Tree Branches??

Decorating By Tinarie Updated 6 Aug 2007 , 5:14am by hellie0h

Tinarie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Tinarie Posted 5 Aug 2007 , 10:40pm
post #1 of 5

Hi. I wanted to put a tree with branches on top of a cake. Do I just pipe this design with buttercream? What's the best way to do this. I want the tree flat on top of a cake not standing. Thanks

4 replies
shimerin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
shimerin Posted 6 Aug 2007 , 12:29am
post #2 of 5

hi,

You can do it several ways either by piping direct to the cake or by reverse piping, drawing your design to grease proof paper and piping to it then freezing
when hard removing paper and placing on your cake this way is maybe better because any mistakes can be changed before placing on top of your cake without effecting your cake surface. or you can flood you cake with icing this way you pipe your design outline onto the cakes with royal icing and water down the remainder of each colour and flood into each section with that colour. or the easiest of all rolled fondant model a tree from this, give a more 3D effect..

icon_biggrin.gif shim

Beezaly Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Beezaly Posted 6 Aug 2007 , 12:40am
post #3 of 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by shimerin

hi,

You can do it several ways either by piping direct to the cake or by reverse piping, drawing your design to grease proof paper and piping to it then freezing
when hard removing paper and placing on your cake this way is maybe better because any mistakes can be changed before placing on top of your cake without effecting your cake surface. or you can flood you cake with icing this way you pipe your design outline onto the cakes with royal icing and water down the remainder of each colour and flood into each section with that colour. or the easiest of all rolled fondant model a tree from this, give a more 3D effect..

icon_biggrin.gif shim

Well, I think she said it all! icon_biggrin.gif Good luck, and post the end result so we can see which method you used!!

step0nmi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
step0nmi Posted 6 Aug 2007 , 12:41am
post #4 of 5

I like to pipe my tree branches right onto the cake! It is soo easy! And because it's a tree the branches don't have to be perfect. If you looking my my photos I have a couple of cakes I have done trees and they are all freehand. Two of them are family trees and one is black branches and swirls on top of colors. Maybe these will give you some inspiration!

Good luck! Just go for it!

hellie0h Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
hellie0h Posted 6 Aug 2007 , 5:14am
post #5 of 5

I am not very good at freehanding, so I like to use melted chocolate for some decorations, cover a image with parchment or wax paper and pipe over the design, pop in fridge til hard then over pipe the choc. building up to thickness you want. Just another idea for you.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%