Whew - Finally Submitted My Wilton Contest Entry...

Decorating By mrskennyprice Updated 8 Oct 2006 , 7:57pm by Fairytale

mrskennyprice Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mrskennyprice Posted 30 Sep 2006 , 6:41pm
post #1 of 38

Nothing like waiting until the last minute. I don't even want to think about how many hours I put into this thing...but I learned a TON, which made it totally worth it, although I am super glad and relieved that it's over. I realized that after I screamed at my son yesterday to get away from my fondant dragon that I may be going a little overboard! Yikes. This is the first entry I've ever done...anyone out there have experience with these in the past? I hate/love having my work judged...I'm already so hard on myself, but I love learning and I really love getting atta girls.
LL

37 replies
Pootchi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Pootchi Posted 30 Sep 2006 , 6:53pm
post #2 of 38

I too submitted my entry this week for the Wilton contest. I've entered my "practice cake" that is in photos. It's my first entry to a contest besides the ones from here on CC. I'm wishing you good luck!!! Your cake is gorgeous!!!

KHalstead Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KHalstead Posted 30 Sep 2006 , 6:58pm
post #3 of 38

good luck to both of you the cakes look great!!!

mrskennyprice Posted 30 Sep 2006 , 7:22pm
post #4 of 38

Thanks gals! It means a lot to get the support of my peers on CC!!

KHalstead Posted 2 Oct 2006 , 1:58pm
post #5 of 38

it says now that visitors to wilton.com can vote.......how long does it normally take before you can start voting???? I just entered a cake too....since I saw this post. I didn't even realize it was going on. Have you looked at the past year's winners?? That looks like some tough competition. I couldn't even imagine if someone on CC wins 5,000...that would be so awesome to actually know the winner (well kinda)!!

Dustbunny Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Dustbunny Posted 2 Oct 2006 , 5:06pm
post #6 of 38

Good luck ladies!!!

KHalstead- The winner of I think it was the 2004 comtest (the diaper bag) is from here icon_smile.gif

KHalstead Posted 2 Oct 2006 , 5:08pm
post #7 of 38

really??? that's so cool.......I saw that cake, it was amazing!!!!!! A well deserved win for sure!!

CakesUnleashed Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakesUnleashed Posted 2 Oct 2006 , 5:25pm
post #8 of 38

I, too, entered for the first time and I am sure that I am not good enough to make it to the semi-finals but I felt it would be a good experience. We have to start sometime, right?

Good luck to everyone that entered. I think it would be F-A-B-U-L-O-U-S for one of us from CC to win! We can be supportive of each other!

It's all about learning and having fun doing it!

Best of Luck to you ALL!

CakesUnleashed Posted 2 Oct 2006 , 5:30pm
post #9 of 38

mrskennyprice, do you have a bigger photo to post for us to see? The one you posted is kind of small. I would love to be able to see all the details.

Thanks!

adven68 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
adven68 Posted 2 Oct 2006 , 5:33pm
post #10 of 38

I wanted to make a cake expressly for the contest, as they say...but I didn't have time. So my alternative was to enter one that I made for someone else....ideally the ship cake...but...I didn't have a top view photo for any cake except the Hey Diddle Diddle....
I don't think it's a winner...but I entered it anyway....hey...ya never know! Last year's winners were outstanding.

KHalstead Posted 2 Oct 2006 , 5:37pm
post #11 of 38

yikes!!! cakesunleashed is definitely fierce competition LOL I hope YOU win.....those cakes in your album are simply amazing!!!!! There are not many people I could honestly say I would pay for a cake from (of course because I'd just try to make it myself for less money)....but I think I would definitely order a cake from you!!!!!

CakesUnleashed Posted 2 Oct 2006 , 5:49pm
post #12 of 38

Ohhhh, KHalstead, you have made my YEAR! I have had no training and I live in the boonies so I have to create when time allots me. Thank you so very much for the boost of confidence.

What I think we should do if we make it to the finals, is announce that our cakes are there then we can get the support of CC members to vote too!

Once again, I am so thankful for people like you, KHalstead. I appreciate your positive comments. icon_wink.gificon_lol.gif

This week: I am attempting a Tiki Bar/Hula Girls 50th Birthday Cake. I got the idea from one of Debbie Brown's books. Never attempted it before, so...wish me luck!

Best wishes to you ALL in the Wilton Cake Decorating Contest.

thumbs_up.gif

THESUGARCOW Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
THESUGARCOW Posted 2 Oct 2006 , 5:54pm
post #13 of 38

icon_lol.gificon_lol.gif
well guess what?
i did send one! jejeje
it is a cow fairy! yeah! i couldnt never go wrong with a cow!
well lets see....i wanted to do other thing but waited too long ...so i ended just putting my birthday cake jajjaja
i am just a starter but i have practice on cows icon_lol.gif
she looked so cute she had a dress and looked cute but i dont think u are allowed to put your picture!
check the details.....
good luck!
i hope somebody likes my cow! icon_confused.gif
after all u dont see cow fairies that often?
well i will know probably ny the end of october if they selected my cow she had even wings! everything was edible it is in my tummy now! bua! icon_cry.gif

springlakecake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
springlakecake Posted 2 Oct 2006 , 6:01pm
post #14 of 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by CakesUnleashed

What I think we should do if we make it to the finals, is announce that our cakes are there then we can get the support of CC members to vote too!

I think that is a great idea...if anyone makes it to the semi finals, let us all know so we can vote!

CakesUnleashed Posted 2 Oct 2006 , 6:09pm
post #15 of 38

KHalstead, I just checked out your cakes and I can't imagine you NOT winning. Good luck! I will vote for ya (that is if I don't make it to the semi-finals!) LOL!!!!!! icon_biggrin.gificon_surprised.gifthumbs_up.gif

mrskennyprice Posted 3 Oct 2006 , 6:26pm
post #16 of 38

cakesunleashed - I posted the front and top views of my castle in my album, but since you need to have smaller pics to post in the forums, I just used my thumbnail.

Good luck everyone - I can't wait to see the winner!!

adven68 Posted 4 Oct 2006 , 1:08am
post #17 of 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dustbunny

Good luck ladies!!!

KHalstead- The winner of I think it was the 2004 comtest (the diaper bag) is from here icon_smile.gif

Oh...I never realized that! I did a search and sure enough...here it is!

http://www.cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=coppermine&file=displayimage&meta=search&search=diaper%20bag&cat=0&pos=1&search=diaper%20bag

CakesUnleashed Posted 4 Oct 2006 , 1:18am
post #18 of 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrskennyprice

cakesunleashed - I posted the front and top views of my castle in my album, but since you need to have smaller pics to post in the forums, I just used my thumbnail.

Good luck everyone - I can't wait to see the winner!!

OMG! The cake is unbelievably AWESOME! I have mixed emotions thumbs_up.gificon_biggrin.gificon_smile.gificon_sad.gificon_cry.gif I love your cakes and I know I don't compare to your quality. LOL!!!!!!

Seriously though, let's support one another from CC - We all are Da Bombs! icon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gif

peacockplace Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
peacockplace Posted 4 Oct 2006 , 1:28am
post #19 of 38

OH man... I've been so busy i missed it this year icon_cry.gif

jen1977 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jen1977 Posted 4 Oct 2006 , 1:36am
post #20 of 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by adven68

I wanted to make a cake expressly for the contest, as they say...but I didn't have time. So my alternative was to enter one that I made for someone else....ideally the ship cake...but...I didn't have a top view photo for any cake except the Hey Diddle Diddle....
I don't think it's a winner...but I entered it anyway....hey...ya never know! Last year's winners were outstanding.

Adven, I don't see how you couldn't win with almost any of your cakes! I LOVE all of your work! I hope to be as good as you someday!

ckkerber Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ckkerber Posted 4 Oct 2006 , 7:25am
post #21 of 38

I'm all for supporting fellow CC'ers . . . I have no doubt that the winner will come from here. i have seen such amazing artistry on this site that I'm beginning to believe that all cake decorating starts and ends here on CC!

I entered in the cookie part of the competition . . . my cakes are not up to competition standards, though why I entered under cookies is beyond me since I've only decorated cookies about four or five times! But for some reason, when I envisioned ideas for this contest, they all came in the form of cookies!

Are we allowed to post our contest submissions? I read in the rules that entries must not have been published elsewhere and I had no idea if they meant professionally or if we were not allowed to post it here. Anyone have any idea?

Good luck to you all!

adven68 Posted 4 Oct 2006 , 12:14pm
post #22 of 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckkerber

Are we allowed to post our contest submissions? I read in the rules that entries must not have been published elsewhere and I had no idea if they meant professionally or if we were not allowed to post it here. Anyone have any idea?

Good luck to you all!

I don't think showing your peers what you submitted will break any rules. Show us..show us!!!

CakesUnleashed Posted 4 Oct 2006 , 12:41pm
post #23 of 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by adven68

Quote:

Good luck to you all!

I don't think showing your peers what you submitted will break any rules. Show us..show us!!!

I completely concur! This is an educational site and we are all co-inspirationalists! I truly believe that 90% of all entries into the Wilton contest were cakes made for an occassion. You can tell from past winners that there were Groom's Cakes, Actual Wedding Cakes, etc. You will note the backgrounds of the pics display this to be fact.

sugarlaced Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sugarlaced Posted 4 Oct 2006 , 12:58pm
post #24 of 38

Everyone's comments are great! I am addicted to CC!!! The support here is to be commended and it is a great boost in time of need. I made a cake specifically for the contest (Root Beer Float ice cream cake), I am putting it in my photos to be viewed after I send this, but also entered a couple of others that I had to make for last minute b-days. One of which I was very pleased with. Feel like I am tooting my own horn.lol Anyway, I am not expecting a win by any means, but it was great fun to enter and who knows... GOOD LUCK to everyone here and I too hope a CC member wins.

ckkerber Posted 4 Oct 2006 , 1:18pm
post #25 of 38

Okay, then, here are my cookies that I submitted. With the Rose Planter cookie, it's a highly impractical cookie and you would not make dozens of them at a time . . . it's supposed to be a centerpiece cookie and then you would make dozens of much simpler cookies for an occasion.

The castle cookie has a chocolate transfer of the castle, trees, sky, and grass.

I had so much fun making these for the contest that now I think I may branch out into cookies as well as my beloved cakes!
LL
LL

mrskennyprice Posted 5 Oct 2006 , 9:21pm
post #26 of 38

holy stromboli ckkerber! those are SOME cookies!! wowee...and to think, all of my ideas of cookies are pretty much flat and round!

KHalstead Posted 5 Oct 2006 , 9:28pm
post #27 of 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by CakesUnleashed

KHalstead, I just checked out your cakes and I can't imagine you NOT winning. Good luck! I will vote for ya (that is if I don't make it to the semi-finals!) LOL!!!!!! icon_biggrin.gificon_surprised.gifthumbs_up.gif

too funny...........I'll vote for you ..........even if I make it too.....yeah right!!! No way I'm makin it!!!

KHalstead Posted 5 Oct 2006 , 9:32pm
post #28 of 38

ckkerber awesome cookies!!! Wow!!!!

ckkerber Posted 5 Oct 2006 , 11:05pm
post #29 of 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by KHalstead

Thanks for the great feedback, guys! I have to say that I really like doing chocolate transfers for cookies. I'm pretty royal-icing-challenged so I like that I can do intricate designs with another medium PLUS I think the chocolate tastes better so it's win-win!

adven68 Posted 6 Oct 2006 , 12:46am
post #30 of 38
Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by KHalstead

I'm pretty royal-icing-challenged

icon_lol.gificon_lol.gif That was very cute....
I don't see why any one of us couldn't win something....good luck to everyone!!!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%