I'm Almost Crying, Can Somebody Please Help?!!!

Decorating By PieceoCake Updated 3 Aug 2007 , 10:49pm by Lybby2000

PieceoCake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
PieceoCake Posted 3 Aug 2007 , 3:47pm
post #1 of 26

A cake is due today and I started decorating, when I mixed the coloring into the icing everything was good. Now that it's in the bag and I'm decorating it's turning white. My decorations are getting a horrible tint of white and color. Can somebody please help?!!! What do I do?

25 replies
hsmomma Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
hsmomma Posted 3 Aug 2007 , 3:58pm
post #2 of 26

The only thing I can think of is that it wasn't mixed completely.
I would squeeze it out of the bag and start over. Or, sometimes, you can even "knead" the bad with the icing in it to mix the color.
Good luck!

MommyBunny Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MommyBunny Posted 3 Aug 2007 , 4:00pm
post #3 of 26

Are you using a new bag? Maybe there is some white icing residue on the bag.

Just a thought.

Patricia

PieceoCake Posted 3 Aug 2007 , 4:02pm
post #4 of 26

Thanks for your reply, I added a little more powdered sugar and mixed some more but it still doesn't work. when I'm mixing it comes together but once I let it rest for a minute the color starts separating and white starts appearing. I'm getting so frustrated.

ericaann79 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ericaann79 Posted 3 Aug 2007 , 4:03pm
post #5 of 26

Sounds like the color wasn't mixed thoroughly...I agree, just squeeze it out re-mix and start over.

Lalana Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lalana Posted 3 Aug 2007 , 4:04pm
post #6 of 26

My guess is too much crisco. I've seen this happen in my bag after it's sat, but not quite as fast as yours is. Maybe mix in a lot more PS and flavor and see if it helps. Or it may be faster to just start over. Sorry you're having frustrations with it!

PieceoCake Posted 3 Aug 2007 , 4:05pm
post #7 of 26

The bags are new (disposable) the problem starts from the point of mixing it in the bowl. And once it is in the bag it starts getting worse.

HBcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
HBcakes Posted 3 Aug 2007 , 4:06pm
post #8 of 26

Maybe your color is old or there is something wrong with the icing- I've noticed occasionally when it's really humid or the weather is different, my icing can do some strange things. It's never been as bad as what you're describing though- I'm sorry I don't have any tips of you've already tried redoing it!! Have you tried adding more color to itensify it??

BeckySue Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BeckySue Posted 3 Aug 2007 , 4:07pm
post #9 of 26

I have never had color seperate like that - all I can think of is there is too much oil from the crisco or butter and you need to add more powdered sugar.... If this batch keeps giving you grief, maybe make a fresh batch and start again....sorry for your trouble. Keep your chin up!!

christinapp Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
christinapp Posted 3 Aug 2007 , 4:15pm
post #10 of 26

Take a deep breath, relax.

Are you mixing by hand? If so use the mixer or an electric hand mixer for speed which may integrate color better.

Are you really disapointed that there is some white with your colour? This may not be such a bad thing. As my mom would say "every mistake is a fashion".

I'm sorry you're having a bad time with this.

PieceoCake Posted 3 Aug 2007 , 4:17pm
post #11 of 26

Thank you all. I'll start a new batch and reduce the Crisco, It's a recipe my cake decorating instructor gave me, but I'm thinking of changing it anyways because it's a little to sweet.

kerri729 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kerri729 Posted 3 Aug 2007 , 4:57pm
post #12 of 26

One other question, what kind of coloring are you using? Americolor, Wilton? Sometimes the quality of color can make a difference and the age of it.

PieceoCake Posted 3 Aug 2007 , 5:08pm
post #13 of 26

I'm using Wilton, I've tried two colors already (Red Red and Red(no taste)) in separate batches of the same icing and it does the same thing.

TexasSugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TexasSugar Posted 3 Aug 2007 , 5:55pm
post #14 of 26

My guess is that it is the amount of color you are adding to your icing. I have this happen (with americolor and wilton) when I am trying to make really deep colors. It doesn't seperate until it is in the bag and I start piping with it. I think it has something to do with the warmth of my hands mixed with too much color.

Fo red, try making a deep pink icing then adding red to get it close to the red you need, then let it sit for a little while to darken up.

Mencked Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mencked Posted 3 Aug 2007 , 6:04pm
post #15 of 26

My guess is that the wilton gel is kind of old and sticky instead of really gel-like--is that possible? I've had that happen before, but don't remember it separating in the bag?!

Luxe42 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Luxe42 Posted 3 Aug 2007 , 6:08pm
post #16 of 26

When I was trying to make red. I used SOOOO much gel paste. I had to mix it and let the icing sit overnight to let the color deepen.

Red and Black are boogers!

Jennifer9800 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jennifer9800 Posted 3 Aug 2007 , 6:09pm
post #17 of 26

I agree with the comment above. Work with what is happening. THe worst that can happen is u start over which is what you have been doing anyway, if ur piping flowers that would be awesome or even just a white cake with red accents because then it looks like you coordinated the two and really made it "fancy" or realistic if u are making flowers. I use the wilton half shortening half butter and havent had it separate but blue usually does that to me. I just go with it cause i'm usually making water with it and it just makes it look more realistic. Go with it. And when u deliver it dont point it out. So many of us notice what we think are flaws but others think are masterpieces.

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 3 Aug 2007 , 6:13pm
post #18 of 26

I don't know if this reply is going to be timely or noticon_sad.gif
What kind of shortening are you using? There is some problem with the recipe/ingredients.
One other consideration: Is it really hot in your area? Do you have hot hands? Have you had any hint of such a problem before?
If you have warm hands, keep your icing in the frig until time to use it. Make sure you only fill the bag 1/2 full OR less and keep another bag filled in the frig so you can trade off every few minutes as your hands warm it up. Good luck.

MessiET Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MessiET Posted 3 Aug 2007 , 6:22pm
post #19 of 26

I agree with kakeladi about the warm hands. This happened to me when I was making red roses... the icing was OK until I started working with it and it did just as you describe - almost like the color separates from the icing. Refrigerating the icing will help.

Also, I wonder if adding a little meringue powder might also help...

Hope everything works out for you.

SuHwa Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SuHwa Posted 3 Aug 2007 , 6:28pm
post #20 of 26

I have this happen when I don't use distilled water in my icing. The minerals are to blame.

sarahnichole975 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sarahnichole975 Posted 3 Aug 2007 , 6:33pm
post #21 of 26

It's my experience that I have this trouble as well when it's really hot and humid (I am today!) Don't really know the fix though, but I have found that as it sets up it isn't quite so noticable.

CourtneysCustomCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CourtneysCustomCakes Posted 3 Aug 2007 , 6:57pm
post #22 of 26

You said that you are using the recipe that your instructor gave you. What Recipe is that? Maybe you can use another recipe. There are some here. And I'm sure that there are other CCer's out there that may be willing to give you their recipes.
If you'd like mine you can P.M. me.

Unfortunately I've never had it seperate back into white. I've had just the opposite, it is so hard to get a good red, when I finially get one and it starts to get warm it gets too dark.

I'm sorry you are having this problem. If your gel is too hard just add a little clear corn syrup to give it back it's life.

Good Luck.

C.C.C.

Luxe42 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Luxe42 Posted 3 Aug 2007 , 7:02pm
post #23 of 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuHwa

I have this happen when I don't use distilled water in my icing. The minerals are to blame.

This is interesting... icon_confused.gif

PieceoCake Posted 3 Aug 2007 , 8:03pm
post #24 of 26

I really appreciate everyones advice. I finished the cake and not only did I have that problem but after I decided to color the farm house that color (regarless of the multicolor scheme) the icing started getting watery. So as a result my house is drooping it looks like a fat farmhouse. I gave up, I am not doing anything else to this cake. But tonight is a different story, I have a WWE cake to make for tomorrow, which means I need to look for a good recipe that won't melt, that gets colors right (black and red), and is good for decorating. Any recipes you would like to share?
This is the recipe I used: 2lbs. powdered sugar, 1 1/3 C. Crisco shortening, 1/2 C. water, 1 tsp. butter flavor, 1 tsp. white vanilla flavor, 1/2 tsp. salt, 2 tbsp. Karo white syrup. Mix.
Right now I am a nervous wreck, the're picking up the cake in an hour, Did I mention this would be my second paid cake? I'm even thinking of giving it to them for free. I'll post pics and the customers comments after. Thanks Everyone.

CourtneysCustomCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CourtneysCustomCakes Posted 3 Aug 2007 , 10:42pm
post #25 of 26

Oh don't use that much water. Just add enough as your mixing to get the consistancy you want. There are much better Recipes here I think you should look into them.

Good Luck.

C.C.C.

Lybby2000 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lybby2000 Posted 3 Aug 2007 , 10:49pm
post #26 of 26

I too have had this problem before... my instructor told me not to use water, but use milk instead-the fattier the milk the better (I use whole)...haven't had the problem since...
Might be a coincidence, but I think it was the water...

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%