Enhancing White Cake Mix

Baking By caixa Updated 18 Jun 2007 , 4:52pm by MarcieMom

caixa Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
caixa Posted 29 Sep 2006 , 4:29pm
post #1 of 13

I want to add vanilla pudding, almond and vanilla extract milk instead of water ( does it sound good so far? is my first time ) and I was wondering, do I add an xtra egg white also? Any tips will be aprecciated

12 replies
denise2434 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
denise2434 Posted 29 Sep 2006 , 6:46pm
post #2 of 13

Yep that's how I do mine! thumbs_up.gif You could also use white chocolate pudding or cheesecake pudding and they are yummy too! Yes...be sure to add the extra egg white.

Hope that helpls, ~Denise

sami21 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sami21 Posted 11 Oct 2006 , 4:05pm
post #3 of 13

Will the vanilla pudding affect the color of the white cake?
Also why the extra egg white?
I was going to follow this recipe. Let me know if this is okay.

1 package white cake mix
1 package of vanilla instant pudding mix
1 cup sour cream
1/2 cup milk
1/2 cup vegetable oil
4 large eggs

cookingqueen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cookingqueen Posted 11 Oct 2006 , 4:51pm
post #4 of 13

How do you make a moist white cake mix from scratch

denise2434 Posted 11 Oct 2006 , 5:14pm
post #5 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by sami21

Will the vanilla pudding affect the color of the white cake?
Also why the extra egg white?
I was going to follow this recipe. Let me know if this is okay.

1 package white cake mix
1 package of vanilla instant pudding mix
1 cup sour cream
1/2 cup milk
1/2 cup vegetable oil
4 large eggs

Hi sami!! Yes...the vanilla pudding will affect the color a tiny bit, but if you White Chocolate pudding it won't because it is white. The extra egg is used because your adding more dry ingredients so that balances it out.

That recipe should work out fine for you, if you use whole eggs it will change the color of the cake also. Here is a white cake recipe that I love, love, love for my white cakes.

White Almond Sour Cream Cake

1 box white cake mix
1 cup all-purpose flour
1 cup granulated sugar
1 teaspoon salt
4 egg whites
1 1/3 cups water
2 Tablespoon vegetable oil
1 cup sour cream
1 teaspoon clear vanilla flavor
1 teaspoon almond extract

Mix all dry ingredients by hand using a whisk in a very large mixing bowl. Add the rest of the ingredients and beat on low speed for 2 minutes. Bake at 325 degrees.

Hope that Helps, ~Denise

denise2434 Posted 11 Oct 2006 , 5:20pm
post #6 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by cookingqueen

How do you make a moist white cake mix from scratch

I wish I knew cookingqueen!! icon_cry.gif I'm a terrible scratch baker!! And I think that a white scratch cake is the hardest to find a recipe that is moist. You might could try to add a bit of sour cream to your batter.

~Denise

MessiET Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MessiET Posted 11 Oct 2006 , 5:23pm
post #7 of 13

White Almond Sour Cream cake is definetely my favorite. I change the flavor by using different cake mixes and also have tried adding the different flavored puddings to that. My family loves the taste and texture of this cake!

Yum!

sami21 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sami21 Posted 11 Oct 2006 , 11:16pm
post #8 of 13

Thanks Denise2434!

I found a made from scratch white cake recipe. It's from The Cake Bible. Has anyone tried this??
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
WHITE VELVET CAKE by Rose Levy Beranbaum
Makes 2, 8 - or 9 x 2-inch cake layers

This cake is from "The Cake Bible" by Rose Levy Beranbaum. I recommend it to every person interested in cake baking. This is the best white cake I have ever had, and can be made in any flavor. The butter makes it a little on the "off white" side, but after you taste it, you really don't care! When people want a really great wedding cake, but they want traditional white, this is the cake I make. I have used this cake with many fillings & many buttercreams.

4 large egg whites / 135 grams
1 cup milk / 242 grams
2 1/2 tsp vanilla (or any extract flavor: almond, lemon, orange, etc.) / 9 grams
1 - 2 tablespoons lemon or orange zest (peel) or 1/8 teaspoon pure citrus oil
3 cups sifted cake flour / 300 grams
4 tsp baking powder / 19.5 grams
1 1/2 cups superfine sugar / 300 grams
3/4 tsp salt / 5 grams
12 Tbsp (1 1/2 sticks) unsalted butter, cut into cubes and then sit out to soften / 170 grams

Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Prepare 2, 8- or 9-inch round cake pans with bakers grease or vegetable oil spray and line the bottoms with rounds of parchment or wax paper.

In a 4 cup bowl, combine the egg whites, 1/4 cup milk, vanilla, and orange zest. Beat with a fork to combine. Set aside.

In your mixing bowl combine the flour, baking powder, sugar and salt and mix with the paddle on low speed for 30 seconds to incorporate. Add the butter cubes to the dry ingredients and the remaining 3/4 cup of milk. Mix on low until the mixture is moistened. Scrape the bowl and increase the speed to medium and beat 1 1/2 minutes. Scrape and gradually add the egg white mixture in three batches, beat 20 seconds after each addition, then scrape the bowl each time.

Pour into the prepared pans and smooth the top. Bake 30+ minutes until the top is light brown and springs back when lightly touched. The sides should not shrink back from the pan until after you remove it from the oven.

Remove cake from oven and let cool 10 minutes in the pan, then turn the cake out onto cooling racks. Cool completely and finish with your favorite frosting. You can also wrap well and freeze for up to 2 months.

From The Cake Bible, by Rose Levy Beranbaum

mxpark Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mxpark Posted 11 Oct 2006 , 11:22pm
post #9 of 13

the cake doctor has some really amazing cake mix recipes!

goal4me Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
goal4me Posted 11 Oct 2006 , 11:23pm
post #10 of 13

The book has great recipes; haven't tried that one as yet though!

MessiET Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MessiET Posted 12 Oct 2006 , 1:22am
post #11 of 13

I tried a couple of the Cake Bible (Rose Levy Berenbaum) recipes and did not care for them. I think it was a butter cake and one of the chocolate recipes.

The cakes were OK the first day and tasty but by the second day both cakes tasted very dry - even though they were iced in buttercream and had them covered. Maybe I did not try the right recipes... but overall, I was very dissappointed. Also, the way she has you mix the ingredients is very strange icon_confused.gif

mommarivera Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mommarivera Posted 18 Jun 2007 , 4:13pm
post #12 of 13

That recipe sounds really good!!

MarcieMom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MarcieMom Posted 18 Jun 2007 , 4:52pm
post #13 of 13

Here is a White Cake recipe I found in an old edition of Better Homes and Gardens. I have made it this several times, and it is niice and moist. This also freezes really well, and does not get hard over time. icon_smile.gif

2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
2 cups sugar
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1 1/3 cups buttermilk or sour milk
1/2 cups shortening, margarine, or butter
1 teaspoon vanilla
4 egg whites

In a bowl combine flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, and 1/8 teaspoon salt. Add buttermilk, shortening, and vanilla. Beat with an electric mixer on low speed for 30 seconds, scraping bowl. Beat on medium to high speed for 2 minutes, scraping bowl occasionally. Add egg whites and beat for 2 minutes more, scraping bowl.

Pour into 2 greased and floured 9x1 1/2-inch round baking pans. Bake in a 350 degree oven for 30 to 35 minutes or till a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean. Cool on wire racks for 10 minutes. Loosen sides. Remove from pans.

I have made this for all sizes of cakes. I also use buttermilk, and shortening instead of the alternates.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%