Where Can I Get Fondant Other Than Wilton

Decorating By korine Updated 8 Aug 2007 , 1:50pm by JaneK

korine Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
korine Posted 6 Aug 2007 , 8:26pm
post #1 of 13

Hello all, I'm trying to learn how to use fondant, I made some mmf and it works pretty well, but I find its soft. I tried to make a couple recipes and had no luck, they were no good. I have looked around and only found wilton ready made fondant. Does anyone have a suggestion on other brands and where I would look to find it? I live in a smaller city and I have no idea where to find some. Thanks so much,

12 replies
spongemomsweatpants Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
spongemomsweatpants Posted 6 Aug 2007 , 8:36pm
post #2 of 13

you can order Satin Ice fondant which I just love love love. I sometimes think they should hire me as a spokes person because I am always recommending it. icon_biggrin.gif You can get it from www.intotheoven.com
hope this helps

briansbaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
briansbaker Posted 6 Aug 2007 , 8:36pm
post #3 of 13

Look for Satin Ice.. I've heard it's the best! Good Luck..

korine Posted 6 Aug 2007 , 11:33pm
post #4 of 13

thanks so much i appreciate the help!!!

angienajjar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
angienajjar Posted 7 Aug 2007 , 1:27am
post #5 of 13

I also live on an island inthe Caribbean, and ready-made products are in short supply.
Have you tried the Toba Garrett's Fondant recipe available on CC? I tried it and it is great!!!!
Wilton also has a good recipe on their website.
Just takes a little practice to get it to the right texture, not too soft, and not too stiff....!!!
Soooo much cheaper too....

srmaxwell Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
srmaxwell Posted 7 Aug 2007 , 11:55pm
post #6 of 13

dont give up on the mmf! it just takes practice to get it right. It is SO much cheaper and tastes so much better. If you are trying to use it immediately after making it - you need to wrap it in saran wrap and let it set for awhile. By the next morning it is the same consistency as the boxed wilton stuff (which tastes so bad). It is also so much easier to work with. I could never get a square cake covered smoothly without extra at the corners until I started using it. Because the marshmallows can be rubbed with your hands and softened slightly by the warmth, you can compress it and avoid the extra on the corners. Try 20 large marshmallows ( i use wal-mart 'good value' i think they are called) and add 1 Tablespoon plus a small dash of water. Microwave for 1 minute exactly. Stir till liquified and start adding confectioners sugar 1 cup at a time. After about the second or second plus a half of a cup, crisco your hands and continue kneading in more sugar with your hands until you can really dig your nails in and it isn't totally sticky anymore. wrap in saran wrap and let set for an hour or so and it will be perfect for working with right away. I have also found a HUGE difference in the brand of marshmallow. I have NO idea why. I ran out last week and went to the grocery to quickly pick up some marshmallows instead of going all the way to wal-mart. I tried the jet puff and the store brand and couldn't get the fondant to work either time. I use mmf exclusively so I was quite shocked that I couldn't make it work. I use pounds and pounds of it every week! I realized that may be the reason some people get so frustrated with it. If you have a wal-mart, there brand is in purple bags and is 16 oz of large marshmallows. It works perfect every single time!

korine Posted 8 Aug 2007 , 3:10am
post #7 of 13

thanks, I'll head out to the walmart and pick some up. I haven't had as much trouble with the MMF as I have been having trying to make scratch fondant. I tried out the Toba Garretts recipe, it came together really well, I have yet to put in on my cake though.

Cake_Princess Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cake_Princess Posted 8 Aug 2007 , 3:14am
post #8 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by korine

Hello all, I'm trying to learn how to use fondant, I made some mmf and it works pretty well, but I find its soft. I tried to make a couple recipes and had no luck, they were no good. I have looked around and only found wilton ready made fondant. Does anyone have a suggestion on other brands and where I would look to find it? I live in a smaller city and I have no idea where to find some. Thanks so much,

Do you have a Bulk Barn in your area? If so, pick up some Virgin Ice fondant.

JaneK Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JaneK Posted 8 Aug 2007 , 3:29am
post #9 of 13

You can buy McCalls fondant which is REALLY delish...very mild...no chemical taste...actually good!!!!! You can get it from McCalls in Toronto

http://www.mccalls-cakes.com

Also, Goldas Kitchen in TO also sells it but they have recently rebranded it under their own name...did a taste taste as I bought some last week and it tastes the same... I get it next day from TO to Ottawa
www.goldaskitchen.com

Also, you can buy Mill Lane fondant..also nice and mild from Creative Cutters in Richmond Hill ON

www.creativecutters.com

You will find good cake toys on these sites...particularly Golda's and Creative Cutters....

HTH
Jane

cowdex Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cowdex Posted 8 Aug 2007 , 3:37am
post #10 of 13

I made Toba's last night - played with it tonight.
First, yum yum!
Second, worked ok - I might have has a little bit more shortening worked into it - it was soft. ALso, I was kneading color in it - some I handled it more thatn I should have. I really liked it. I look forward to a real project with it. Tonight was all play!
Off to make strawberry cake balls!

korine Posted 8 Aug 2007 , 4:44am
post #11 of 13

Thanks all, this is helping me out quite a bit. I see some of these websites use paypal as well, which is a nice alternative to credit icon_wink.gif We have a Dawn here and they sell fondant, have any of you tried theirs out??

korine Posted 8 Aug 2007 , 5:59am
post #12 of 13

help! So, I just tried to cover a cake dummy, with the method shown on cc. I used some wilton fondant, because i hear it works well but tastes poor. Anyways, I covered it with wrap, then buttercream, and then my fondant. As I was smoothing the edges down, it started to crack and slide down from the top, all the way around! What did I do wrong? Was it too thin? or was my icing not thick enough? any ideas?

JaneK Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JaneK Posted 8 Aug 2007 , 1:50pm
post #13 of 13
Quote:
Quote:

We have a Dawn here and they sell fondant, have any of you tried theirs out??

I have tried it...I bought some from a local cake shop that does lovely cakes but I thought the fondant was AWFUL...very similar in taste to Wilton...the cake lady raved about it so I didn't want to insult her by telling her anything negative...I just never bought more and used what I had for modeling figures (as they are not eaten....usually at any rate!!!)

I would bite the bullet and either make homemade or buy it on-line....just incorporate the cost of it into your cakes...
Shipping isn't that bad within Canada so it shouldn't be over-the-top expensive...

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%