Sams Club Fall Entertaining Guide

Decorating By mkerton Updated 10 Oct 2006 , 11:49am by midialjoje

mkerton Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mkerton Posted 3 Oct 2006 , 7:22pm
post #1 of 41

Just got this little magazine thing from sams club in the mail and a couple of things popped out at me....one was on the back cover....they were showing a 6 foot cupcake tree (advertising how they can do cupcakes for any occassion) anyway it is quite an impressive display but there is a note that the tree stand was not for sale....only the food items....I just cannot even imagine a 6 foot tall cupcake tree!

They also advertised a stainless-steel, dishwasher safe fondue fountain for $34.83 ( Dont know if that is a deal or not) and Rival Beverage Fountain (2 to 3 gallon capacity) bubbling effect air chambers and color-changing lights for $49.86 (available Oct 10).... just in case anyone is looking for such items....I think you can view them at samsclub.com

they were also showing some pretty 3 layer 10" cakes (carrot, Italian Creme, Coconut and German Choc) as well, but they werent priced (I was just checking them out for curiosity sake)....they also had some "lovely" fall sheet cakes with lots of plastic leaves and such...those did not impress me at all!

40 replies
lionladydi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lionladydi Posted 3 Oct 2006 , 7:36pm
post #2 of 41

I shop at Sam's in Springfield. Have not received my magazine yet but those cakes are really delicious and at our store they are usually $14.95. Most of the 10" ones are three layers. I had two favorites--one chocolate with whipped cream icing and chocolate curls and marishino cherries and one was three layers of cake with strawberry whipped cream between one layer, vanilla pudding between the other and a whipped cream icing. I can't buy the ingredients for that price. Have not purchased any for a few months so the price may have gone up a little. They have a lemon bundt cake and a chocolate bundt cake for $5.99 each. I bought them for a banquet and they were good. Again, hard to buy the ingredients and make them for that especially when you are limited on time.

Will check out the fondue fountain if I go tomorrow. It is 85 miles from me but I was planning on going anyway. Thanks for the heads up.

Diane

mkerton Posted 3 Oct 2006 , 7:41pm
post #3 of 41

yeah i love their cheesecake..........for my own rehearsal dinner 4+ years back we were going all casual but we bought those mix variety cheesecakes (one ones with 4 flavors in one)....and they were so good (and very reasonable)...

tayesmama Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tayesmama Posted 3 Oct 2006 , 7:41pm
post #4 of 41

At Sams club, can you use credit cards other than AMex??? (Costco only allows a customer to use American express thumbsdown.gif )

lionladydi Posted 3 Oct 2006 , 7:44pm
post #5 of 41

Sam's also takes Discover and their own credit card. I'm pretty sure they take either Visa or Master Charge.

Diane

mkerton Posted 3 Oct 2006 , 7:44pm
post #6 of 41

looks like to me its only cash, debit cards, or discover.....I always use my debit card.

SweetConfectionsChef Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SweetConfectionsChef Posted 3 Oct 2006 , 7:48pm
post #7 of 41

I shop at Sam's Club several times a week and they take debit, discover, checks, and their credit card. Also cash. NO M/C or VISA.

I have the chocolate fountain....it works pretty good but is a PITA to clean!

lionladydi Posted 3 Oct 2006 , 7:49pm
post #8 of 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkerton

looks like to me its only cash, debit cards, or discover.....I always use my debit card.

Have they quit taking checks?

Diane

tayesmama Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tayesmama Posted 3 Oct 2006 , 7:50pm
post #9 of 41

Oh ok. icon_sad.gif Looks like I'll stick to Costco. All i buy from them is 50 lb bags of powdered sugar LOL icon_lol.gif

peacockplace Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
peacockplace Posted 3 Oct 2006 , 7:50pm
post #10 of 41

Sams club thumbs_up.gif

mkerton Posted 3 Oct 2006 , 7:53pm
post #11 of 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by lionladydi

Have they quit taking checks?

Diane

Honestly I dont know...I was just looking at the fine print on the magazine, that may be in the same category as cash??? I imagine they haven't changed their policy.

SCPATTICAKESCREACTIONS Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SCPATTICAKESCREACTIONS Posted 3 Oct 2006 , 7:59pm
post #12 of 41

The Sam's in my area still takes checks as of this Saturday. What is the membership fee for Costco now? They moved into my area about 3 years ago and gave everybody a free membership but then it was kinda costly to rejoin...are they really better than Sam's???

fabbo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
fabbo Posted 3 Oct 2006 , 8:01pm
post #13 of 41

If they're doing like the walmart chains, they're doing away with checks the old fashioned way. They run the check but it's automatically withdrawl from your account like a debit and they hand you your check back. They want their money quicker.

bluehen92 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bluehen92 Posted 3 Oct 2006 , 8:13pm
post #14 of 41

As far as I know, Sam's still takes checks but not Visa/MC. I usually use my debit card so I don't know if they're doing the automatic withdrawl like Fabbo mentioned. I expect they are since a lot of places are moving in that direction.

-Lisa

BlakesCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BlakesCakes Posted 4 Oct 2006 , 5:01am
post #15 of 41

I get around Sam's not taking Visa, etc. by going to Wal-Mart, buying a gift card with my CC (I usually put $200 on the card), and then pay at Sam's with the gift card. We use an airline affinity card, so I get miles for the gift card purchase and I just put it in my wallet behind my Sam's membership card--works great!

Rae

redpanda Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
redpanda Posted 4 Oct 2006 , 7:22am
post #16 of 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by fabbo

If they're doing like the walmart chains, they're doing away with checks the old fashioned way. They run the check but it's automatically withdrawl from your account like a debit and they hand you your check back. They want their money quicker.

Apparently the entire retail industry is expected to go toward that direction eventually. Somebody realized that all of those paper checks have a nasty habit of floating around, getting lost, with people's personal information on them.

Anyone remember when it was standard practice to write driver's license number and/or credit card number on a check for ID? I had somebody get my credit card info that way when I was in college and charge a couple hundred dollars in concert tickets at my expense. (grrrr) icon_mad.gif

With identity theft and all, it becomes a huge liability for the person taking the receipts to the bank for deposit. If the batch of checks gets lost/stolen, they have to notify everyone that their personal information (address, bank account number, signature) has been compromised.

I'm sure they don't mind getting their money sooner, either. icon_lol.gif

I wonder how people who can't

CarolinaBelle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CarolinaBelle Posted 5 Oct 2006 , 7:41am
post #17 of 41

I saw the picture of the cupcake tree on the back of the book. I know that it wasn't for sale but it would make a very nice display. It would take ALOT of cupcakes to fill it up.

Ohara Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Ohara Posted 5 Oct 2006 , 11:44am
post #18 of 41

I just counted (questimated icon_lol.gif ) in the sams picture..... I'm quessing that it would take about 170 cupcakes for the front row without flowers. It would probably take another 100 in the back row of each level. If you add flowers like they did it would be less. It would look great for weddings.

mkerton Posted 5 Oct 2006 , 2:53pm
post #19 of 41

yeah i thought it was the prettiest cupcake display I had ever seen.....(the cupcakes were plain but the display is neat)....

lionladydi Posted 5 Oct 2006 , 3:06pm
post #20 of 41

Darn! I haven't gotten my magazine yet. I'm dying to see this cupcake stand. Was going to Sam's yesterday and decided to postpone my trip til next week.

Diane

KHalstead Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KHalstead Posted 5 Oct 2006 , 3:17pm
post #21 of 41

redpanda wrote;

Anyone remember when it was standard practice to write driver's license number and/or credit card number on a check for ID? I had somebody get my credit card info that way when I was in college and charge a couple hundred dollars in concert tickets at my expense. (grrrr) icon_mad.gif

With identity theft and all, it becomes a huge liability for the person taking the receipts to the bank for deposit. If the batch of checks gets lost/stolen, they have to notify everyone that their personal information (address, bank account number, signature) has been compromised.

I'm sure they don't mind getting their money sooner, either. icon_lol.gif
[/quote]

I just finally got a New jersey driver's license (been here for 5 yrs....but had an ohio license that expired while we were in Ohio on vacation so I just renewed it lol) my car insurance doubled because I didn't have one for Jersey....irony is we're selling our house RIGHT now to move back to ohio.....anyhow......they were shocked at the Jersey DMV that my Ohio driver's license had my ssn # on it. I din't even think about it until they said something......that's kinda scary.......anyone could get those numbers and steel your identity.....although they'd be mad if they stole mine....I'm poor LOL

mkerton Posted 5 Oct 2006 , 3:46pm
post #22 of 41

I scanned it...
LL

smbegg Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
smbegg Posted 5 Oct 2006 , 4:00pm
post #23 of 41

That cupcake tree rocks! I wish my husband were handy with a saw!

Stephanie

lionladydi Posted 5 Oct 2006 , 4:05pm
post #24 of 41

mkerton, thanks for scanning the picture. WOW! I can't even imagine filling that thing up. Would be wonderful for big events for serving lots of things. You could put your whole appetizer buffet on it. Short people wouldn't get much choice though. icon_lol.gif I can just see it now. Put the cavier and shrimp on the top and the chips and dip on the bottom. icon_lol.gificon_lol.gif

Khalstead, in Missouri they put your SSN on your license unless you request otherwise. I never thought about it in years past but now it's a different story. I definitely will not ever have mine on my license again. I can remember when people put their SSN on their checks. Makes me mad when I am in a store and the clerk asks for my SSN. I don't want to shout it out for the world to hear. These young clerks get hateful about it when you tell them that you'd rather not give it but would rather write it for them.

If they stole my identity they could have all my debts, my ex husbands, my enemies, my dirty house, my yard that needs mowed...........I could go on and on. icon_lol.gificon_lol.gif

Diane

CakeDiva73 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakeDiva73 Posted 5 Oct 2006 , 4:24pm
post #25 of 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlakesCakes

I get around Sam's not taking Visa, etc. by going to Wal-Mart, buying a gift card with my CC (I usually put $200 on the card), and then pay at Sam's with the gift card. We use an airline affinity card, so I get miles for the gift card purchase and I just put it in my wallet behind my Sam's membership card--works great!

Rae

Good God Woman! That is brilliant! icon_surprised.gif

DianaMarieMTV Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DianaMarieMTV Posted 5 Oct 2006 , 4:33pm
post #26 of 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by KHalstead

redpanda wrote;

I just finally got a New jersey driver's license (been here for 5 yrs....but had an ohio license that expired while we were in Ohio on vacation so I just renewed it lol) my car insurance doubled because I didn't have one for Jersey....irony is we're selling our house RIGHT now to move back to ohio.....anyhow......they were shocked at the Jersey DMV that my Ohio driver's license had my ssn # on it. I din't even think about it until they said something......that's kinda scary.......anyone could get those numbers and steel your identity.....although they'd be mad if they stole mine....I'm poor LOL[/quote]

I live in Dublin, Ohio close to columbus and they just stopped putting the SSNs on drivers lisences here last year. icon_smile.gif Before that, you could request to have it left off, but it was standardly put on there. Glad they did away with that because i would always forget to say something. icon_smile.gif

mlynnb Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mlynnb Posted 5 Oct 2006 , 4:36pm
post #27 of 41

KHalstead wrote:

Quote:
Quote:

......they were shocked at the Jersey DMV that my Ohio driver's license had my ssn # on it.

I live in Ohio and I think it's unbelievable that they put your SSN on the driver's lisences! icon_eek.gif Before I live here, I lived in both PA and FL and I had never heard of this! The last time I renewed here, I 'opted out' of having my SSN # on my license, but I had to ask and sign some kind of form to do so! icon_confused.gif

mlynnb Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mlynnb Posted 5 Oct 2006 , 4:38pm
post #28 of 41
Quote:
Quote:

I live in Dublin, Ohio close to columbus and they just stopped putting the SSNs on drivers lisences here last year. Before that, you could request to have it left off, but it was standardly put on there. Glad they did away with that because i would always forget to say something.

I must have been posting the same time as you! icon_redface.gif Thanks for clearing that up---my license was renewed 3 yrs ago, so I didn't know about the update, but I'm so glad to hear about it!

jtb94 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jtb94 Posted 5 Oct 2006 , 4:54pm
post #29 of 41

That cupcake tree is pretty nifty. That's a lot of cupcakes. you could make the stand but modify it so you could put a small tiered wedding cake on top.

CakeDiva73 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakeDiva73 Posted 5 Oct 2006 , 5:32pm
post #30 of 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by lionladydi

If they stole my identity they could have all my debts, my ex husbands, my enemies, my dirty house, my yard that needs mowed...........I could go on and on. icon_lol.gificon_lol.gif

Diane

ROFLMAO!! icon_lol.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%