(Big Sigh!) Walmart Logic??

Decorating By indydebi Updated 8 Aug 2007 , 6:37pm by rosiecakes

mbelgard Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mbelgard Posted 7 Aug 2007 , 2:42pm
post #31 of 78

We're getting a super Walmart in the next county sometime in the spring and I'm so glad. I don't like some of their stuff (clothes and housewares) but when their regular prices on food is better than what we consider a good sale it will be worth the drive.
We have a Pamida right next to where the Walmart is going up and some toys that are $5-$6 at Walmart are $8-$9 there and that will be nice.
In the town I normally stop at we have an ALCO and half the time you can't get through the aisles becasue for some reason they stock in the middle of the day and leave their boxes all over. Why they do this when they close at 8pm is beyond me, I can see restocking stuff that's out but major rearrangements. icon_rolleyes.gif We're happy about Walmart coming in because we hate going to this store.

Tellis12 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Tellis12 Posted 7 Aug 2007 , 2:51pm
post #32 of 78

I guess I must be in the minority. I don't mind Wal-Mart that much. I do find it very chaotic and I don't shop there that often, but I think it serves a good purpose and I don't think it's evil. I didn't work at Wal-Mart but I did work at Sam's club and for me it was a good experience. I liked the people I worked with and I don't imagine it's that different from Wal-Mart. These are just my thoughts.

spongemomsweatpants Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
spongemomsweatpants Posted 7 Aug 2007 , 2:51pm
post #33 of 78
Quote:
Originally Posted by jenbenjr

Quote:
Originally Posted by baka4lyfe20

I stopped going to Wal-Mart a few years ago after I saw some program on CNBC about them. Unfortunately, I can't get my parents to stop!

Do you honestly believe everything you hear? You know, this topic really gets on my nerves and offends me. I worked in Walmart management for 8 yrs. and I worked my butt off! You all say how Walmart is so bad you all hate it but you all will be there tomorrow or this weekend right? Why do you think they are so successful? It's because all of you shop there!!! And the reason why it is so big is because they have so much stuff. If they didn't, you would complain about that too! You complain about having to walk so much......well you know what? We all need the exercise anyway! America is becoming obese ya know? I got a novel idea, if you don't like it......don't go!

relax...not ALL of us said we hated them, in fact my post was more pointing towards how back woods the staff is and really did not critize the store it self. Every one is entitled to their opinions, some complain about paying their taxes but still drive on tax funded road ways, some complain about fair trade coffee but still drink what ever kind they can get their hands on. Some compalin about meat eaters but still wear leather birkenstocks. And SOME complain about people complaining, and tell them to stay out of certain establishments, but if they did stay out that establishment would have to start making budget cuts...the first that would get the ax are those in management.

aundron Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
aundron Posted 7 Aug 2007 , 2:53pm
post #34 of 78

LOL!! I love this!!

WalMart is good for one thing: CHEAP DUNCAN HINES!!! Other than that, I don't go there, I'm a professed Target and Kroger shopper!!

One thing I hate about Wal Mart; why do they only have 5 lanes open and they have 500 people waiting in line to be checked out??? icon_mad.gif This drives me nuts!!!! I try to do the self checkout, but you have 200 people waiting in line for that!!!

At Target, if they see a lot of people waiting in line, they IMMEDIATELY call everybody to the front so the customers don't have to wait!!!

Cynita Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cynita Posted 7 Aug 2007 , 2:57pm
post #35 of 78

becakelly, uummm?

jenbenjr Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jenbenjr Posted 7 Aug 2007 , 2:59pm
post #36 of 78
Quote:
Originally Posted by spongemomsweatpants

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by baka4lyfe20

I stopped going to Wal-Mart a few years ago after I saw some program on CNBC about them. Unfortunately, I can't get my parents to stop!

Do you honestly believe everything you hear? You know, this topic really gets on my nerves and offends me. I worked in Walmart management for 8 yrs. and I worked my butt off! You all say how Walmart is so bad you all hate it but you all will be there tomorrow or this weekend right? Why do you think they are so successful? It's because all of you shop there!!! And the reason why it is so big is because they have so much stuff. If they didn't, you would complain about that too! You complain about having to walk so much......well you know what? We all need the exercise anyway! America is becoming obese ya know? I got a novel idea, if you don't like it......don't go!

relax...not ALL of us said we hated them, in fact my post was more pointing towards how back woods the staff is and really did not critize the store it self. Every one is entitled to their opinions, some complain about paying their taxes but still drive on tax funded road ways, some complain about fair trade coffee but still drink what ever kind they can get their hands on. Some compalin about meat eaters but still wear leather birkenstocks. And SOME complain about people complaining, and tell them to stay out of certain establishments, but if they did stay out that establishment would have to start making budget cuts...the first that would get the ax are those in management.

And what walmart did you work in that you know this....because that isn't true! I didn't say that everyone was complaining about it. I knew that some ppl were saying that they liked it. I am just saying that these are the type of threads that offend some ppl and we aren't here to talk about how much we hate walmart. Keep those types of opinions to yourself.

spongemomsweatpants Posted 7 Aug 2007 , 3:08pm
post #37 of 78

I did not ever work in a wal mart icon_smile.gif but I do understand the basic concepts of economics and microeconomics having taken more than a few lower and upper level classes on both subjects. As well as behaviors in orgs, biz management, and too many accounting classes to name. It is pretty much common knowledge that when a comapny losses part of it's customer base, said company downsizes, the first to get the ax are the ones making the most money, like management. Like I said...basic knowledge. Further more do you truly think the powers that be give a rats patooty what some small gaggle of folks have to say about their stores on some cake decorating site? People are just giving their opinons not personally bashing you. "Keep those types of opinions to yourself" I will be sure to clear any and all of my opinions with those who have thin skin in the future. icon_rolleyes.gif

jenbenjr Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jenbenjr Posted 7 Aug 2007 , 3:16pm
post #38 of 78

Well, all I am gonna say now is that I guess I am below you because I did work there. I guess I don't know anything either....thank goodness I had my second baby and my husband is fortunate enough to have a good job so I could quit mine and stay at home with the kids! Geez...I didn't know so many ppl were so ignorant. I'm out.

spongemomsweatpants Posted 7 Aug 2007 , 3:25pm
post #39 of 78
Quote:

Well, all I am gonna say now is that I guess I am below you because I did work there. I guess I don't know anything either....thank goodness I had my second baby and my husband is fortunate enough to have a good job so I could quit mine and stay at home with the kids! Geez...I didn't know so many ppl were so ignorant. I'm out.

wow!! are you going to be ok???
I did NOT say that anyone who worked at wal-mart was below me, nor did I try to imply that you do not know anything. That is nuts. You claimed that my statement was "not true", I will not be called a liar just becasue I was never employed at a wal mart. My statements are in fact very true as is common knowledge to anyone who has any kind of business backround. I did say that the majority of those who work at our local wal-mart are very scary, and trust me if you went there, you'd know exactly what I mean. I am done with this nonesensical conversation, clearly you are very sensitve to this subject and I am sorry if my comments were being misinterpertered by you. I was just trying to say that everyone is entitled to their opinions.

Cynita Posted 7 Aug 2007 , 3:32pm
post #40 of 78

I believe it's ok to share our different opinions but I think we step out of line and do offend others when our opinions become to personal and blunt. We just should be more careful about what we say and how we say it. All of us here definitely have one thing in common and that is we love CAKE! When we stray off and start giving objective opinions we are definitely going to run into offending someone here. Here we have people from all walks of life......from store clerks to attorneys......from black people to white people.......from lower class to upper class. So, just think before we speak.....because we are not sitting on our living room couches talking to folks that are just like us but we are talking to a range of different people that just share one thing in common and that is cake.
Much love to u all,
Cynita

Cynita Posted 7 Aug 2007 , 3:33pm
post #41 of 78

I believe it's ok to share our different opinions but I think we step out of line and do offend others when our opinions become to personal and blunt. We just should be more careful about what we say and how we say it. All of us here definitely have one thing in common and that is we love CAKE! When we stray off and start giving objective opinions we are definitely going to run into offending someone here. Here we have people from all walks of life......from store clerks to attorneys......from black people to white people.......from lower class to upper class. So, just think before we speak.....because we are not sitting on our living room couches talking to folks that are just like us but we are talking to a range of different people that just share one thing in common and that is cake.
Much love to u all,
Cynita

OhMyGoodies Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
OhMyGoodies Posted 7 Aug 2007 , 3:45pm
post #42 of 78

Ok well I can see that some people take things a little too seriously and a little too hard...

No where did anyone say people that worked at walmart were ignorant and nowhere did anyone pin point jenbenjr out and say they were ignorant.

We were all just talking about why we dislike WalMart's way of organizing their stores and why some of us hate having to go in there, why some don't go at all, and why some are waiting for a better alternative like the target they are currently building right across the road practically from my house....

No one was bashing anyone or anything like that and if you worked at WalMart that doesn't make you any less then anyone here that didn't work there. I have family members that have worked there and they are no less of a person because of it. If you are being said to be less then someone else it's because you're acting childish about all this. But no one said you were less then any other person here.

I think this got taken out of hand and went into the wrong direction. But I do think you need to stop being so childish and see what is really being said in this thread. You are acting like Sam Walton's wife or something... defending WalMart till the end even though you no longer work there... and it must not have been the best damn job in the world - so to speak - or you would've gone back after your baby was born.

All I'm saying is we've had WalMart in our town for 12-15 years now and one in a neighboring town for almost as long. I've shopped at both of these for many many years now and still do now, although I dread it because of how packed it is and sometimes because yes it is hard to find things because of the way they have their stores organized. BUT! The one thing I can say I've noticed over the years.... there isn't a single person working there that was there when the store opened. Not one single person. Management, and everyone under them, has changed so often it should say something for either the company or the store. Since managers are even leaving and people incharge of the store itself are leaving... I'd have to say it has something to do with the way company is being run.

Which store did I work for to gather my info? None. It's basic public knowledge when you go to a store once a week weather you like to or not. You see people come and go so often that it makes you wonder what is going on that they can't keep anyone and that they are hiring every single day for the last 4 years. And no that's not just "we're currently accepting applications to keep on file" type thing it's interviewing every single day hiring new people every single day because people keep leaving type thing... There has to be something going on there.

But anyway yeah no one was making a direct hit to you jenben and I do think you over reacted a bit. But that's just my opinion.

Edited to add: Yes although we are all here mainly for Cake Talk, this is the General forum threads and can be off topic from cakes. If Jackie and Heath didn't want us to be able to talk about anything OTHER then cakes they wouldn't have put it here. You can't control how people think or feel and you can't really control peoples opinions. The only thing I see is this thread getting locked in the near future if people take things to heart too much. No one is directly basing anyone or anything like that we're all venting our frustrations with the way stores (not just walmart if you read all the posts) stock their merchandise.

beccakelly Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
beccakelly Posted 7 Aug 2007 , 4:36pm
post #43 of 78

you always know what to say ohmygoodies. i hope i didn't offend anyone, but it sounds like i did. i didn't say ALL people who shop at walmart smell. (my sister goes there because thats the only place to go in her small town). just that the ratio seems higher there than at other stores. LOL. and that there are many other things about it that i don't like. i don't complain and still shop there anyway, i express my dislike for that store by, as i said, going elsewhere. thumbs_up.gif

4Gifts4Lisa Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
4Gifts4Lisa Posted 7 Aug 2007 , 4:42pm
post #44 of 78
Quote:
Originally Posted by indydebi

And why are tampons NOT in the same aisle with toilet paper? icon_mad.gif

Because they are in the plumbing dept. Duh. Don't be a dum-dum. icon_lol.gif

OhMyGoodies Posted 7 Aug 2007 , 4:43pm
post #45 of 78

I used to work at Acme Markets and you would not believe the way people would come to the store... dirty stankin and just plain out nasty lol. And they'd sit there and get all close to me and stuff while I was bagging their items and I just wanted to be as rude as them and tell them to back off cause they stink but I didn't I just tried not to breath and continued lol.

And no I wasn't implying everyone in the world stinks because they shop at Acme Markets... just a few inparticular that I came into contact with working there lol...

OhMyGoodies Posted 7 Aug 2007 , 4:45pm
post #46 of 78
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4Gifts4Lisa

Quote:

For some ODD reason they are over with the condoms and pregnancy tests.... I mean really #1 if I needed a pregnancy test I obviously forgot the condoms lol #2 if I need the pregnancy test I damn sure don't need the tampons and visaversa lol

KayDay Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KayDay Posted 7 Aug 2007 , 4:54pm
post #47 of 78

HEHE.....I do have a stance on the "MART" topic but not gonna take it here...however would like to say since our main common ground here IS cake...why dont some folks take some of the time they are spending here spreading ill will between them and go comment some of the lovely cakes here that are going unnoticed or getting like ONE whole comment? We could spend a few minutes making someone feel good about themselves and their hard work or welcoming a newcomer. I'm not telling anyone what they "have" to do ...just seems far more productive. Just an opinion.

GenGen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
GenGen Posted 7 Aug 2007 , 4:56pm
post #48 of 78
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4Gifts4Lisa

Quote:

in our walmart their in a square u s haped alcove of the store not far from the pharmacy where you first hit the baby lotions deoderant then the condoms and feminine hygene products then the depends; pads and tampons lol oh and for some reason across from the tampons are the curling irons and hair clippers icon_rolleyes.gif

that must be some hair cutting job icon_lol.gif

spongemomsweatpants Posted 7 Aug 2007 , 5:07pm
post #49 of 78
Quote:
Originally Posted by KayDay

HEHE.....I do have a stance on the "MART" topic but not gonna take it here...however would like to say since our main common ground here IS cake...why dont some folks take some of the time they are spending here spreading ill will between them and go comment some of the lovely cakes here that are going unnoticed or getting like ONE whole comment? We could spend a few minutes making someone feel good about themselves and their hard work or welcoming a newcomer. I'm not telling anyone what they "have" to do ...just seems far more productive. Just an opinion.

I agree I have tried to comment on at least 3 cakes a day but really shoot for 4+. If we all could commit to a certain # a day then everyone could feel the cake love.

KayDay Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KayDay Posted 7 Aug 2007 , 5:12pm
post #50 of 78

I hear ya spongemomsweatpants ( i LOVE your name BTW, I TRULY laugh EVERY time I see it) I have been off a couple of days and have insomnia and I have sat for about 2 hours b4 bed lately just commenting....there is some awesome stuff thats getting barely noticed since CC has gotten so big.

mrsw Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mrsw Posted 7 Aug 2007 , 5:30pm
post #51 of 78

Oooh just wait until marketing finds out some of you have memorized the store - They are gonna totally change it around on you - It's a conspiracy I tell you - Am I paranoid? I think not
Some one stop the ride, I wanna get off!!!

BCJean Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BCJean Posted 7 Aug 2007 , 5:33pm
post #52 of 78

This is, one of the reasons, why you can charge more for your cakes and your customers are willing to pay the price. They don't have to deal with shopping in a, less than desirable atmosphere. I live in a small town, I love going to the local hardware store and grocery store. You walk in...tell them what you want and they run and get it for you. The few pennies more I may or may not pay for it are well spent and it keeps the family owned business going. I love the homey friendly feeling. I know you must have cake customers who also love dealing with you personally.

Ldydesignr Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Ldydesignr Posted 7 Aug 2007 , 5:34pm
post #53 of 78

Please, please, please...no more Wal-Mart bashing!! They are my bread and butter!! thumbs_up.gif I work for an engineering firm (in the real world) and Wal-Mart is one of our biggest client! Before you ask, I do structural work and have no control over merchandise arrangement!!! icon_lol.gif

But I do know what you mean, big grocery stores seem to take so much longer to check out and I do tend to pick up things that I had no idea I needed until I went into the store!!

mocakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mocakes Posted 7 Aug 2007 , 5:46pm
post #54 of 78

[/quote]

For some ODD reason they are over with the condoms and pregnancy tests.... I mean really #1 if I needed a pregnancy test I obviously forgot the condoms lol #2 if I need the pregnancy test I damn sure don't need the tampons and visaversa lol[/quote]

Oh my gosh...that's the funniest thing I've heard all day! icon_lol.gificon_lol.gif

I am one that loves/hates Wal-Mart too! When it comes to saving money for my family...I love paying the lower prices. I, too, cannot stand paying $2.39 for Duncan Hines at Schnucks when I know I can buy it for $.93 at Wal-Mart.

But I hate mustering up the energy it takes to do my shopping there!

My two pet peeves about Wal-Mart are the people who do their shopping in fluffy slippers and flannel pajama pants and ME having to load my own groceries!!

I couldn't believe it when they first started that idea....I thought "are you kidding me??" I am spending almost $300, standing in line forEVER just to unload my groceries on the ever shrinking counter and now you expect me to load up my own cart?? I work up a sweat just going through the check-out line!!!! icon_rolleyes.gif

BCJean Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BCJean Posted 7 Aug 2007 , 5:48pm
post #55 of 78

ldydesignr.....You are right..WalMart does have its place in our life. They do offer jobs to people who may, for whatever reason, not be able to get hired elsewhere. They work until they are able to move on to other options. They offer many items at a very affordable price. Their return policies are awesome. You can go there in the middle of a project and not worry about cleaning up first. Parking a long ways from the front door is uaually relatively simple and gives you your daily exercise. We just need to accept that the shopping trip is to get what we want for the price we want to pay....not to enjoy the experience. I don't see a problem with voicing our displeasure though...let's you know you aren't the only one who noticed all of these things.

OhMyGoodies Posted 7 Aug 2007 , 5:49pm
post #56 of 78

I'll admit since my walmart doesn't offer meats or anything more then milk and butter in the cold food section and hot pockets and ice cream and some frozen types of meat like hamburger patties and chicken patties... I will only buy my bread and eggs and canned goods at WM and will end up having the hassle of having to drive all the way to other side of town (past my home which falls in the middle of the two) and get meats. Sometimes not being able to because we are amoung those other people out there in the world who are on a very very TIGHT budget for food because the household bills skyrocketed above what we were able to afford. So yeah we struggle to find bargins and deals on all types of food and even though WalMart is the cheapest... even if it wasn't... on bread I'd get it there anyway because it's the freshest in town! Some things I can find cheaper elsewhere but bread and canned veggies are cheapest there lol.

So I'm not gonna bash walmart, or stop going there, but I have limited my trips there because as some have stated it's just rediculous trying to even check out. We have 26 check out lanes in ours that are run by cashiers on the busiest days, the weekends, they have only 5-7 registers open. Then they have 4 self check outs that on a daily basis 2 are always broken lol. It's hard to get customer service to help you with anything, and when they can help you they are limited on their help. I've only found 2 people in the entire store that will actually walk with me and start a conversation with me while taking me directly to what I'm looking for and then putting it in my cart for me! without asking for any additional help. The only reason they do it... because one of them is my old social worker and one of them fell in love with my daughter when she was a baby and has been there for the past maybe 4 years.. that we've been going in there and she's very nice.... not too many like that in there.

Now that I think about it there is 1 person that's been there since opening... he's an older man and is being slowly pushed out the door due to age or whatever... he started as head of security and is now down to cart pusher.

But yeah no more bashing walmart for whatever reasons.... just add in why your local store is weird about stocking icon_wink.gif

JRAE33 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JRAE33 Posted 7 Aug 2007 , 6:15pm
post #57 of 78
Quote:
Quote:

mocakes wrote: My two pet peeves about Wal-Mart are the people who do their shopping in fluffy slippers and flannel pajama pants and ME having to load my own groceries!!

icon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gif First of all...the pj/slipper thing really cracks me up for a couple of reasons. I live in a small town and we always laugh when we have company over who's going to go to the store our whatever....they'll say "do I look okay" and we have to tell them...if you aren't wearing your pj's you'll be the best dressed there icon_lol.gif One night I wasn't feeling well and went to the store in my pj pants...and guess what? I wasn't the worst dressed icon_lol.gif

As for slippers...I used to manage a women's clothing store in a "rough" city and slippers were worn by MANY of my customers walking in the door. I just don't get it! Still makes me laugh whenever I see it...

As for loading groceries...our cashiers are pretty good about loading if I don't do it, but I usually do just to get out quicker. However, when I was going to school there was a SuperWalMart right down the road. So I would go there before class and one day I had the cashier tell me I could start loading my groceries any time now icon_eek.gif . I couldn't believe it!! I don't shop at that WalMart anymore...it's further from my house and in the same city as all my former slipper wearing customers...the place is a little rough for me! I don't blame WalMart for the rude cashier....doesn't matter where you go now days...some rude person is always lurking around the corner to try and knock you down!

OhMyGoodies Posted 7 Aug 2007 , 6:50pm
post #58 of 78

The other night I had my husband run to the grocery store (closest to the house) for an emergency tampon run lmfao he ran in and paid for $5.00 worth of "products" and used a $100.00 bill. The guy laughed so hard at him and said I'd hate to see what you do when you need change for a $50.00 is that when you buy a pack of 25 cent gum or one $2.00 box of rubbers. I thought you rude jerk! He said it in a really harsh tone and you could tell he was annoyed. He said normally when I need to break a larger bill because the next place I'm going won't have change... I buy what's needed and this is what's needed. The manager, a great friend of hubby's came over and started raggin on him for buyin tampons lol. Said he'd never be caught dead buyin them things lol. Gotta love him!

lardbutt Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lardbutt Posted 7 Aug 2007 , 9:35pm
post #59 of 78

OK, I haven't read all of the responses yet, hope I'm not repeating anyone!

Yeah, Wally World irritates the crap out of me, but I put up with it for the lower prices. With soon to be 5 kids, if I shopped at a regular grocery store, I'd be up the creek and HUNGRY!

My biggest camplaint is all those dang registers they have in the stores!! But they only have like 3 or 4 open every time I go! icon_mad.gif And believe me I'm the person you hate to be behind! I ALWAYS have two carts full, I can't help that!

Another is wrong pricing! Alot of times things don't ring up correctly, but just try to get that $3 off that is posted as THEIR policy that is displayed on every register.........It's like trying to get a passport!

I too have a love/hate relationship with Walmart, but would icon_cry.gif if they went away!

Ironbaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Ironbaker Posted 7 Aug 2007 , 9:46pm
post #60 of 78

icon_lol.gif Funny thread.

I do my whining about Wallyworld usually around the holidays. In.San.I.Ty. During that time, I go late at night since I'm a night owl and it's better because fewer people are there but the line situation still sucks.

Some are so dang dirty and unkept.

But do I still go? Yes. Their prices can't be beat on many things, especially toiletries and some cake supplies. I also get my oil changed there every now and then if I'll be there for awhile.

The placement of products doesn't make sense but I also have noticed it's the same silly logic for other stores. The canned tomatoes remains an unsolved mystery.

However, I've been having a steamy, hot love affair with Target for years now. Don't tell Wally. Target can whisper sweet nothings in my ear about anything and I'm putty in his hand. Their dollar section rules the land.

<~~Sucka icon_rolleyes.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%