How Do I Get My Avatar Under 6.5Kb's?

Decorating By Dordee Updated 6 Aug 2007 , 3:33am by melysa

Dordee Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Dordee Posted 5 Aug 2007 , 12:46pm
post #1 of 19

I have tried for an hour now and still can't get my pic unter 6.5 kb's or 6kb's whatever the requred size is. I went to shrinkpictures.com and resized it to an avatar size but it still says it is 7.5 kb's. How can I do this without losing my mind. I've resized lots of pics before now and never had this particular problem. Thanks!!

18 replies
cb_one Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cb_one Posted 5 Aug 2007 , 1:02pm
post #2 of 19

Sugar_Plum_Fairy sent me this great site.

www.shrinkpictures.com

You can get your pics downsized for your avartar or if you cant fit them on this site.

Dordee Posted 5 Aug 2007 , 4:49pm
post #3 of 19

I went to shrinkpictures.com and while it did get smaller it didn't get down past 7.5 kb's. That's my problem the kb's. When I try to upload it to CC it says it must be smaller than 6.5 kb's. This is so frustrating!!!!!

MammaViv Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MammaViv Posted 5 Aug 2007 , 5:04pm
post #4 of 19

boy i would like to know this too icon_smile.gif

hopefully someone can help us

cassi_g16 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cassi_g16 Posted 5 Aug 2007 , 6:38pm
post #5 of 19

I was having this problem yesterday. Go to this website.

http://www.gifworks.com/cgi-bin/gifworks.pl?com=transfer_open

It is pretty easy to use. Make sure the picture is saved as a .GIF or you can't use it on this website. Saving as a .gif will also make the pic a smaller. You do lose a little of the color quality though! Also once you get it to 6KB or under make sure it is no bigger than 110 by 110.

You can also go into the Paint program if you have it and resize it there.This is probably a little easier to use.

step0nmi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
step0nmi Posted 5 Aug 2007 , 6:53pm
post #6 of 19

yes, I have this problem too! but, recently I got my Simpson avatar which was perfect size! I am going to have to try paint next time!

Letmebeurdesignr Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Letmebeurdesignr Posted 5 Aug 2007 , 6:53pm
post #7 of 19

i go into paint on windows...."start,programs,accessories,paint"....then i open the picture and go to "image, stretch/skew" and then type in 50/50...then if its still not the right size then do 75/75...that should work..if not go down another 75/75...will make it smaller ....no programs to install or anything like that..thats all ive ever used.

brendabakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
brendabakes Posted 5 Aug 2007 , 6:59pm
post #8 of 19

I had the same problem! I saved my avatar as a gif, put the pixels as 72 and made the size about 80 x 80.

It took a lot of fiddling!

melysa Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
melysa Posted 5 Aug 2007 , 7:10pm
post #9 of 19

try this link. i know its the same website, but its a different page, and you can customize the size. when it asks, do custom @ 800 pixels and choose "best" for quality.

melysa Posted 5 Aug 2007 , 7:12pm
post #10 of 19

it will later ask if you want to download or save it. i save mine on my hard drive and then upload it as an attachment or to my photos.

is this for an avatar or to put pics in your photo gallery?

springlakecake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
springlakecake Posted 5 Aug 2007 , 7:16pm
post #11 of 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by cb_one

www.shrinkpictures.com

You can get your pics downsized for your avartar or if you cant fit them on this site.

I also recommend this! It is sooo easy! Click on the create an avatar and then I do the custom size (for this site I do 110x110) and it creates a perfect sized, cropped avatar.

step0nmi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
step0nmi Posted 5 Aug 2007 , 7:25pm
post #12 of 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by merissa

Quote:
Originally Posted by cb_one

www.shrinkpictures.com

I also recommend this! It is sooo easy! Click on the create an avatar and then I do the custom size (for this site I do 110x110) and it creates a perfect sized, cropped avatar.

I did this too but, it still wasn't under the 6KB.

wysmommy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
wysmommy Posted 5 Aug 2007 , 8:32pm
post #13 of 19

I tried all the stuff you all have suggested for shrinkpictures too and I can't get below the number either!

Hmmm...there must be something we're missing!

springlakecake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
springlakecake Posted 5 Aug 2007 , 8:46pm
post #14 of 19

You are going to the shrink avatars tool right? It is highlighted in red. Otherwise you are shrinking but it is a little different.

Dordee Posted 5 Aug 2007 , 10:48pm
post #15 of 19

FINALLY!!!!!!!!!!!!! Don't know what I did the first time but I did it again and it worked. Couldn't tell you what I did different that worked to save my life though icon_redface.gif THANKS to everyone who replied!

wysmommy Posted 5 Aug 2007 , 10:54pm
post #16 of 19

ok, if you can do this...I must be able to too...here goes nothing... icon_rolleyes.gif

wysmommy Posted 5 Aug 2007 , 10:58pm
post #17 of 19

HEY! I DID IT TOO!

And here's what I did:

I took an avatar I'd already shrunk, and then tried it again and set the Avatar size to 70. It came out 4kb! I bet you could set it at 80 or 90 and still get in under 6.5!

Well...I accomplished one thing today...not on my to do list at ALL...but it's accomplished none the less!

PattyLen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
PattyLen Posted 6 Aug 2007 , 1:27am
post #18 of 19

To: cb_one
Thank you, thank you, thank you. I've never been able to post any cake pics because my photos were always too large. Shrinkpictures.com worked for me. Yea!!! icon_biggrin.gif

I have actually been able to post some pictures of my hobby cakes. Woo-hoo!!!

melysa Posted 6 Aug 2007 , 3:33am
post #19 of 19

if you are using a digital camara, you should also be able to look at the settings to determine photo size. i am not all that technical savvy but i remember i had that problem when i first got my camara, my husband adjusted something and now my pics upload just fine.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%