Who Cooks Your Birthday Cake????

Decorating By katharry Updated 29 Dec 2006 , 4:36am by moejoe

katharry Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
katharry Posted 4 Oct 2006 , 6:55am
post #1 of 67

Its my birthday today! Im going up to my Mums house for dinner tonight. I see her this afternoon and she asks me what kind of cake I am bringing. icon_surprised.gificon_eek.gificon_confused.gif

Is this what happens when you start cake decorating. You have to make your own cake? icon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gif

I had 40 minutes after I cooked the cake to decorate! Still cant get that BC smooth! icon_mad.gificon_mad.gif Will go and buy one of those foam roller things to try.

Would love to know what you guys do for your own birthdays! Have a great night everyone. thumbs_up.gif

Cheers
Kathryn
LL

66 replies
veejaytx Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
veejaytx Posted 4 Oct 2006 , 7:02am
post #2 of 67

Awww, your birthday cake is so cute! I baked one for myself in August at the same time I was baking one for my nephew's BD a couple of days before mine. On my BD my DS & DIL brought me a Baskin Robbins ice cream cake, chocolate cake, pistacio almond ice cream (my favorite), and I was very surprised.

Bet you will have surprises for your BD too, even though you baked your own cake, and you have to admit, nobody could have done it better!

Happy Birthday To You! Janice

redpanda Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
redpanda Posted 4 Oct 2006 , 7:02am
post #3 of 67

What a cute cake!

When I get a cake at all, my dh buys an ice cream cake at Ben & Jerry's. (mmmmm Cherry Garcia!) I don't care for buttercream or whipped icing, and love ice cream, so that works just fine for me.

I haven't made my own birthday cake before, but I did do the cake for my Master's degree celebration. (Wilton graduation cap pan with chocolate tassel and buttercream roses)

RP

mthiberge Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mthiberge Posted 4 Oct 2006 , 7:04am
post #4 of 67

Very cute!! I honestly don't eat alot of cake...I know that's taboo to say around here, but it's true. My mom makes a wicked homemade ice cream cake that I love, I also like no bake cherry cheese cake. Usually my mom makes my sister and I cakes for our birthdays, even though we're older now...

peacockplace Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
peacockplace Posted 4 Oct 2006 , 12:07pm
post #5 of 67

That truned out cute. I don't usually have a regular cake on my birthday. My mom gets me a cheesecake instead! I love cake, but making so much takes some of the trill out of them.

gmcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
gmcakes Posted 4 Oct 2006 , 12:55pm
post #6 of 67

Your cake turned out so cute!

On my birthday, I do not bake my own cake!!! I make so many the rest of the time, I don't even want to see cake for my birthday! I prefer to go out to eat for my birthday, have dessert there, or skip it all together!

bluehen92 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bluehen92 Posted 4 Oct 2006 , 12:57pm
post #7 of 67

Your cake is too cute icon_biggrin.gif I make my own cake; my husband tried one year and drove me crazy by asking for help with every step, and that was just a mix cake. After that I figured it would be easier to make my own!

-Lisa

TERRYHORTON Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TERRYHORTON Posted 4 Oct 2006 , 1:01pm
post #8 of 67

Wait! WE get BDay cakes!!!!???

LOL

ntertayneme Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ntertayneme Posted 4 Oct 2006 , 1:01pm
post #9 of 67

Happy Birthday!! And your cake is too cute!! icon_smile.gif

Cinderella24 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cinderella24 Posted 4 Oct 2006 , 1:03pm
post #10 of 67

I usually get an ice cream cake. I might end up baking myself my own next year, but we'll have to see how much I want to put into it. It would be good practise for me as I could be as creative as I wanted and not have to worry about someone being disappointed with the outcome. thumbs_up.gif

elmkb Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
elmkb Posted 4 Oct 2006 , 1:07pm
post #11 of 67

I usually don't make my own cake, my husband usually buys one or my mom will try to decorate one! I just have to keep my mouth shut as she "decorates"! No, I really do appreciate it!
My mother-in-law is a cake decorator too so she usually makes me an awesome cake when we go to her house!
Have a very happy birthday!
Lisa

gourmetcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
gourmetcakes Posted 4 Oct 2006 , 1:08pm
post #12 of 67

Happy Birthday Kathryn! Very cute cake!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TERRYHORTON

LOL

You know, I guess I never even thought about a cake for me?!?!? I'm not baking it.........

FancyLayne23 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FancyLayne23 Posted 4 Oct 2006 , 1:09pm
post #13 of 67

Your cake is adorable.

I share my birthday with my brother so I made him a cake this year and just shared with him. Normally my Mom will make us a cake together though. Nothing fancy just a cake with some icing. Which is all I need.

KHalstead Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KHalstead Posted 4 Oct 2006 , 1:10pm
post #14 of 67
Quote:
Originally Posted by TERRYHORTON

LOL

that's exactlly what I was thinking!!!!!

I haven't had one since I moved to Jersey 5 yrs. ago.......doesn't really bother me too much though....I'm sure once I move back closer to my mom she'll get me something.......(hopefully not a wal-mart cake like I used to get as a kid yuck!!)

MSurina Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MSurina Posted 4 Oct 2006 , 1:15pm
post #15 of 67

My husband bakes my cake. He makes me an angel food cake filled with a lemon pie filling and then ices it with a meringue kind of icing. It is sooo yummy icon_smile.gif . I tried to help him out one year, and he got mad at me and sent me to the living room icon_redface.gif .

AngD Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AngD Posted 4 Oct 2006 , 1:16pm
post #16 of 67

My husband usually makes my cake too, he even asks me what I want. He is so cute icon_smile.gif

travelingcakeplate Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
travelingcakeplate Posted 4 Oct 2006 , 1:23pm
post #17 of 67

My birthday is coming up in November and to completely honest, with all the cakes I been making over the last 3 weeks, I don't want cake for my birthday. I think I will just be happy to have the day/night off!

ChRiStY_71 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ChRiStY_71 Posted 4 Oct 2006 , 1:24pm
post #18 of 67

Just for fun, I made my own this year...needed the practice! My Dad also brought a 10 layer chocolate-pecan cake over.

peajay66 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
peajay66 Posted 4 Oct 2006 , 1:24pm
post #19 of 67

We eat so much cake these days that when it's my birthday I want a DQ Ice Cream cake! My mom usually helps my niece make me an Angel Food cake too. It's certainly nothing fancy but that's okay as I know it's made with love (my niece is only 6).

icon_biggrin.gif

mommacakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mommacakes Posted 4 Oct 2006 , 1:36pm
post #20 of 67

Every year for my birthday my hubby and my three kids take me to Cheesecake Factory!!!! Each year I try a different cheesecake! One of these days my husband and when the three boys get older will make me a cake because that is something I would love to see done... I have been teaching my hubby a few things but he is good with numbers not baking!!!!!! icon_biggrin.gif

suziew Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
suziew Posted 4 Oct 2006 , 2:20pm
post #21 of 67

Happy Birthday. My birthday is Sat. I'm making my own cake. I need a gluten free cake and bakeries don't make them. It also will give me a chance to practice those darn roses.

crafty01 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
crafty01 Posted 4 Oct 2006 , 2:30pm
post #22 of 67

A cake for our Birthdays I didnt know that happened.
Wow things like that happen?
Your birthday cake was really cute kuddos to the decorator.
Oh and happy late Birthday too.

mamacc Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mamacc Posted 4 Oct 2006 , 2:37pm
post #23 of 67

I don't make my own birthday cake either, and if I did it would be something like a flourless chocolate cake.

This past birthday my husband and two boys made me my birthday cake...just a chocolate mix cake, but it was yummy. It was an extra special birthday because I had just come home from the hospital after having my third baby. She was born on my birthday! icon_smile.gif

Courtney

Dustbunny Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Dustbunny Posted 4 Oct 2006 , 2:38pm
post #24 of 67

I wanted to this year but I was busy with another cake so I didn't have one at all. I don't mind doing it, it's practice to me icon_smile.gif Happy Birthday BTW icon_smile.gif

georgiamom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
georgiamom Posted 4 Oct 2006 , 3:13pm
post #25 of 67

It's usually store bought, but I like our store's cakes so I don't mind! One year it was from a local bakery but they're no longer in business. One year dh didn't plan in advance, so he didn't have one. I told him I just wanted a nap!!! When I woke up, he had one of my cook books out and was trying to make one from scratch!!! It was yellow cake, but it fell. I can't remember if there was frosting or not. He was just so discouraged from the cake falling!!!

cryssi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cryssi Posted 4 Oct 2006 , 3:21pm
post #26 of 67

my mother is a baking fiend. she bakes cakes for everyone/occasion it seems just b/c she loves to do it!

last year she made me a 2 layer 6" strawberry cake...yummy!

angelas2babies Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
angelas2babies Posted 4 Oct 2006 , 3:24pm
post #27 of 67

I was contemplating making my own cake this weekend, but I am working, and I think the Cheesecake Factory sounds like a GREAT tradition to start!!! icon_smile.gif

Angie

laepple Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
laepple Posted 4 Oct 2006 , 3:24pm
post #28 of 67

On my last bday we had a 4 day old baby to deal with jeje.. so I told my hubby to buy me a cake.. He wanted to bake it but I did not wanted the trouble :O)

I really like to buy cake for my bday because I love fresh fruit cakes with bavarian cream (too much trouble to make for myself).

timmysgirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
timmysgirl Posted 4 Oct 2006 , 3:26pm
post #29 of 67

I learned decorating from my mother, so either she makes one or my girls buy an icecream cake for me.

MikeRowesHunny Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MikeRowesHunny Posted 4 Oct 2006 , 3:29pm
post #30 of 67

Me, and I wouldn't have it any other way - I'm too hard to please! At least when I do it, I know it'll be gooood lol!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%