Best Ever Cookie Icing!

Baking By Zmama Updated 18 Oct 2006 , 2:33pm by Dizzymaiden

RisqueBusiness Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
RisqueBusiness Posted 11 Oct 2006 , 4:28pm
post #31 of 48

I got a great tip from Paula Surrette on this site..

to decorate cookies with edible images..

just swipe a little melted white chocolate on the cookie and lay the image on top!

It works like a treat! you can see the technique on the cookies I made for my son with the game character on it.

cryssi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cryssi Posted 11 Oct 2006 , 5:09pm
post #32 of 48

just white chocolate on a bare cookie?

p.s. that cookie looks fantastic!

justfrosting Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
justfrosting Posted 11 Oct 2006 , 7:54pm
post #33 of 48

My best tip for using MMF on cookies (which is my preferred method--RI and I have come to blows in the past)

is this...pull the tray out of the oven and put the fondant on the cookie, then WHILE STANDING VERY VERY CLOSE put the cookies back into the oven for about 20 - 30 seconds.

It helps me get the fondant to melt slightly.

Dizzymaiden Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Dizzymaiden Posted 11 Oct 2006 , 8:05pm
post #34 of 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by justfrosting

It helps me get the fondant to melt slightly.

What a cool idea! I am trying it thumbs_up.gif What is the taste after letting it melt a bit? Does Wilton fondant do this as well? I have a box that I need to use up. (probably best to toss ... icon_sad.gif )

crimsonhair Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
crimsonhair Posted 12 Oct 2006 , 5:41am
post #35 of 48

This is the one I use.. It is very tasty and economical.. I love the way it looks on the cookies and it dries pretty quickly too..
Here is my recipe for the sugar glaze. It dries hard enough to stack the cookies, but does not dry as hard as royal or color flow.

Sugar Glaze

2 c. powdered sugar
2 tbsp. water
1 tbsp. light corn syrup
almond extract or vanilla to suit your taste

Stir ingredients together well. This consistency is for outlining. Add additional milk or water (I usually add a few drops at a time) to thin down for filling in the outline.
Liz

new2bake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
new2bake Posted 16 Oct 2006 , 7:20pm
post #36 of 48

Dear KHalstead, which MMF do u use and if its homemade, can u plz tell me the recipe....

Dizzymaiden Posted 16 Oct 2006 , 7:41pm
post #37 of 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by crimsonhair

This is the one I use.. It is very tasty and economical.. I love the way it looks on the cookies and it dries pretty quickly too..
Here is my recipe for the sugar glaze. It dries hard enough to stack the cookies, but does not dry as hard as royal or color flow.

Sugar Glaze

2 c. powdered sugar
2 tbsp. water
1 tbsp. light corn syrup

Stir ingredients together well. This consistency is for outlining. Add additional milk or water (I usually add a few drops at a time) to thin down for filling in the outline.
Liz

This is the bestt icing yet! Everyone raves about the taste and texture. No yucky aftertaste. Thanks icon_biggrin.gif

Yjudania Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Yjudania Posted 17 Oct 2006 , 1:07am
post #38 of 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dizzymaiden

Quote:

Sugar Glaze

2 c. powdered sugar
2 tbsp. water
1 tbsp. light corn syrup

Liz

This is the bestt icing yet! Everyone raves about the taste and texture. No yucky aftertaste. Thanks icon_biggrin.gif

I use this but with milk. I call it my modified Toba Glace. It dries perfectly and I don't have to worry about buying meringue powder or anyone getting sick from me using egg whites. Oh, and it tastes better to me than royal. Seems like I can always smell the egg and it affects the taste for me.

Zmama Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Zmama Posted 17 Oct 2006 , 1:24am
post #39 of 48

Does no one use bc? I've read where you can microwave canned frosting to thin, and it dries glossy. Does this work for homemade?

crimsonhair Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
crimsonhair Posted 17 Oct 2006 , 3:58am
post #40 of 48

I have to mention that the recipe I posted for the cookie glaze wasn't my own orignial recipe..I must thank loree001 and sweeterbug1977 for sharing their recipe with me when I first started making my decorated cookies..
Liz

new2bake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
new2bake Posted 17 Oct 2006 , 8:38am
post #41 of 48

thankyou everyone for helping me w/ the icing that doesnt inc meringue powder....i'll try it and let u all know how it goes...now if anyone can help me tell what that MMF recipie is for the lovely cookkies KHalstead made!

cryssi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cryssi Posted 17 Oct 2006 , 4:54pm
post #42 of 48

I just made 1/2 batch of antonia74's royal last night, and I can confirm what everyone else has said about the taste and texture. Of course, I used it to decorate a cake (writing) and it was a bit crumbly (if you're like me and accidentally bump into the decos), but I just know that it will be fantastic on nfsc. I purposely made this recipe so I would have extra for my cookies (whenever I get around to baking them). Kind of tastes like marshmellows/meringue cookies. Might be using this instead of mmf for cookies now! Also VERY easy to make.

Princess3 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Princess3 Posted 18 Oct 2006 , 4:11am
post #43 of 48

Alrighty, I have made NFSC with Antonia74 icing. I love the icing but dont like sugar cookies! Sorry I am a chocolate chip kinda girl! I love mmf but have only used it as accents on cake. I am going to try NFSC with MMF next and then pipe with royal icing. There are just so many options! It has my curiosity why people dont use buttercream on cookies I love that stuff too. But for quick and pretty work I like Antonias icing. By the way, can royal icing be used the same way to pipe on cake and cookies as you would bc? I just dont like to get too involved using several recipes at once. Recipe to make the cookie, recipe for mmf to cover the cookie and royal icing to pipe accents! That is alot of work!IMHO!

pookster Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pookster Posted 18 Oct 2006 , 4:23am
post #44 of 48

mmf all the way baby!!!!!i love the look and the taste!!!!

brittanydear Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
brittanydear Posted 18 Oct 2006 , 7:04am
post #45 of 48
Quote:

Sugar Glaze

2 c. powdered sugar
2 tbsp. water
1 tbsp. light corn syrup

Liz

This sounds like a great recipe. I especially like it because it does not contain milk or egg whites, two things I worry about leaving out on cookies for long periods of time with kids around.

Can you use it for details and decorations on cookies also? Or is it more for outlining and filling? THANKS!!!!!!!

Tkeys Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Tkeys Posted 18 Oct 2006 , 1:38pm
post #46 of 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zmama

GRRRR! My fiance is adament - "I want your REGULAR icing on my cookies" ie the bc recipe I inherited from the woman who did my first wedding cake. It *should* harden enough to bag, but not to stack. Plus, might have to smooth each cookie, and worry about the edges, which could get frustrating.

Any tips to make it harden up nicely?

Add some meringue pwd to it - a tablespoon or two when you are mixing it up - it shouldn't change the flavor, but it will help it crust and harden a bit.

licia Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
licia Posted 18 Oct 2006 , 1:46pm
post #47 of 48

This is great I have to make cross cookies for a church service. I am really excited

Dizzymaiden Posted 18 Oct 2006 , 2:33pm
post #48 of 48

[quote="Tkeys"]

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zmama

GRRRR! My fiance is adament - "I want your REGULAR icing on my cookies" ie the bc recipe I inherited from the woman who did my first wedding cake.

Please share your special bc recipie. I love trying new icings. If your DF loves it, it must be yummy.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%