I'm Lookin G For Ideas On Creating A 3-D Train.

Decorating By JuJu72 Updated 7 Aug 2007 , 12:56pm by 7yyrt

JuJu72 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JuJu72 Posted 3 Aug 2007 , 11:10am
post #1 of 12

icon_rolleyes.gif I have 2 ideas, either on a circular cake, or a stand alone cake. It may include the engine, a box car and the caboose. The Little engine that could book keeps chugging through my brain. It is for a 10 yr. old boy that loves trains. Any ideas or pictures and decorating directions would be a blessing!! icon_wink.gif
Thanks all,

JuJu

11 replies
foxymomma521 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
foxymomma521 Posted 3 Aug 2007 , 11:28am
post #2 of 12

Try searching for "train" in the box on the side of the page... I'm sure you will come up with a bunch of ideas...

Tarabell Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Tarabell Posted 3 Aug 2007 , 11:31am
post #3 of 12

Wilton sells a 3-D pan, I did it for my son's 2nd birthday, it's in my pictures, it's super cute and comes with a couple of variations for decorating. Another option would be to build the cake, I'd use loaf pans carved to whatever shape you wanted. There's lot's of great train cakes on here, have a search through the gallery and see if something strikes your fancy. Good luck!

Tara

NewbeeBaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
NewbeeBaker Posted 3 Aug 2007 , 8:24pm
post #4 of 12

Not sure if you want a carved train cake, but here is a Thomas the Train tutorial that you could use...

http://thomasthetankenginecake.blogspot.com/

DecoratorJen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DecoratorJen Posted 5 Aug 2007 , 1:30pm
post #5 of 12

Williams Sonoma sells a 3D train pan. It is really cute with lots of cars too!

JuJu72 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JuJu72 Posted 5 Aug 2007 , 3:44pm
post #6 of 12

NewbeeBaker what a great tutorial!
icon_biggrin.gif Thank you and WOW!! What a gorgeous cake and beautiful tutorial! Your wording made the decorating sound so simple. I can tell how much you love decorating cakes!
Sincerely thankful for all your hardwork and dedication!

And thank you all for all your other great ideas, now I feel like a steam engine full of ideas and cannot wait to get started on this cake!

JuJu 72

springlakecake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
springlakecake Posted 5 Aug 2007 , 3:57pm
post #7 of 12

newbeebaker was just trying to send you a link to that tutorial. It was actually made by someone named Wendy or Wendysue? I think. Anyway I made a thomas cake and I did use that tutorial as inspiration also. I did end up doing a couple of things differently.

Here is another link with some different Thomas directions:http://forum.cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopict-356913-thomas.html

Here is how my Thomas turned out:
http://www.cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=478303

Obviously it doesnt have to be Thomas though

NewbeeBaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
NewbeeBaker Posted 5 Aug 2007 , 8:14pm
post #8 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by JuJu72

icon_biggrin.gif Thank you and WOW!! What a gorgeous cake and beautiful tutorial! Your wording made the decorating sound so simple. I can tell how much you love decorating cakes!

And thank you all for all your other great ideas, now I feel like a steam engine full of ideas and cannot wait to get started on this cake!

JuJu 72

Sorry it came across as mine=( It is just a tutorial that I have saved in my favorites, I definately didn't put all that hard work and effort into that awesome tutorial. Sorry for the confusion=( Jen

DianeLM Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DianeLM Posted 5 Aug 2007 , 8:42pm
post #9 of 12

Here's a train I did a few years ago. The engine is made with the Wilton pan. The car and caboose were formed from sheet cakes. The car and caboose are elevated. Oreo cookie wheels hide the supports!
LL

springlakecake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
springlakecake Posted 5 Aug 2007 , 8:49pm
post #10 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewbeeBaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by JuJu72

JuJu 72

Sorry it came across as mine=( It is just a tutorial that I have saved in my favorites, I definately didn't put all that hard work and effort into that awesome tutorial. Sorry for the confusion=( Jen

Dont worry, it didnt come across as yours to me! I did that once too though, someone posted some pics and I automatically assumed it was theirs!

iramirez94 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
iramirez94 Posted 5 Aug 2007 , 9:01pm
post #11 of 12

That is such great tutorial that I think i just might be able to make a Thomas cake.....Now I just need a volunteer birthday boy!!

7yyrt Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
7yyrt Posted 7 Aug 2007 , 12:56pm
post #12 of 12

She's a member here, I forget her user name. I recognized the cakes though (I talked to her about the Mickey Mouse one.)
GOOD, isn't she?

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%