For Those Of You Who Have Problems With Buttercream Roses...

Decorating By NEWTODECORATING Updated 7 Aug 2007 , 4:26pm by iramirez94

NEWTODECORATING Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
NEWTODECORATING Posted 5 Aug 2007 , 5:24pm
post #1 of 31

I have the hardest time with the very first step--the mound of icing--it wobbles around, falls over, and generally is a pain. To solve this I have been using hershey kisses as the base and my roses have improved ALOT, but I wanted a rose I could cut through and wanted to cut my cost and consumption of hersheys kisses icon_cry.gif

SO... last night I made 12 centers. Popped them in the freezer and then cleaned up my icing mess. By the time I cleaned the kitchen the centers were frozen, no more wiggling or wobbling bases and I have roses that I can cut. Just thought I would share for other rose challenged people like me. thumbs_up.gif

30 replies
pottedmeatchunks Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pottedmeatchunks Posted 5 Aug 2007 , 8:05pm
post #2 of 31

i do this too icon_biggrin.gif for me its the ONLY way to make roses! and then i pop the whole thing in the freezer for easy peel and stick on the cake because forget those rose scissor things...no good!

KoryAK Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KoryAK Posted 5 Aug 2007 , 9:37pm
post #3 of 31

You can also try the witch's hat rose nail... it looks just like its name. You dont have to make the base at all, just start piping your rose.

brandiandedgar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
brandiandedgar Posted 5 Aug 2007 , 10:11pm
post #4 of 31

Where can you get the witches hat rose nail I've never seen it before.

Thanks
Brandi

mommak Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mommak Posted 5 Aug 2007 , 10:20pm
post #5 of 31

THE END OF WOBBLING??????????? OHHH I CAN'T WAIT TO TRY IT!!! Thank you thank you!!!

ZAKIA6 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ZAKIA6 Posted 5 Aug 2007 , 10:22pm
post #6 of 31

hi

i just found it on
http://mowd.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Product_Code=910&Category_Code=NAILS&Product_Count=9

it is made by ateco - item# 910

***if the link does not come up you can google it****

TheCakerator Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TheCakerator Posted 5 Aug 2007 , 10:25pm
post #7 of 31

that tip nail head looks pretty interesting .. would you just simply skip the first step of the buttercream roses? The center glob I mean ..

Lorendabug Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lorendabug Posted 5 Aug 2007 , 10:29pm
post #8 of 31

When I was taking classes one of the instructors taught me how to make them on a stick that was sharpened like a pencil. I tried and tried on the flower nail and just couldn't do it. But, my first one on the stick was great! They are also much easier to take off and put on a cake.

Cake_Mooma Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cake_Mooma Posted 5 Aug 2007 , 10:30pm
post #9 of 31

Ok I think it is a great idea, BUT HOW IN THE WORLD do you use this thing. icon_confused.gificon_eek.gifdunce.gif How do you take the rose oof the witches hat nail. Please explain please.

Thanks

Vicky

KoryAK Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KoryAK Posted 5 Aug 2007 , 10:36pm
post #10 of 31

Yep, just start with your wrap around petal. You remove the rose with scissors lifting it up and off while spinning the nail and closing the scissors a little (sounds hard but is not). I'll never go back. Don't worry about the flower collapsing - I use it with SMBC just fine.

brandiandedgar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
brandiandedgar Posted 5 Aug 2007 , 11:03pm
post #11 of 31

wow this is so exciting thanks for the help cant wait to order one and try it icon_smile.gif

beetle1948 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
beetle1948 Posted 5 Aug 2007 , 11:45pm
post #12 of 31

Its easy to make your own. Just go to wal-mart craft section where the small wooden toy parts are and get the little round wheels. get the size dowel that well fit thru the hole. Then sharpen the dowel in a pencil sharpener and push it thru the dowel so the whole sharpened end stick thru.I made up 10 and place them on a stro-foam block .

thecupcakemom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
thecupcakemom Posted 5 Aug 2007 , 11:49pm
post #13 of 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by beetle1948

Its easy to make your own. Just go to wal-mart craft section where the small wooden toy parts are and get the little round wheels. get the size dowel that well fit thru the hole. Then sharpen the dowel in a pencil sharpener and push it thru the dowel so the whole sharpened end stick thru.I made up 10 and place them on a stro-foam block .

Can you post a pix? I just can't envsion this. How does the bc not stick to the witch hat?

NEWTODECORATING Posted 6 Aug 2007 , 1:32am
post #14 of 31

WOW just look at the things you learn here! I have never heard of a witches hat flower nail. That looks interesting!

amaniemom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
amaniemom Posted 6 Aug 2007 , 1:54am
post #15 of 31

Hey hubby said I could probably just sauder ( sp?_) #1 tip to one of my flower nails. Would that work?

CakesOnly Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakesOnly Posted 6 Aug 2007 , 5:07am
post #16 of 31

This sounds very interesting, but what keeps the rose from collapsing in the middle? I have the same problem as everyone else.

iramirez94 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
iramirez94 Posted 6 Aug 2007 , 5:24am
post #17 of 31

I am so glad that wanted to finish my bag of fritos corn chips and not go to bed because I would have missed this..

WOW!! a witches had, toy parts.. all to help me with my roses!! YEAH, YEAH...

Thanks

zenu Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
zenu Posted 6 Aug 2007 , 5:39am
post #18 of 31

I just looked up the Country Kitchen catalog and found one for $1.50. I never knew they had this!

LadyMike Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LadyMike Posted 6 Aug 2007 , 8:55am
post #19 of 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by CakesOnly

This sounds very interesting, but what keeps the rose from collapsing in the middle? I have the same problem as everyone else.

I, too, would like to know the answer about the roses collapsing. icon_confused.gif

TIA

mommicakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mommicakes Posted 6 Aug 2007 , 11:58am
post #20 of 31

icon_surprised.gificon_lol.gif What a wonderful idea. I can't wait to try this one. The frozen center bud will make my life a lot easier !!!! Thanks for sharing that one. I am also looking into the witches hat nail. Looks interesting. Thanks you guys!!!!! icon_biggrin.gifthumbs_up.gif

MommyEdzards Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lynda-bob Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lynda-bob Posted 6 Aug 2007 , 12:25pm
post #22 of 31

icon_eek.gificon_surprised.gificon_rolleyes.gificon_wink.gif Blink Blink I am soooo gonna try everyone of these suggestions and see which one I like the best! They all sound like wonderful alternatives... My roses are not the greatest right now and I'd love to improve them--THANK YOU ALL icon_biggrin.gif MommyEdzards, do you ever dry your roses like on the link you provided? How long do you let them dry? TIA

Lynda

berryblondeboys Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
berryblondeboys Posted 6 Aug 2007 , 12:43pm
post #23 of 31

Hmmm... I'm going to cake store today, I'm going to take a look at the witches hat. I can make roses fine, but I HATE that I need two bags of frosting to do it - one for the base of stiff frosting and one for the petals of medium consistency. Anything to avoid a step! I have a Christening cake this weekend that will need lots of roses so this is GREAT.!

Melissa

MommyEdzards Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MommyEdzards Posted 6 Aug 2007 , 1:05pm
post #24 of 31

i just take them straight from the stick to my cake most of the time, but you could put them on wax paper to dry....no problem.

keyshia Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
keyshia Posted 6 Aug 2007 , 1:37pm
post #25 of 31

Thanks for the tip! I HATE when mine wobble... icon_mad.gif It's the bibbest pain in the butt.

frostedbliss Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
frostedbliss Posted 6 Aug 2007 , 4:40pm
post #26 of 31

Brilliant advice! I'm gonna go freeze some centers now icon_lol.gif

NEWTODECORATING Posted 6 Aug 2007 , 7:09pm
post #27 of 31

Hey has anyone tried making roses with the frozen centers yet? Let me know how it works for you.

ZAKIA6 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ZAKIA6 Posted 7 Aug 2007 , 11:28am
post #28 of 31

in addition to freezing the center/witches hat/pencil - has anyone tried the hershey kiss method?

ive heard about it but never tried it.

berryblondeboys Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
berryblondeboys Posted 7 Aug 2007 , 11:50am
post #29 of 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZAKIA6

in addition to freezing the center/witches hat/pencil - has anyone tried the hershey kiss method?

ive heard about it but never tried it.

The person who started this thread said that she used this method and while it works, you can't slice through the Hershey's kiss, so for serving purposes, it's not as friendly to use.

Melissa

NEWTODECORATING Posted 7 Aug 2007 , 4:16pm
post #30 of 31

Yes I use the hershey's kiss center, especially when I know there are kids around. They think it is a neat suprise. I always warn the customer, because you can't cut through them.

I teach a class at the college. I always have them make roses "the correct way" and then show the "cheating way". It really helps when someone is getting to flusterated. After some practice with the kiss they can do them "the correct way" alot better.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%