Help....dragees?

Decorating By MandMCakeDesigns Updated 7 Aug 2007 , 5:09pm by keonicakes

MandMCakeDesigns Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MandMCakeDesigns Posted 6 Aug 2007 , 2:03pm
post #1 of 6

I just got asked to make my first wedding cake for a friend. She is having a small wedding and she wants a 2 layer 10", 8" and 6" stacked. My pans are 2" deep. She wants the cakes covered in fondant then I will use the dot impression mat and fill the dots with pearl dragees. So I have two questions...

- about how many/much will I need to purchase to adequately cover the cake? I don't want a ton leftover.... I am sure there was some 7th grade math formula that would have helped me with this...but let's just say it was never my strong suit. icon_redface.gif

- Will dragees stick in fondant? I have only used them in BC before...

Thanks!

5 replies
indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 6 Aug 2007 , 2:59pm
post #2 of 6

My cake supply store sells them in little bags .... it's not like I can go in and buy just 17 or something! icon_lol.gificon_lol.gif

Whenever I've used these, I always have lots leftover from the bag.

spongemomsweatpants Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
spongemomsweatpants Posted 6 Aug 2007 , 3:07pm
post #3 of 6

yep they come in a package sold by weight. You can't just buy X amount, but the good news is they last forever so if you ever get another order using dragees you will have your supply already thumbs_up.gif
You are going to want to use a small paint brush and bush a light amount of piping gel to the area you want to stick the dragee or they will just pop right off.
HTH icon_smile.gif

keonicakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
keonicakes Posted 6 Aug 2007 , 3:09pm
post #4 of 6

Yep, you get them in bags. You can choose from different sizes and colors you will also have lots left for later use. I strongly suggest using tweezers to handle these little monsters, as if you use your fingers or get them wet, they lose their color and turn dull. You may need to use royal icing to attach them.

MandMCakeDesigns Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MandMCakeDesigns Posted 6 Aug 2007 , 6:24pm
post #5 of 6

Thanks so much for your help! When I go to the store to get them (or online if I need to order them that way) how much weight should I look for?

Sorry for all the questions. : ) You guys are great!

keonicakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
keonicakes Posted 7 Aug 2007 , 5:09pm
post #6 of 6

No help with the weight, one bag would be more than plent to do several cakes and the bags I get are only a few ounces. They are sort of pricey for little sugar balls. About $4.00 a bag.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%