Three Questions

Decorating By deetmar Updated 7 Aug 2007 , 1:35am by deetmar

deetmar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
deetmar Posted 6 Aug 2007 , 9:11pm
post #1 of 7

First, Is it better to do scroll work in BC or RI,

Second, I can't get either to be black. I have started with chocolate and use the AmeriGel, Very black, no go.

Third, I have never done a styrofoam cake. Is there any place I can find out how to do it?

As you can tell, I am very new at this. Any ideas?

6 replies
twooten173 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
twooten173 Posted 6 Aug 2007 , 9:19pm
post #2 of 7

I can only speak to the second question... I buy the black icing in a can or tube (don't get the cake deco, joy or, "something" brand it sucks) because it takes too much work to get it that color. That being said, I only use it as an accents.

dezzib27 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dezzib27 Posted 6 Aug 2007 , 9:24pm
post #3 of 7

Royal Icing breaks down on buttercream so don't do that unless you are attaching it to fondant. Black is a very hard color to get, try letting it stand for a few hours....

CustomCakesBySharon Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CustomCakesBySharon Posted 6 Aug 2007 , 9:26pm
post #4 of 7

#1 - either one - BC will cut nicely when the cake is served, RI will look sharper and will be easy to paint if you're going that route

#2 - using chocolate BC & adding wilton black gel color always works for me.....try using hershey's special dark chocolate cocoa to make the chocolate BC.....i use that to make black fondant and u don't even have to add black color!

#3 - styrofoam is almost the same as doing regular cake.....IMO, cutting it is the hard part.....only done 2 of these tho, so i'm not one to give good advise in this area.....maybe someone else can help u out on this one

happy baking! thumbs_up.gif

Dawncurby Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Dawncurby Posted 6 Aug 2007 , 9:27pm
post #5 of 7

Hi,

1. I use b/c for scroll work

2. I agree by it already black

3. I know that my local cake supply store carries styrofoam and if they don't have the size you need they can order. Also check with your local supermarket bakery and somtimes you can get them to order it for you in a pinch.

Dawn

JoAnnB Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JoAnnB Posted 6 Aug 2007 , 9:33pm
post #6 of 7

Cake dummies can be done just like cake, for the most part.

You need to fasten the dummy to a base, I usually use tacks or small flat head nails 2-3 in the bottom. This will hold the dummy in place.

To apply fondant, you can moisten the dummy with water, or piping gel, so the fondant will stick in place.

You can use buttercream in the usual way.

Dummies are much lighter than cake, so you need to remember that when you move it.

deetmar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
deetmar Posted 7 Aug 2007 , 1:35am
post #7 of 7

Thanks for your help. You guys are great!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%