Evolution Of A Cake

Decorating By HollyPJ Updated 4 Oct 2006 , 6:48pm by KHalstead

HollyPJ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
HollyPJ Posted 2 Oct 2006 , 11:17pm
post #1 of 20

Do you ever have a cake turn out completely different from your plan yet still work?

Let me explain...

My daughter wanted a puppy cake for her birthday. No problem--I'd make a sculpted dog cake in early 2005 and I was confident that I could do it again. However, I decided to make it a little more challenging and put the puppy on a pillow. I'd never tried making a pillow cake before, but after looking at pictures and ideas here on CC, I thought I'd give it a try.

Then I baked the cakes...

I wanted to make a long rectangular pillow. I baked two 12-inch square 2-inch-high layers, intending to set them side by side and carve them into a thin pillow. Both layers sank horribly in the middle in spite of my use of a flower nail in one and a heating core in the other. I'm pretty sure the combination of a very moist, fatty cake recipe and high altitude was the culprit. I didn't have time to rebake, so I thought about building up the centers with fondant. I decided that would be time-consuming and yucky.

Then, it dawned on me...with a little carving, the indentations in the cakes could look like the indentation in a little dog bed.

I planned to put the MMF on and smooth it along the sides, then put braid along the bottom edge. I coated the cakes with buttercream and started rolling my MMF. It was very stretchy and I knew I was going to have problems getting it on the cake.

I said to my husband, "I think it would be best to go for a draped blanket effect on the cake."

So, that's what I did. Voila--one dog on a blanket-covered dog bed!

The great thing is, no one but my husband and I ever knew that the cake wasn't supposed to look that way! icon_smile.gif
LL
LL

19 replies
mvucic Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mvucic Posted 2 Oct 2006 , 11:23pm
post #2 of 20

That is the cutest cake!

Great job! Glad to hear all worked out in the end icon_smile.gif

Mirjana

SUELA Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SUELA Posted 2 Oct 2006 , 11:24pm
post #3 of 20

It's fantastic! I would never have know it wasn't your intended end product!

bkdcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bkdcakes Posted 2 Oct 2006 , 11:26pm
post #4 of 20

OMG! I LOVE IT!!!!! That is adorable! What a terrific way to turn a "problem" into a success! Great job!

Rambo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rambo Posted 2 Oct 2006 , 11:29pm
post #5 of 20

"Compensating is the #1 rule in cake decorating" Or so my instructor told us. She said all mistakes can be "compensated" so in fact you have no mistakes. Whenever we had a flower flop or something go awry she'd have us all put our heads together (there were a whopping three of us LOL) and we'd compensate.

You have done an ingenious job of this very technique. Congrats your cake is Awesome!! thumbs_up.gif

HollyPJ Posted 2 Oct 2006 , 11:31pm
post #6 of 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rambo

"Compensating is the #1 rule in cake decorating" Or so my instructor told us. She said all mistakes can be "compensated" so in fact you have no mistakes. Whenever we had a flower flop or something go awry she'd have us all put our heads together (there were a whopping three of us LOL) and we'd compensate.

You have done an ingenious job of this very technique. Congrats your cake is Awesome!! thumbs_up.gif

Or, in other words, "Fake it 'til you make it!" icon_wink.gif

cocorum21 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cocorum21 Posted 2 Oct 2006 , 11:54pm
post #7 of 20

That is a great cake! I will be adding it to my favorites. It's sooooo cute! It's funny how mistakes can actually be a good thing. Great job!

HollyPJ Posted 2 Oct 2006 , 11:55pm
post #8 of 20

Thanks, you guys.

Anyone else have an "All's well that ends well" story?

mmdd Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mmdd Posted 3 Oct 2006 , 1:47am
post #9 of 20

Aww!!! That is adorable!!!!

I bet dd was very pleased!

Ok, now......for the next one~how are you gonna make your cakes sink in the middle again, lol?!?!?!

HollyPJ Posted 3 Oct 2006 , 1:52am
post #10 of 20

Here in Utah at about 4500 ft above sea level, you're lucky if your cakes don't sink in the middle! Straight cake mixes usually work just fine, but if I doctor them, or make my cakes from scratch, sinking happens often. It can be prevented by baking with a flower nail in the center, but not always.

High altitude suggestions say to add less fat and sugar, but what fun is that? icon_smile.gif

tinascakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tinascakes Posted 3 Oct 2006 , 2:05am
post #11 of 20

Your cake is so cute.

projectqueen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
projectqueen Posted 3 Oct 2006 , 2:54am
post #12 of 20

My cakes almost always evolve from the original plan to something entirely different.

Sometimes it's to cover mistakes but lots of times I just change my mind part of the way through. It's always interesting what they will look like in the end, especially to me.

Your cake turned out adorable. I LOVE that puppy!

MissyTex Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MissyTex Posted 3 Oct 2006 , 5:47pm
post #13 of 20

I absolutley LOVE this cake! Saved it to my "wannabe" file! So cute!

"Fake it 'til you make it" is the story of all my cakes! LOL!

frog80 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
frog80 Posted 4 Oct 2006 , 1:57pm
post #14 of 20

TOO CUTE!!!! I have an aunt that raises chuahuaha (sp), peckingneses (sp) and yorkies (I know how to spell that one icon_lol.gif ) and she would LOVE this cake. How did you make the dog. You said you sculpted it, what size cake did you start with? TIA!

crafty01 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
crafty01 Posted 4 Oct 2006 , 2:12pm
post #15 of 20

That is too cute and I love how you put it on the pink it really helps make it stand out Wonderful!!!

gourmetcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
gourmetcakes Posted 4 Oct 2006 , 2:35pm
post #16 of 20

That cake is truly adorable. Again...we are our worst critics. Great save! It is such a sweet looking cake. I bet your daughter was tickled pink!!!! What a cool mom to make such a special cake!

Dustbunny Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Dustbunny Posted 4 Oct 2006 , 2:41pm
post #17 of 20

Wow I would have never thought it wasn't supposed to turn out that way, it is just precious! Great job!!!!!

lapazlady Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lapazlady Posted 4 Oct 2006 , 3:33pm
post #18 of 20

That cake is absolutely adorable! The evolution of it made it all the more special. CUTE! CUTE! CUTE!

Liis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Liis Posted 4 Oct 2006 , 5:22pm
post #19 of 20

Your cake is so adorable. Very very cute!
I have to confess that this happens to ma most of the time icon_redface.gif . i start with something and end up with something else.

I admire people who make scetches to make their cakes and actually will make a cake that looks like on the scetch. for me it would be impossible.

KHalstead Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KHalstead Posted 4 Oct 2006 , 6:48pm
post #20 of 20

great save!!! That cake looks awesome.....what little girl would not LOVE that puppy cake!!! After seeing the pampered little dog with the blanket.......seeing one just in a bed seems a little mean LoL

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%