Help! Anyone Use Natural Fats In Their Icings????

Decorating By KrisD13 Updated 12 Aug 2007 , 1:44pm by jmt1714

KrisD13 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KrisD13 Posted 6 Aug 2007 , 12:51am
post #1 of 13

OK...I'm at a cross roads here. I've been told recently that I have diabetes. I just started decorating cakes about a year ago. Not too many, mind you, because of my back issues, but OH, HOW I WOULD LOVE TO TRY OUT SOME OF THE TECHNIQUES HERE. icon_sad.gif

So.....I've been keeping my eyes and ears open for natural ways to CURE the diabetes. I know, I know.....they say there's no cure. But I found some info online about this guy who DID cure himself.

Here's the problem: If I want to cure myself, I have to go with all natural oils and fats. Anyone know of the natural stuff to use in icings?????

This is a blurb from one of the sites dealing with his info:
All fats and oils are not equal. Some are healthy and beneficial; many, commonly available in the supermarket, are poisonous. The health distinction is not between saturated and unsaturated, as the fats and oils industry would have us believe. Many saturated oils and fats are highly beneficial; many unsaturated oils are highly poisonous. The important health distinction is between natural and engineered.

I really want to do this, but don't know where to plug this healthy way of life into decorating cakes, which I LOVE to do. icon_sad.gificon_sad.gificon_sad.gif

12 replies
KrisD13 Posted 6 Aug 2007 , 1:16am
post #2 of 13

Nobody yet.

Sigh.

In talking with my DH, we at least came up with butter and lard.

There's no way, even though it says on the side of the jar that I could, that I would use my coconut oil for decorating. Especially when it cost 22.00 for about 2 lbs. icon_surprised.gif

shalderman Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
shalderman Posted 6 Aug 2007 , 1:35am
post #3 of 13

I don't know much about this subject at all (re: the natural fats) but I do know you can get coconut oil much cheaper than $22 for 2 lb :O Unless you are buying organic or something?

caprica Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
caprica Posted 6 Aug 2007 , 2:36am
post #4 of 13

Hello,
Hope this helps... I only use non-hydrogenated Palm oil (or other) shortening to make my icings and here is why-
Hydrogenated oil is worse than cholesterol, even the smallest amount- it is literally like injecting plastic into your arteries. icon_mad.gif
Trans fats are bad, but hydrogenated oils are FAR worse because they are chemically altered.
Spectrum and Earth Balance both make shortenings / "butters" without the hydro. oil.
My personal opinion if you are trying to help your body, stay away from animal fats.

(sorry for the lecture, this is something I've very passionate about)

good luck. icon_smile.gif

KrisD13 Posted 6 Aug 2007 , 5:49am
post #5 of 13

Hmmm....on the website I found, in order to put my cells back to where they should be, I have to cut out everything but the animal fats. ie. start eating only fish oils, cod liver oil, then I can progress to butter, lard (Eep!), etc. but no more oils, margarines, or Crisco from the store. The animal fats are the healthy ones, as long as they aren't even partially hydrogenated.

There was a lot of logical info on this site, and I've been searching online for awhile now for anything health related.

If anyone's interested, here's the link:
http://www.nexusmagazine.com/articles/DiabetesDeception.html

And yes, shalderman, I'm only allowed the organic non-processed coconut oil, which is therefore non-hydrogenated, and unfortunately expensive. icon_sad.gif

Anyway, thanks for your responses. It's always good to have other people's views. icon_smile.gif

Gefion Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Gefion Posted 6 Aug 2007 , 7:10am
post #6 of 13

Please please be careful with websites, even though they may sound logical. Living only off of animal fat is a surefire way to a heart attack. What you need to do is to stick to oils like sunflower seed and virgin olive oil of good quality.
These oils has been proven to lower cholesterol and other nice things.

Animal fat is usually always solid. Solid fat is unhealthy in anything more than very small amounts.
These facts can be found in any decent book, not counting the fad diet books.

He is right though, shortening and margarine are not healthy. For frostings I would use butter.

Sorry if I sound lecturing, but I'm horrified that people will put such dangerous claims on websites icon_surprised.gif

But I actually did hear about someone going off their diabetes meds by simply eating healthy and losing the overweight. Veggies, not too much fat and of course no sugar when you're diabetic. This was Diabetes II.

snowshoe1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
snowshoe1 Posted 6 Aug 2007 , 12:09pm
post #7 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by caprica

Hello,
Hope this helps... I only use non-hydrogenated Palm oil (or other) shortening to make my icings and here is why-
Hydrogenated oil is worse than cholesterol, even the smallest amount- it is literally like injecting plastic into your arteries. icon_mad.gif
Trans fats are bad, but hydrogenated oils are FAR worse because they are chemically altered.
Spectrum and Earth Balance both make shortenings / "butters" without the hydro. oil.
My personal opinion if you are trying to help your body, stay away from animal fats.

(sorry for the lecture, this is something I've very passionate about)

good luck. icon_smile.gif

Oh - please give some more information on the Palm oil (e.g. is there a brand (don't think I've ever seen this in the stores); what is the recipe you use for your icings; etc...). I'd love to find out more about this!

alanahodgson Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
alanahodgson Posted 6 Aug 2007 , 12:21pm
post #8 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gefion

Please please be careful with websites, even though they may sound logical. Living only off of animal fat is a surefire way to a heart attack. What you need to do is to stick to oils like sunflower seed and virgin olive oil of good quality.
These oils has been proven to lower cholesterol and other nice things.

Animal fat is usually always solid. Solid fat is unhealthy in anything more than very small amounts.
These facts can be found in any decent book, not counting the fad diet books.

He is right though, shortening and margarine are not healthy. For frostings I would use butter.

Sorry if I sound lecturing, but I'm horrified that people will put such dangerous claims on websites icon_surprised.gif

But I actually did hear about someone going off their diabetes meds by simply eating healthy and losing the overweight. Veggies, not too much fat and of course no sugar when you're diabetic. This was Diabetes II.

I THINK sunflower has saturated fat. Its canola thats the good one, right up there with olive oil.

hellie0h Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
hellie0h Posted 6 Aug 2007 , 12:24pm
post #9 of 13

I couldn't agree more Gefion, websites can be dangerous when it comes to health issues. Follow your Doctors advice or find some answers at websites like web md where questions and articles are written by professionals.

darcat Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
darcat Posted 6 Aug 2007 , 12:26pm
post #10 of 13

Please BE VERY CAREFUL I was a type 1 diabetic which is different from type 2 in that type 1 with type 2 a lot of people have gotten off of insulin by living a healthier lifestyle including excericese and diet. I had a pancreas transplant and am insulin free after 22 yrs. Now you really must watch the animal fat and too much animal protein can be bad for your kidneys (I lost mine and had a kidney transplant as well) so as Gefion says be very very careful about what you read and please stay in touch with your dietician and ask her opinion before you start getting in too deep with the websites. I always believe that if all the natural cures actually worked then I am sure the health care system would be advocating that we should follow them rather than pay for expensive surgery and medications. Call be skeptical but better safe than sorry.

mbelgard Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mbelgard Posted 6 Aug 2007 , 1:02pm
post #11 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by hellie0h

I couldn't agree more Gefion, websites can be dangerous when it comes to health issues. Follow your Doctors advice or find some answers at websites like web md where questions and articles are written by professionals.

From what I've seen of the websites you either will find false hope or gloom and doom predictions as to the disease.
I have personal example of each. Last year my MILs cat had a skin problem, it was a rescue kitten and she thought it was from lack of food and stuff. Until my kids broke out in ringworm. Then my MIL was looking stuff up and freaking out because these websites were telling her that she had to scrub her house from top to bottom everyday and preferably get rid of every soft surface the cat had been close to or they would get reinfected. I told her I hadn't found those instructions and showed her other sites, despite not disinfecting 10 hours a day the cat never came down with it again.
My brother and his wife had a baby with Down's about 3 years ago. They found sites that claimed that Down's could mean everything in the way of IQ up to genius level. After they found that anything someone said that implied that their child wasn't going to be Einstein got them mad. Me explaining to my oldest who was almost 6 that his cousin wasn't going to learn as fast as the other kids but was going to want to play, be with the others, etc got them terribly mad at me. They're still saying he won't need any special ed services once he's in kindergarten. I adore my nephew but I think my brother is going to be terribly disappointed and I wish they were planning for the worst (hopefully to be surprised by the best).

If you have type II you can control it and even reverse it by eating a healthy diet and losing weight. If plant fats are really so bad for you it probably means that you shouldn't eat the other products of the plants since the oils are in there in small quantities.

KrisD13 Posted 12 Aug 2007 , 6:01am
post #12 of 13

I didn't start thinking along these lines because of one or more sites. I've suspected it for awhile now. It won't hurt me to try this, just like it didn't hurt to try Grapefruit fibre pills for 2 months and drop my cholesterol by 40%, in just that time. It can take up to 2 years or so, with the meds (which don't clean up the damage, just keep more from happening).

My Dr had prescribed one of those new meds just out, and it was literally making me sick and dizzy, so I went the natural way. I was on his meds for only 1 week. He still doesn't believe me, but the numbers are right in front of him, so.....

I am going to try this, so far it's looking really, really good, but I have to give it at least 5 or so months.

Thank you, everyone for your support, warnings and advice. I really value it so much. icon_biggrin.gif Really!

And it's the way of processing some of those plant oils, not the plants and natural oils, themselves. The natural foods are for me, now. icon_biggrin.gif

jmt1714 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jmt1714 Posted 12 Aug 2007 , 1:44pm
post #13 of 13

if someone really had a "cure" for diabetes, the whole wolrd would rejoice - it wouldn't be isolated to a single website.

the "natural fats" aren't going to combat unhealthy eating (you know, cakes, icing, etc).

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%