Oscar The Grouch Cake Isntructions

Decorating By kellyshe Updated 14 Nov 2013 , 4:17pm by Lovettscakesbydesign

kellyshe Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kellyshe Posted 6 Aug 2007 , 4:12pm
post #1 of 7

I wanted to post the instructions for the Oscar the grouch cake I did. Hope this is helpful.

Oscar the Grouch Cake instructions

Trash Can
1.Bake three 6 x 2 cakes. Cool completely.
2.Place first layer on 8 cake plate. I used a 1/2 cake drum
3.Color ~2.5 cups of buttercream grey. Use grey buttercream to frost first layer with buttercream, placing second layer on top. Frost top of second layer.
4.Insert 4 dowels within the first two layers to support the upper half of the cake (third layer and oscar portion)
5.Prepare the third layer for stacking by placing third layer on 5 ½ round cakeboard,
6.Stack third layer onto cake.
7.Cover entire cake with grey colored buttercream.
8.Smooth out entire cake surface.
9.Insert two dowels through entire cake closest to the front of the cake (about 1 in).
10.Add a thin layer of black buttercream to the top of the cake - smooth.
11.Color a small portion of fondant grey try to get it to match the buttercream color.
12.To make the top rim of the trash can, roll the fondant out and cut a long strip that is about 1/4 thick. Wrap this around the top of the trash.
13.For the bottom rim of the trashcan, roll the grey fondant out like a snake and wrap the snake around the bottom of the trash can.
14.To make the handles, roll the fondant out to a small rectangle (1/4 thick) you will need two. Using a straw, punch out two holes in each rectangle. Use the straw to widen the hole slightly. Roll gray fondant into another snake. Cut equal lengths of each snake. Put each end of grey fondant snakes into the holes in the rectangular pieces.
15.Place each handle across from each other on the cake.
16.To make the trash can indentations, you will need a thin piece of cardboard (I used the empty cake mix box). Draw a long rectangle with curved ends. Cut this out. Put this on the buttercream and push the cardboard into the icing until an indentation has been made. Do this around the entire cake.
17.Feel free to mimic Slimey, the worm, and the rat and fish bone.

Oscar

1.Using the Betty Crocker Mini Bake and Fill pans, fill two half rounds with batter to the fill mark.
2.Once baked, cool completely
3.Use green colored frosting to glue the two round halves together to form a ball. Set aside
4.Using 1 individually wrapped rice krispy treat (I bought them rather than making a huge batch!), mold the rice krispy treat into an arm with 4 fingers (I used a sharp knife to cut the one end to make the fingers).
5.Repeat step 4 for the other arm.
6.Take a small portion of rice krispy treat and make a small round disk (flat). This will be put under the head for height and support.
7.Place arms along the rim of the trash can cake, wrapping fingers slightly over the can.
8.Place rise krispy disk between arms where the head will be placed.
9.Place head directly on top of rice krispy disk.
10.Insert two dowels all the way through the cake, starting at the head, for support.
11.Using a sharp paring knife, cut a small opening out of the head for the mouth.
12.Ice mouth with black buttercream (its okay if you get back on the outside as it will be covered with green icing).
13.With green buttercream, create the fir using the grass tip. When doing the fir, always start from the bottom, layering on top as you go. I started from each finger and worked up to the head/neck. Once at the head, I worked my way around from the bottom to the top.
14.Pipe the whites of the eyes in buttercream using tip 12.
15.Pipe the eye brows with brown buttercream using tip 14.
16.Use tips 3 to put small plack pupils in each eye.

6 replies
vickymacd Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
vickymacd Posted 6 Aug 2007 , 5:20pm
post #2 of 7

Thank you so much for taking the time to post this!

Kiddiekakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kiddiekakes Posted 6 Aug 2007 , 5:33pm
post #3 of 7

Thanks!!! Great instructions!!!

majormichel Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
majormichel Posted 6 Aug 2007 , 6:27pm
post #4 of 7

Added to my collection, thank you

LadyMike Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LadyMike Posted 6 Aug 2007 , 6:33pm
post #5 of 7

Thanks so much for sharing!

justsweet Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
justsweet Posted 6 Aug 2007 , 6:53pm
post #6 of 7

You cake is very cute and thank you for sharing your instructions.

Lovettscakesbydesign Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lovettscakesbydesign Posted 14 Nov 2013 , 4:17pm
post #7 of 7

Would you have a photo of this cake.that you could post..My grandson want this cake for his birthday..just would like to see a picture before I start.just to know what it will look like Thank you.Tammie

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%