Wilton Class Iii

Decorating By soshye Updated 7 Aug 2007 , 4:18pm by iramirez94

soshye Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
soshye Posted 6 Aug 2007 , 11:41pm
post #1 of 18

Off hand, does anyone know what they spent on supplies in addition to the class and the course III kit. I am trying to budget. I know we'll need to buy fondant. How many cakes did you make in that class? Money is a bit tighter than I had thought this month so I am trying to figure everything out. Any help would be great.

Thanks
Angela

17 replies
leily Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leily Posted 7 Aug 2007 , 12:36am
post #2 of 18

I don't remember how much I spent in supplies but mainly b/c I had a lot of equipment before I took the classes so I pretty much only had to buy the kits.

However there were two cakes. One was approximately an 8" square to put fondant over in class (take to class baked and iced)

And then your final cake which is a tiered cake. We had the option to do anything and any size as long as it was two tiers.

As for the square cake I think it is week two you will need it. I was getting tired of cake so I made a double layer rice crispy cake iced with buttercream and took that. It worked just as well, saved money, and saved time in the kitchen with all the baking. Just another idea.

newlywedws Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
newlywedws Posted 7 Aug 2007 , 12:59am
post #3 of 18

I don't recall what I spent off hand - but don't forget your 40% off coupons that Michael's sometimes offers -plus the 10% class discount...and remember Michael's will also honour competitor coupon (Joann and AC Moore).

If you would send me a pm w/ your email addy, I could scan and email you the info that says what you need each week for each class.

swheatsue Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
swheatsue Posted 7 Aug 2007 , 1:17am
post #4 of 18

I don't remember how much it weighed but the large brick of Wilton fondant was enough for all the cakes in Course 3. I don't think I bought any more supplies than that. Everything else was included in the student kit. You could make your own which would really save a lot of money. I found "Rhonda's MMF" works well. I have an AC Moore 50% off coupon only good tomorrow if you would like me to email it to you. That would save you about $10.00. Just PM me.

aladria Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
aladria Posted 7 Aug 2007 , 1:28am
post #5 of 18

I can tell you exactly what you have to have for course 3 i'm a Wilton instructor so i know what you need and what is just filler that Wilton would like you to buy. you need to buy fondant for 2 different cakes... one for the 2nd night (a square cake) and one for the 4th night ( that will be a 6 and 8 or 10 inch tiered cake)..... and depending on your instructor... you might be able to not cover night 4's cake with fondant... i don't make my students. the only things that you should really need other than what's in the course 3 kit is the dowel rods $3 at the most. the tapered spatula, which you might be able to get away with not having, and I would purchase the big thing of fondant with a Michaels 40% off coupon... which if you don't have one you just tell them that you would like to use it and they just have you sign a little paper. so i'm thinking about $20 if you use the coupon.

you will need a rolling pin, but one that you have at home should work... i do recommend buying the big Wilton one when money isn't so tight if you'll be working with fondant a lot.

and in aug. the class is 30% off the normal coast of the class.

you'll also need a batch of royal icing and 2 batches of buttercream to bring to class. and of course the buttercream you use to cover your cakes.

soshye Posted 7 Aug 2007 , 2:02am
post #6 of 18

Thank you so much. I do have a 40% off coupon but I have to buy the Course II kit because I am taking them out of order and the instructor said I needed some of the course II stuff. I should get another coupon in Sundays paper though. They come out every other week here. I need to look up royal icing because I havent learned that yet. They arent doing the course II class until October here. I have course III this month and then next month Fondant and gumpaste class.

aladria Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
aladria Posted 7 Aug 2007 , 12:39pm
post #7 of 18

royal icing is in the course 3 book.... it's made with meringue powder, powdered sugar and water. you won't need it until the 3rd night of class. so don't worry about it for now.

good luck...

soshye Posted 7 Aug 2007 , 2:26pm
post #8 of 18

Oh, cool. Thanks for the heads up.

Angela

meldancer Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
meldancer Posted 7 Aug 2007 , 2:36pm
post #9 of 18

I'm taking Course 3 right now, actually tonight is my final! YEA! If your instructor allows it, make the MMF instead of buying the Wilton fondant to cover your cake, lots cheaper! You will still need some Wilton fondant for decorations on your cakes, it hardens better. Good luck and have fun!

iramirez94 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
iramirez94 Posted 7 Aug 2007 , 2:46pm
post #10 of 18

I am taking the fondant course and I asked my instructor if I could use MMF to cover my cake. She said NO, she wants me to use the Wilton fondant. Will she know it is not the wilton fondant???? I have never made MMF.

My class is on Thursday

meldancer Posted 7 Aug 2007 , 2:50pm
post #11 of 18

MMF isn't as white as Wilton fondant, she may notice icon_sad.gif

meldancer Posted 7 Aug 2007 , 2:50pm
post #12 of 18

and it smells better than Wilton.

iramirez94 Posted 7 Aug 2007 , 3:13pm
post #13 of 18

Then I will color it and use the Wilton to make the flowers .. ha!

ZAKIA6 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ZAKIA6 Posted 7 Aug 2007 , 3:32pm
post #14 of 18

i used mmf for my final cake in course 3 - dont think anyone noticed.

mommyinaprilx2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mommyinaprilx2 Posted 7 Aug 2007 , 3:53pm
post #15 of 18
Quote:
Quote:

I am taking the fondant course and I asked my instructor if I could use MMF to cover my cake. She said NO, she wants me to use the Wilton fondant. Will she know it is not the wilton fondant???? I have never made MMF.

My class is on Thursday

I don't have a problem with my students using mmf or even buttercream on the last night of the class. That stuff in nasty so I try never to use it. lol As wilton instructors we have to try to sell the wilton products so that is probably why she said you had to use the wilton fondant. I just tell me students to cover in buttercream or some kind of fondant that last night. icon_smile.gif

mommyinaprilx2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mommyinaprilx2 Posted 7 Aug 2007 , 3:54pm
post #16 of 18

O and I think I would go ahead and use the mmf and maybe tint it. Also once it is on there then what can anyone do make you pull it off? lol

iramirez94 Posted 7 Aug 2007 , 4:16pm
post #17 of 18

Thanks mommyinaprilx2 (are you expecting twins- i had my twin girls in April 2004)

I was thinking of making Micheles fondant or MMF! I am going to check to see which ingredients I have..

thanks again

iramirez94 Posted 7 Aug 2007 , 4:18pm
post #18 of 18

Mommyinaprilx2, my instructor said i can add flavorings to the Wilton Fondant to make it taste better.. have you ever done that. I already purchased a 5lb box

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%