(Big Sigh!) Walmart Logic??

Decorating By indydebi Updated 8 Aug 2007 , 6:37pm by rosiecakes

mbelgard Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mbelgard Posted 7 Aug 2007 , 10:03pm
post #61 of 78
Quote:
Originally Posted by mocakes

My two pet peeves about Wal-Mart are the people who do their shopping in fluffy slippers and flannel pajama pants and ME having to load my own groceries!!

At least they aren't parents going to the school to meet with the teachers dressed like that and no bra. With 4 feet of snow on the ground and the pajamas are shorts. icon_lol.gif

lardbutt Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lardbutt Posted 7 Aug 2007 , 10:20pm
post #62 of 78
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ironbaker

icon_lol.gif Funny thread.

I do my whining about Wallyworld usually around the holidays. In.San.I.Ty. During that time, I go late at night since I'm a night owl and it's better because fewer people are there but the line situation still sucks.

Some are so dang dirty and unkept.

But do I still go? Yes. Their prices can't be beat on many things, especially toiletries and some cake supplies. I also get my oil changed there every now and then if I'll be there for awhile.

The placement of products doesn't make sense but I also have noticed it's the same silly logic for other stores. The canned tomatoes remains an unsolved mystery.

However, I've been having a steamy, hot love affair with Target for years now. Don't tell Wally. Target can whisper sweet nothings in my ear about anything and I'm putty in his hand. Their dollar section rules the land.

<~~Sucka icon_rolleyes.gif

Do you know how long I've been sitting here trying to figure out what In.San.I.Ty was! icon_redface.gif I can read mind you, I just have trouble when all those dots are in the word!!! icon_lol.gif

BTW, mbelgard.......the no bra thing get on my nerves too! Some people have tiny, perky boobs and could probally get away with it, although, I still don't reccomend it! But why is it mostly people who have boobs that practically drag the floor choose to go braless? Maybe it's just a southern redneck thang!

If you resent or resemble the previous statement.......start wearing a bra in public!!!!!! icon_wink.gif

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 7 Aug 2007 , 10:24pm
post #63 of 78
Quote:
Originally Posted by meldancer

It also gets me that they have 5000 registers and only the 3 at each end are open, with 50 people in each line. What is that all about? ERRr icon_sad.gif

My hubby, the stand-up comedian, actually wrote a bit about this: "My daughter asked me 'what's a ghost town?' ... so I took her to walmart and pointed to all the 37 closed registers between the 2 open ones on each end and said, 'THAT'S a ghost town!"

We read an article that said walmart staffs based on LAST YEAR'S sales. So for example, our area has had an explosion of new home construction, so there are twice as many people here this year as last year ... but at Christmas, they staff the registers based on LAST year's numbers. icon_confused.gif

jrrn74 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jrrn74 Posted 7 Aug 2007 , 10:51pm
post #64 of 78

I quit shopping at walmart a year ago. I swore I would never go back and so far I haven't. AND, I am saving money. I would go 2-3 times per week and spend at least 50-100 dollars every trip, on useless stuff! I don't like their policys and how they say they help the community when all they do is sell second rate, poor quality items and put the small business owner out of business. I have seen this first hand with my grandmother who owns a fabric store. She had salemen from the suppliers explain to her why she can't even buy the same prints for as cheap as walmart can sell them. It is because they make the same print of fabrics with lower thread count but put the same brand name on them and sell them as first quality. That is the way Walmart does it and then they tell the companies how much they will pay for it. Walmart has to make community donations because if they don't nobody will be able to shop their since Walmart made them close their businesses!

Ironbaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Ironbaker Posted 7 Aug 2007 , 11:05pm
post #65 of 78
Quote:
Originally Posted by MessyBaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ironbaker

icon_lol.gif Funny thread.

I do my whining about Wallyworld usually around the holidays. In.San.I.Ty. During that time, I go late at night since I'm a night owl and it's better because fewer people are there but the line situation still sucks.

Some are so dang dirty and unkept.

But do I still go? Yes. Their prices can't be beat on many things, especially toiletries and some cake supplies. I also get my oil changed there every now and then if I'll be there for awhile.

The placement of products doesn't make sense but I also have noticed it's the same silly logic for other stores. The canned tomatoes remains an unsolved mystery.

However, I've been having a steamy, hot love affair with Target for years now. Don't tell Wally. Target can whisper sweet nothings in my ear about anything and I'm putty in his hand. Their dollar section rules the land.

<~~Sucka icon_rolleyes.gif

Do you know how long I've been sitting here trying to figure out what In.San.I.Ty was! icon_redface.gif I can read mind you, I just have trouble when all those dots are in the word!!! icon_lol.gif

BTW, mbelgard.......the no bra thing get on my nerves too! Some people have tiny, perky boobs and could probally get away with it, although, I still don't reccomend it! But why is it mostly people who have boobs that practically drag the floor choose to go braless? Maybe it's just a southern redneck thang!

If you resent or resemble the previous statement.......start wearing a bra in public!!!!!! icon_wink.gif

LOL! Sorry Messy, that's just me stressing how crazy it is. icon_razz.gif

mocakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mocakes Posted 8 Aug 2007 , 1:04am
post #66 of 78

OK...I do have to post my funny Wal-Mart story that happened about 2 weeks ago...

I was shopping with all 3 of my children...doing our BIG shopping. I break down the list and give each one of the kids their own list and a pen and they are responsible for helping me by checking things off their list and putting it in the cart. (My boys are 10 and 9 and do a pretty good job...but my 4 year old daughter can be a handful while shopping.)

So after about an hour shopping, 50 questions later, my back is killing me, I am actually breaking a sweat trying to quickly unload everything onto the itty bitty counter, trying to keep an eye on my daughter who is into everything and telling my boys over and over again "no...you don't need any candy"....I finally get everything uloaded and and I stand upright to take a breath and notice my 4 year old staring at the checkout lady who is minding her own business and busy putting groceries in the bags.

From out of nowhere, my daughter blurts out....."See mommy, I TOLD you she was a girl." icon_eek.gificon_eek.gif

I look over at the checker who does look slightly masculine, but yet had feminine qualities...SHOCKED that my daughter said something so horrible in front of this woman!! I never said ONE word to my daughter or gave her ANY indication that I wasn't sure if she was a man or a woman.

I am mortified...but the lady keeps doing her job, not making eye contact with either of us. I lean down and very firmly said, "Grace...that is not nice to say. And I did NOT say anything to you."

She quickly replies quite loudly...."Uh-huh....YOU said it was a boy!" icon_eek.gif

I seriously wanted to die right then.
icon_redface.gificon_redface.gificon_redface.gif

I was so mad at my daughter! That poor woman thought I was discussing with my 4 year old whether she was a boy or a girl!!!!

You just never know what those little sweeties are gonna say......

OhMyGoodies Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
OhMyGoodies Posted 8 Aug 2007 , 1:09am
post #67 of 78

LOL my 8 yr old did something like that. But I was guilty... She was about 2 1/2 and the ex-wife was coming up to us in a store and she said hi to her and she said "hi Ms Bitch" lmmfao... I couldn't do anything but turn beat red laughing my butt off right there in the store. She just looked at me shocked and DD started laughing with me and so did hubby. She said "oh I see you teach your daughter to call me names but you can't teach her my real name" she looked up at her again and said "I know you ms ______ but you mean to my daddy you a bit......" I had to walk away lol.

spongemomsweatpants Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
spongemomsweatpants Posted 8 Aug 2007 , 1:58pm
post #68 of 78
Quote:
Originally Posted by KayDay

I hear ya spongemomsweatpants ( i LOVE your name BTW, I TRULY laugh EVERY time I see it) I have been off a couple of days and have insomnia and I have sat for about 2 hours b4 bed lately just commenting....there is some awesome stuff thats getting barely noticed since CC has gotten so big.

lol thanks Kayday...I too have taken a boring rainy day and just trolled the galleries tossing out comments on the undernoticed stuff. There are just soooooo many cool cakes thumbs_up.gif

Tina_Mace Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Tina_Mace Posted 8 Aug 2007 , 3:12pm
post #69 of 78

I also have a love/hate relationship with Wal Mart. I was there a couple of Sundays ago trying to check out about 8:00 pm. We have no "self serve" check outs and was waiting in line. We have about 35 registers and 7 are open -- 4 20 items or less lanes and 3 regular lanes that all have about 6 people with full carts. I then had this family behind me (mom, dad, daugher, son) and the son was bouncing one of those balls and had no intention of buying. I was hit several times when he lost control of the ball and I didn't say anything. He was irritating his parents so bad that when mom and dad walked away to find something, his sister asked him why he did it and he said that if he kept pestering his parents, they would give in -- which they did. I finally made it to the front and was talking to the cashier, complaining about the few lanes open. She then informed me that "corporate" had taken over all the scheduling and was cutting back. They tried that a year ago and it didn't work and gave it back to the store to manage. But I put up with it because it is the cheapest place to buy my groceries.

all4cake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
all4cake Posted 8 Aug 2007 , 3:39pm
post #70 of 78

...and why is freezer section(with the ice creams in it) at the front of the store knowing it's best to get the icream last! but the cooler section (with the milk in it) is all the way to the back!
and why is the deli/bakery at the front? If they wanna lure people to buy that stuff...stick it in the back and pipe cooking smells throughout the store...more than half the time I forget that dept...and just look at those annoying display tables that greet you at the front door as just that...pathway annoyances.

michellenj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
michellenj Posted 8 Aug 2007 , 3:49pm
post #71 of 78

I would never buy seafood from the seafood dept. at my Walmart. It reeks so bad I can hardly stand to pass it.

rosiecakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rosiecakes Posted 8 Aug 2007 , 4:06pm
post #72 of 78

OK i read the entire thread before responding, and Yes I admit to the love hate relationship but for different reasons than you all mention here. Of course I love my $.88 DH and lower prices but its because they are so huge that they have such buying power that makes them hard for the mom and pop store (OR HOME BAKER) to compete with. Big chains like WM are the reason people don't always see the value of the product we offer because THEIR low prices undermine the work WE do.

I live in a a small town with a superwalmart that is one of the major employers in town. While I am gratful we have those jobs here, It is extremely hard for the smaller businesses to survive when people know they can go up the street to WM and get things much cheaper. Now I am a single mom on a very tight budget so I can't always afford to take a stand, but I do like to reward the smaller establishments with my business and thank them for their personal service, I think that goes a long way in building a better community in which to live.

***and a shameless plug for anyone else living in picayune, Celebrations is a wonderful little gift/cake store run by the sweetest people who will order anything you need if you give them notice so I rarely visit the wilton aisle at WM anymore!****

all4cake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
all4cake Posted 8 Aug 2007 , 4:08pm
post #73 of 78

For the record....

I've been employed by Wal~Mart (off and on and off and on and off and on and...)since 1983.

I never said I hated them...the layout truly makes no sense to me

The store associates piss me off to no end on a regular basis but I know from experience that once addressed, even that can have a positive outcome for all(including the B*&^% that gave me major attitude while ringing me up because it interfered with her stocking).

I stopped shopping there for 4 months because of the lack of consideration of the associates as a whole. as a shopper, I never ever gave anyone the impression that they were there for me and without my business they wouldn't be there. but I got a lot of "YOU need US" attitude.

I like the prices there.

mrsw Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mrsw Posted 8 Aug 2007 , 4:59pm
post #74 of 78

Well I have to say here in my small town the WM is tiny - no superstore here - City regulations (whatever) We have a very limited size, stock and no produce, no meat, no bakery, one (1) fridge section w/ luncheon meat type stuff- can't really call it food (imho), three isles of "non-perishable" items , no florist dept, very little stock of anything and friggin Christmas stuff in October icon_mad.gif - I would really be glad to have such a love/hate relationship with my WM if I actually had one worthy of such - Isn't it all just good news/bad news? Glass half empty/ glass half full way of looking at it all?

itsmylife Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
itsmylife Posted 8 Aug 2007 , 5:30pm
post #75 of 78

Thanks to my wonderful trip to WM yesterday... I now have a story to add to this thread. (sorry for the length)

So, I go to WM looking for 3 things.... a plunger, some chicken, and some spray on hair color for my son. He is in a mini soccer camp and today was supposed to be 'wacky Wednesday' where they come with their face or hair painted.

Now I know the plunger is on one side of WM (by the garden center), and the chicken is on the opposite side. The hair stuff... I have no idea, so I get the plunger and find the first associate I see for help. Well..... she spoke NO ENGLISH!!!! My spanish skills are minimal, and my charades skills are even worse (pointing to my son's head, making a spray sound, and pointing to his blue shirt).

So on to the next associate. He thinks it's in the hair color/dye aisle (by the shampoo). Well, we get there (back over by the garden center) and that wasn't right.

So I find the third associate in the hair dye aisle. She thinks it's by the crayola stuff and kids finger paints (middle of the store). Ok... me and my four and two year old (who are getting reeeeeally antsy) now go there.... BIG surpise... no hair spray here.

Now I wander back to the toy department (at least the kids will be happy). We're now in the back of the store..... up and down every aisle - still no hair spray. Grrrrrrrrr.

I find another associate in the shoe department. "please help me find this stuff" - she thinks it's in the hair/shampoo aisle. icon_mad.gificon_mad.gificon_mad.gif She asks the electronics guy - he thinks he saw it in the front of the store by the makeup. Ok, up to the makeup department. Can you guess?!?!? NO HAIR SPRAY!

So I go over to the grocery side to get my chicken thinking well maybe I could just use a little wilton color on my son's head icon_confused.gif . As I'm standing there, I see another mom who's daughter had a little cheerleader outfit on, and her hair was painted. So I ran over to her (I think I scared her a bit)... asked her about the hair stuff, and she said oh it's in the party supply aisle by the cake stuff. HUH?!?!?! icon_mad.gificon_eek.gif

Sure enough.... back to the middle of the store, in the aisle with the wilton pans is silly string and hairspray/paint. Cupcake pans on one side of it and sprinkles on the other.

Damn them and their stupid low prices.

mbelgard Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mbelgard Posted 8 Aug 2007 , 5:31pm
post #76 of 78

MessyBaker, it's not a southern thing I promise. I live about as far north as you can in the lower 48, I'm no more than 6 miles from Canada in North Dakota and witnessed this last year in the school.

crislen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
crislen Posted 8 Aug 2007 , 6:23pm
post #77 of 78

icon_biggrin.gif this thread cracks me up!

I remember when Walmart bought out Woolco in Canada and took over their stores, people were so excited. They initiallly treated their staff really well (my sister worked there during the takeover) and made a pledge/promise (posted in store) that cashier lineups would never be longer than 3 people. This won over alot of people who began shopping there. LMAO. I think that lasted less than a year. My sister left within 6 months due to horrific new management (not saying all management is horrible, just hers) and now they have the same long lineups as all the other stores.

No superwalmarts here yet, but they'll come and thrive. But I know some people here are really loyal to their grocery stores (my mom!). We even have main grocery store here that not only bags your groceries, but has special cart thingies to carry them out to your car for you without you having to ask!! And their prices are the same if not better than the local safeway or IGA!

But I admit, I love Walmart. I was excited when I moved to a place where Walmart was on my way home. I can make one stop and get everything sans groceries and get my daily workout in! And since people are so lazy now, I can walk to the very last checkout way down at the end and cut my wait time in half!

On the flip side, I know my customers (or future customers icon_biggrin.gif ) are paying for custom, not grocery store generic (our walmarts don't sell cakes yet).

Off to work I go (this place is so addictive!)

rosiecakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rosiecakes Posted 8 Aug 2007 , 6:37pm
post #78 of 78

Well i think that whole concept has spread to this lil town. IT took a little getting used ot when i first moved here coming from New Olreans but this is the gist of it-

If you are looking for soccer socks- go to the pool store.
Need to know about boy scouts? try the florist.
Information about swimming lessons? why the trophy/monogram store of course!
Need to rent an appartment? talk to the lady at walmart's deli
ANd if you want to sign your kid up for soccer- you go to godfather's pizza icon_smile.gif
and so on and so on. Scary part is that I have actually gotten used to the way you get things done around here!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%