Freezing A Fully Decorated Cake

Decorating By Derby Updated 3 Oct 2006 , 5:07am by Derby

Derby Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Derby Posted 2 Oct 2006 , 3:09am
post #1 of 15

This is my FIRST cake order!!! She offered to pay me for it, but I said that it would be free so that I could use her as a guinea pig. She is a good friend and will for sure be a great source of future business, so even though this cake took me about 9 hours total, I'm still o.k. with my decision.

Because my inlaws are coming into town this week, I decided to go ahead and make the FBCT in advance to save time. The cake is due on Thursday night. I knew that it is safe to freeze FBCTs. Well, it seemed like it turned out, but I couldn't really tell upside down. I just couldn't wait!!! icon_redface.gif So, I decided to go ahead and make the whole cake today.

So.....my question.....is it going to be safe to freeze the whole darn thing and just put it into the fridge on Thursday morning for a Thursday evening pick-up?

Remember...be nice....it's already done icon_cry.gif
LL

14 replies
kaychristensen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kaychristensen Posted 2 Oct 2006 , 3:16am
post #2 of 15

I can't help about the freezing part. But AWESOME cake. thumbs_up.gif My sister would die for this cake. Did you post it in gallery yet?? Cause I want to save it and show my sister. How hard do you think it was to do the FBCT?? I have always wanted to try one.

Can I ask where did you find your picture??

Derby Posted 2 Oct 2006 , 3:29am
post #3 of 15

Thanks! Yep, I just put it into the gallery. To get the image, I did a google search for Tony Stewart, then I went to the top and clicked on "images". I printed a picture of the car pez dispenser and a picture with those flags on it. Then I enlarged them on my copier (at work icon_razz.gif ) and taped them together. Then I taped them to my window backwards (so the 20 would be backwards) and traced over them with waxed paper. It wasn't hard at all, but very time consuming. I chose the pez dispenser photo since it was much simpler than the others and I just added a little of my own detail.

kaychristensen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kaychristensen Posted 2 Oct 2006 , 3:34am
post #4 of 15

Thanks for the info. I have a teenager that wants a Dale JR. cake and would like to do something like this. I have frozen regular cake before but none with the FBCT. I didn't have a problem with just frosted with BC when I thawed them. I am waiting to here the answer to your question also. thumbs_up.gif

CakeDiva73 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakeDiva73 Posted 2 Oct 2006 , 3:36pm
post #5 of 15

Fantastic cake! You are daring to 'guinea pig' such a beautiful cake... I would have done it with one of my disaster but after seeing your cake, you probably don't have disasters, huh? icon_smile.gif

My son would love it!

peajay66 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
peajay66 Posted 2 Oct 2006 , 3:55pm
post #6 of 15

I recently heard from lady that used to work in a bakery for many years that what they did when they froze fully decorated cakes (except those with fondant) was to cover them with a trash bag before putting it in the freezer. This helps keep the air from it.

HTH

sweetbaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetbaker Posted 2 Oct 2006 , 5:43pm
post #7 of 15

Great cake!

I posted recently about this same topic.I wrapped the cake box with the freezer paper.

http://cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopict-42862.html

veejaytx Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
veejaytx Posted 2 Oct 2006 , 5:53pm
post #8 of 15

There is so much discussion about what we use being food safe, I'm not sure why anyone would recommend putting a cake directly into a "trash bag" as I am pretty sure they are not food safe.

I believe sweetbakers thread recommends wrapping in clear cling wrap, foil, a box, any or all of those layers, and some then put the whole thing in a garbage bag for extra protection. Janice

sweetbaker Posted 2 Oct 2006 , 5:54pm
post #9 of 15

Here is an update. Also, I think if I didn't have to deliver it so early (7 a.m.), it probably would have dried out, but I didn't want to send it wrapped. I'm still waiting for feedback. In my post I forgot to mention that the pic is before the cake was frozen. Hope this info helps.

http://cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopict-44111.html

AuntEm Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AuntEm Posted 2 Oct 2006 , 7:01pm
post #10 of 15

How can you wrap it in anything won't it stick to the frosting?
thanks,
Emily

sweetbaker Posted 2 Oct 2006 , 8:09pm
post #11 of 15

Emily, the cake is put in the cake box then the box is wrapped.

AuntEm Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AuntEm Posted 2 Oct 2006 , 10:04pm
post #12 of 15

A hah detective.gif i knew there had to be a simple exlamation. But I just couldn't think of it LOL icon_redface.gif
Thank You,
Emily

FreshAir Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FreshAir Posted 2 Oct 2006 , 11:06pm
post #13 of 15

I'm still pretty new to this site so I'm not sure what 'fbct' is (I'm thinking it's some type of buttercream?), but I did freeze a fully decorated cake once & I had a little trouble when it thawed. It had purple on it &, once it started thawing, the purple color feathered into the white icing around it. I know that purple, black & red colors can be temperamental at times so maybe that's why that was the only color on the whole cake that did this. I noticed you have some black on your cake so I'm praying nothing happens with yours. That cake is absolutely georgeous!!!!

rosita6882 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rosita6882 Posted 2 Oct 2006 , 11:16pm
post #14 of 15

i used to work at a grocery store bakery. i would decorate up to 80 cakes a day. whatever didn't get domed we put on a cart w racks and covered the whole cart so that the plastic didn't touch the cake. try to find something that wont touch the cake to cover it with and then cover the whole thing with a clean bag. hope this helps. icon_wink.gif

Derby Posted 3 Oct 2006 , 5:07am
post #15 of 15

thanks so much for the tips and reassurance!! I'll let y'all know how it works out.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%