8 Days To Wedding & Now Bride Decides She Wants Delivery

Business By kathik Updated 19 Aug 2007 , 8:31pm by kathik

kathik Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kathik Posted 3 Aug 2007 , 9:23pm
post #1 of 38

Okay, I originally quoted $125.00 delivery charge because the venue is 2 hours away and gas prices are crazy! icon_eek.gif I told her I need to know at signing of contract so I could block out that time for her. I mean we are talking about at leat 4.5 hours! She opted to pick it up because she didn't want to pay the delivery charge.

Now, her mother wants her to have it delivered. I don't have any bookings that day, but I did want to spend it with my family because my son is leaving for school at the end of the month. Is it fair for me to charge a higher amount since it is so last minute because I have to juggle my schedule to accomodate her? I'm not worried about her choosing to pick it up instead (based on price) since that was the plan anyway.

Thanks,
Kathi

P.S. Oh, and my husband just reminded me, we would have to reschedule a private class we are taking with the Rabbi.

37 replies
kathik Posted 3 Aug 2007 , 9:41pm
post #2 of 38

Anyone??? Please share your opinion. She wants me to call before Shabbos starts which is in about 2 hours. Talk about giving me time to think! icon_eek.gif

Kathi

Doug Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Doug Posted 3 Aug 2007 , 9:46pm
post #3 of 38

your script for talking to her:

"I'm sorry, but since you did not originally opt to have the cake delivered, I've already booked other appointments for that day which prevent me from delivering the cake.
You will have to arrange to have it picked up."

----

she doesn't need to know who the appts. are with (son, private class, the mop, your bed!)

one of the best tidbits of time management advice I ever learned was to purposefully schedule ME time -- and then when some asks if you are free: Sorry, I have an appt. already. -- none of their beeswax who the appt. is with.

also: "Lack of planning on your part, does not constitute an emergency on my part."

Have a blessed Shabbos!

missnnaction Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
missnnaction Posted 3 Aug 2007 , 9:48pm
post #4 of 38

I wouldn't do it... She had plenty of time and for her or her mother to decide at the last minute that they want it delievered is unacceptable... You should tell her the truth.. that you have already made plans and that you can't change them...

missnnaction Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
missnnaction Posted 3 Aug 2007 , 9:49pm
post #5 of 38

Yeah... exactly what Doug said....icon_wink.gif

briannastreats Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
briannastreats Posted 3 Aug 2007 , 9:50pm
post #6 of 38

I would either charge extra for a last minute delivery, or tell her she needs to arrange to have it picked up (as stated in the contract she signed) or she can cancel the cake without a refund. I would maybe find a nicer way to say it, but she signed a contract with you, and you scheduled your life around that contract for that particular day. Or could she meet you half way, but you still charge the full delivery amount you previously quoted her??

cakesbyamym Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesbyamym Posted 3 Aug 2007 , 9:58pm
post #7 of 38

Other bookings or not, she opted for pick up and that's that. I'd have "other appointments" on my schedule...which you do...maybe not THAT day...but you DO have other appointments. Not your problem anymore... Delivery charge or no, she should've thought about that prior. I wouldn't do it. Period.

Amy

ntertayneme Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ntertayneme Posted 3 Aug 2007 , 10:00pm
post #8 of 38

If I had to deliver it, she'd come pay me up front the delivery charges and I'd definitely charge her (possibly double the amount) to do it since she infringed on "ME" time like Doug said.... I mean, come on, 8 days before a wedding and they think they can just call and say "oh yeah, by the way, can you deliver my cake now?" and think you can just drop everything to accomodate? Yeah, I'd drop it alright with a fee for double the normal delivery charges for taking time away from my family... or if you don't want to do it, do as Doug stated and just tell her you cannot do it now.... just my opinion of course, but it really gets under my skin the way people think we can just rearrange our lives to arrange everything perfectly for theirs... *sigh*

lillykaci1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lillykaci1 Posted 3 Aug 2007 , 10:04pm
post #9 of 38

I totally agree, and if you do deliver it yes it is fair to charge more at the last second. What does she expect everything to go her way or something..

MicheleH Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MicheleH Posted 3 Aug 2007 , 10:11pm
post #10 of 38

I must be the only sucker in the bunch!! I would probably deliver it because I don't like confrontation and would be afraid that I'd send the bride/MOB over the edge so close to the wedding. I'm a big softie though!

Could you possibly find something fun for the whole family to do at the site that way they could ride along with you and make a day of it?

ntertayneme Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ntertayneme Posted 3 Aug 2007 , 10:21pm
post #11 of 38

LOL... MicheleH, you sound so much like my sister .. she's exactly like that ... she'll get a call and someone will completley change their plans; she'll change everything she had planned to accomodate them and try to think of something positive to gain from it .. there's nothing at all wrong with that but it just comes a time though that you have to stop letting people walk over you and take control of your life.. I know the bride and MOB have a lot on their plates to get done and their nerves are frayed along about right now; however Doug nailed it right on the head when he said "Lack of planning on your part, does not constitute an emergency on my part."

bobwonderbuns Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bobwonderbuns Posted 3 Aug 2007 , 10:24pm
post #12 of 38

Exactly what everyone else said -- no, no and no. I'm dealing with a mother of the bride and I made it quite clear to her that on Aug. 1st, which is exactly one month before the blessed event, all details are FINAL, including delivery and NOTHING is up for change, I don't care if the sky is falling!! I even made her sign a contract to that effect and (Lord willing) I won't see her until after the wedding when I pick up my stuff.

That's the one thing about these bridezillas and their moms, they expect us to be at their beck and call, and it escapes them that life just does not work that way. Stick to your guns sweetie!! God is FAR more important than bridezilla! icon_twisted.gificon_lol.gif

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 3 Aug 2007 , 10:31pm
post #13 of 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by missnnaction

Yeah... exactly what Doug said....icon_wink.gif

Ditto.

In my job with a manufacturer, I would have to schedule orders thru the factory. I had one customer who canceled his order. Ok...no problem. He calls back 2 days later and wants the order reinstated. I told him there was a 6 week leadtime. He tells me he should be able to get them on the same original date "....because you had them scheduled already!"

I told him, "When I canceled your order, I had 15 other CSR's with other customers just waiting for an open time slot. That time in the factory schedule was filled within 15 seconds of me entering the 'delete' key. If you want back in the schedule, you'll have to get in line with everyone else. We cannot leave a slot open in the off-chance that you will call back in 2 days because you've changed your mind."

(And some of you wonder where I get my hard-a$$ attitude!)

Same here ..... she told you no delivery. She cannot expect you to leave that time open just in case she calls you at the last minute because she's changed her mind.

A 10 minute delivery .... I'd say go ahead and do it. But she's asking you to take up your entire day.

A 2.5 hour drive one way .... to give that some perspective, you can drive across the entire state of INdiana in about 2 hours. (well .... if you drive like ME you can!).

HOld your ground. This is business .... not personal. If I were to do this last minute, I'd have to charge time-and-a-half because it would throw my driver into overtime. (and for the record .... I wouldn't do it).

cambo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cambo Posted 3 Aug 2007 , 10:32pm
post #14 of 38

Oh sweetie....I wouldn't do it....ditto Doug's advice.

step0nmi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
step0nmi Posted 3 Aug 2007 , 10:40pm
post #15 of 38

Indydebi is right! IF you are going to do it then you would have to charge time and a half. Just like if anyone worked over time at their job that is what they would receive. So...$200! Since you quoted $125 before and just upping it $15 since it's last minuet to make it even!

I wouldn't do it though...you are booked now! For all she knows it's a cake!!

kathik Posted 3 Aug 2007 , 10:40pm
post #16 of 38

Okay, this is the email I just sent her:

Dear xxx,

I left a message on your voice mail but also wanted you to have a "written"
copy. I do have a number of appointments on Sunday, the twelfth, however I
could reschedule them if necessary. However, due to the late date and the
need to reschedule these appointments, I would charge $250.00 for the
delivery. I would also need payment of this fee by Wednesday, August 8,
2007. Again, due to the proximity to the wedding, my policy is to only
accept money orders at this point.

If you and your mother should decide you want me to deliver the cake, please
contact me as soon as you decide so I can reschedule my other appointments.
If I have not heard from you by 10 A.M. on Monday, August 6, 2007, I will be
unable to deliver the cake and it will need to be picked up per our
contract.

I hope your other plans are going smoothly,
Kathi Kreider
Parve Pleasures and More

I figure that since they didn't want delivery in the first place because I was charging $125, then her mother will probably freak out at $250. If not and she still wants me to deliver it, at least I'll make a decent amount off of it!

bobwonderbuns Posted 3 Aug 2007 , 10:43pm
post #17 of 38

Very nice letter Kathi!! Let us know what happens.

rikley Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rikley Posted 3 Aug 2007 , 10:43pm
post #18 of 38

I agree, I wouldnt do it. If she said she would pick it up, then she has to pick it up. You shouldnt have to rearrange your schedule to accomadate a last minute change of plans.

As someone said, it doesnt constitute an emergency!

indydebi Posted 3 Aug 2007 , 10:44pm
post #19 of 38

Well, at least with $250, you and your family can have a nice dinner on the way home! icon_lol.gificon_lol.gif

bobwonderbuns Posted 3 Aug 2007 , 11:27pm
post #20 of 38

Indydebi -- you can really drive across Indiana in two hours??? Gosh, it took me four!! icon_lol.gif

MillyCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MillyCakes Posted 3 Aug 2007 , 11:43pm
post #21 of 38

Double deliverly sounds good to me! Please let us know how it turns out!

CakeRN Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakeRN Posted 3 Aug 2007 , 11:43pm
post #22 of 38

bobwonderbuns.....Indydeb drives at warp speed....( that is the term my bil uses to say how fast I drive) and you could make it in a bit over 2 hours....starting from the ohio line and take 70....and as long as traffic doesn't slow you down or get in your way you should make it in that time.... icon_lol.gif

Kathik....You GO GIRL!!!

of course I am not sure how well kids and a wedding cake would be together in the same vehicle unless the kids are in a cage icon_lol.gif and can't get to the cake... icon_wink.gif

gabbenmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
gabbenmom Posted 3 Aug 2007 , 11:45pm
post #23 of 38

I think you are being more than fair, although I agree with Doug and think Indydebi is so right! I love her way of thinking!!!!!!
Good luck and if you do deliver, enjoy that dinner with your family!!!! icon_lol.gif

kathik Posted 3 Aug 2007 , 11:55pm
post #24 of 38

I don't think I'll hear back from her until Sunday, but I will definitely let you know what she says. If I do deliver, it will just be my daughter/apprentice going with me, so no worries about caging the children. Although, when my two were little we used to dream about patenting a clear plexiglass wall that went between the front and back seats AND had a divider so the children could see each other but not hear or touch each other!!! icon_lol.gif

Alas, indydebi, if only there was a kosher restaurant between here and there. icon_rolleyes.gif But, that's okay, IF it happens, I'll save it for a nice dinner out in Baltimore the day we drive our son up to school! icon_biggrin.gif

Oh, and bobwonderbuns, I have to admit, when we lived in Chicago and would drive back to PA for visits, we could drive across Indiana in 2 hours, too. Of course, we were young and foolish. Now we're old and foolish! icon_wink.gif

Kathi

indydebi Posted 4 Aug 2007 , 12:13am
post #25 of 38

I consider the posted speed limit merely a suggstion! (although I did find out the hard way that the Illinois State Police take it pretty seriously!) icon_lol.gificon_lol.gif

(Seriously, the last exit when you leave INdiana and enter OHio I believe is #156, meaning INdiana is 156 miles wide. Figure 70-75 mph and you can do it in 2 hours when traveling on I-70.)

CakeRN Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakeRN Posted 4 Aug 2007 , 12:21am
post #26 of 38

[quote="indydebi"]I consider the posted speed limit merely a suggstion! (although I did find out the hard way that the Illinois State Police take it pretty seriously!) icon_lol.gificon_lol.gif quote]

Yea I too found out the hard way several times in a row in early 06....almost lost the license....cruise control for me now...at about 74..

my foot is still heavy ...thought it might get lighter with age....but NOOOOOO...just more impatient with stupid drivers...

Good Luck Kathik...can't wait to see the finished cake....

LauraS Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LauraS Posted 4 Aug 2007 , 12:22am
post #27 of 38

lol, i am never driving with any of you, lol, scary.

bobwonderbuns Posted 4 Aug 2007 , 2:20am
post #28 of 38

Geez, when I drive, I drive faster than the speed of light -- I travel at the speed of thought!! icon_lol.gif

bobwonderbuns Posted 5 Aug 2007 , 4:38pm
post #29 of 38

hey Kathi -- today is Sunday. Have you heard from her?? What happened???

cakesbyamym Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesbyamym Posted 5 Aug 2007 , 5:02pm
post #30 of 38

I'm curious to see the outcome, too. What happened? Have you heard back from her???

Sign me,
Nosey in NC...Amy...LOL

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%