I Did It!

Business By loriemoms Updated 7 Aug 2007 , 12:52am by allie73

loriemoms Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
loriemoms Posted 6 Aug 2007 , 3:10pm
post #1 of 13

well, after much fear, and nervousness, I went to my boss today and told him I wanted to start working part time and do the cake full time. (It has been killing me, working till 2 am every night and staying up all night friday and just not doing the kind of real detail that I want to do because of time limits) He said he rather help me out with the part time then lose me all together, so we are going to work out a schedule! I am scared to death still, but I am trying not to think of the money difference (on a bad week) and think about how much fun this is going to be!

We moved into our new house two weeks ago and I am slowly getting my little bakery room (We built a house with a spare room in the back) all situated the say I like it. (I passed my inspections the third day there, I didn't want skip a beat!) I will post photos when I have it all completed.

But gads, was it this scary going full time for those who have done it?

12 replies
diane Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
diane Posted 6 Aug 2007 , 4:32pm
post #2 of 13

congrats...i'm happy for you!!

Shamitha Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Shamitha Posted 6 Aug 2007 , 5:27pm
post #3 of 13

Congrats and good luck thumbs_up.gif

jeking Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jeking Posted 6 Aug 2007 , 5:41pm
post #4 of 13

YEAHHHH! I hope to do the same within the next year! Congratulations and yes, it will be scary at first. Just plunge in and keep going. Keep looking forward, not backward. Best of luck to you!

Liz1028 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Liz1028 Posted 6 Aug 2007 , 5:57pm
post #5 of 13

Dear loriemoms,

I totally understand your fear and excitement at the same time!

After 10 years of teaching middle school and doing my cakes on the side, I finally decided to GO For it and do my cakes full time.

I hooked up with a wonderful lady that owns a restaurant here in town and we have worked out the most fabulous contract for each of us. It is going quite well, but the slow weeks do scare me as well. My DH is very supportive and loves the idea that I am totally happy doing what I LOVE to do, but no matter what fears always set in.

You just have to remember, that you are doing something you are so passionate about and you love to get up in the morning and go to work and be creative, that is the best reward.

Good luck and looking forward to seeing your pics.

Liz

justsweet Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
justsweet Posted 6 Aug 2007 , 5:57pm
post #6 of 13

Good for you. I wish all the best

grama_j Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
grama_j Posted 6 Aug 2007 , 6:03pm
post #7 of 13

I would be scaerd to DEATH !! BUT..... this is the chance of a life time.... don't wait until you are to old, like ME to do something you love doing.... you can't get it back..... You GO GIRL !! It is a big world out there.... you have a chance to get a piece of it ! I'm so happy and excited for you... thumbs_up.gif

Chef_Rinny Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Chef_Rinny Posted 6 Aug 2007 , 6:12pm
post #8 of 13

Congrats! That is a huge step! I am hoping to do the same in the next year or two, It is a very scary thing to do, but I think it will be very rewarding!

campinsp Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
campinsp Posted 6 Aug 2007 , 6:17pm
post #9 of 13

All right!!!! by looking at your cake photos I know you will do well icon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gif
Good luck

loriemoms Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
loriemoms Posted 6 Aug 2007 , 6:50pm
post #10 of 13

thanks everyone!! Those are very encouraging words!

countrycakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
countrycakes Posted 6 Aug 2007 , 6:52pm
post #11 of 13

thumbs_up.gif YOU will do fine! I am getting ready to post too.....I went a step further.. icon_surprised.gificon_eek.gificon_biggrin.gif

Brandonsmommy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Brandonsmommy Posted 7 Aug 2007 , 12:27am
post #12 of 13

Yea you!!!! Good Luck!!! icon_lol.gif

allie73 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
allie73 Posted 7 Aug 2007 , 12:52am
post #13 of 13

Congratulations! I hope to be in your shoes some day, but for now, I'll head back to my high school classroom to teach for a few more years. During that time, I hope to take some classes and really hone my skills (and get more word out about my cakes!) so that, when the time comes, I'll be ready. But no matter how ready I am, I'm sure that I will also be terrified! Change, no matter how positive, is always hard and takes some getting used to. But your work is beautiful and I think you will adapt to your new career sooner than you think. Congrats again!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%