Sil Driving Me Crazy!! Need To Vent!

Decorating By Cakegrl Updated 2 Aug 2007 , 11:31am by cakeatopia

Cakegrl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cakegrl Posted 1 Aug 2007 , 2:52am
post #1 of 10

I decided to do my niece's birthday cake- she lives out of town 500 miles away. I've decided to do gumpaste figures. I was talking to my Mom, (who is living there) what the theme of the party was going to be. She said it was the 3 princesses. She suggested I pick one of the three to do my cake of. I started thinking up ideas for that cake and then found out from my Mom that my niece asked for either of two other Disney characters for a cake. No problem, I hadn't started yet, just thought up a great idea which took a lot of time creating... icon_twisted.gif I picked one of the two my niece mentioned instead. I just spent 4 hours making a figurine for that- and then found an email from my SIL saying she didn't want to be rude but my niece really wanted the other Disney character (that I didn't pick) cake instead. AGGGGHHHHHH!!! icon_cry.gif Will they make up their minds already??? icon_mad.gif I wonder if I go with this theme if they'll change it to Dumbo or something.... icon_mad.gificon_mad.gificon_cry.gif My SIL is like that- she just flits from one thing to another and doesn't think how it will affect someone else. She has done some cakes, but doesn't have much experience and she tends to do everything really fast (It's really annoying) so doesn't really have appreciation for how long things take other people (who slow down and take care in what they do). If it weren't for my niece, I'd just cancel my plane tickets and not go. icon_mad.gificon_cry.gificon_mad.gif
I'm just so frustrated and knew you guys would understand what we put into our cakes- not just the time but the effort, supplies etc. Thanks for listening to me vent! I feel a bit better now.

9 replies
reenie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
reenie Posted 1 Aug 2007 , 3:04am
post #2 of 10

I would just inform her that your niece said one of the two and you picked one to do and it's already done... end of story. If it means that much to her then tell her she can make the other topper and you'll take the cake.

AuntieElle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AuntieElle Posted 1 Aug 2007 , 4:53am
post #3 of 10

Unfortunately family takes advantage of us from time to time. She may change her mind a dozen more times, who knows. I would just let her know that you have already created the figure and don't have time to create another after explaining how long it takes. Some folks just don't get it. I'll swear to you people think tat since it's done in 30 minutes on TV that it only takes 30 minutes at home. I can make a cake in 30 minutes. . . it won't be baked completely and will look like crap! Hope it works out well for you. Keep on plugging!

Elle

MahalKita Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MahalKita Posted 1 Aug 2007 , 5:10am
post #4 of 10

I have a SIL like that. In fact I have 3 SILs like that & 2 BILs. What fun doing nice things for family usually turns out to be. Good Luck! icon_confused.gif

amberhoney Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
amberhoney Posted 1 Aug 2007 , 5:29am
post #5 of 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by reenie

If it means that much to her then tell her she can make the other topper and you'll take the cake.

I just about spit out my coffee at that one, that's a great cure for one of those 'it's just cake' people!

Cakegrl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cakegrl Posted 2 Aug 2007 , 2:31am
post #6 of 10

I am really starting to regret offering to make this cake. I sent a picture of the figure I made to my Mom. She said that she thought it was much too "heavy-set" , and her face was too round and she didn't look anything like the Disney version. She suggested she make the figure in gumpaste instead of me icon_eek.gificon_mad.gif . (She has never worked with gumpaste by the way, or even fondant) She thought some tools she had "like nail clippers" would be much finer than what I had and would work better. She also mentioned that I have a hand tremmor that makes it harder "to work with delicate things" icon_eek.gif Mind you, it was my first person figurine, and it did settle a bit and I wasn't really happy with it but come on! I've made delicate stargazer lilies, freesia, tulips and lots of other delicate flowers including roses out of gumpaste and they looked great. And she thinks that I can't work with delicate things??? Maybe figures aren't my forte, but she thinks she can do it better having never worked with gumpaste???? She said it looks like I'd be better at doing figurines like the 7 dwarfs because this one turned out so short and heavyset...
What are they putting in the water there???? icon_mad.gificon_mad.gificon_cry.gif
Sorry for th long post, and for your understanding. I thought it would be nice to do this cake because it was for a 3 year old, and it would give me a chance to do a cake for family. My in-laws don't want me to do any cakes anymore (I think my MIL is jelous, but I'm not sure) so I thought at least my family would appreciate it. I don't think I'll be offering again! At least my DH loves my cakes and appreciates them! Him and my co-workers who think I'm great at decorating!

katwomen1up Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
katwomen1up Posted 2 Aug 2007 , 2:50am
post #7 of 10

OMG, I would have to tell my mother to make the cake too! It's the thought that counts and I really don't think a 3 year old is going to care. Give it to her on top of a cupcake just for her because she's so special. Heck bring a cupcake for you too! Sometimes mothers don't think. I hope I never do that to anyone.

kota77 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kota77 Posted 2 Aug 2007 , 3:11am
post #8 of 10

Reading this post was making me mad. I hate when people don't give any thought into the time it takes to make something. You would think that since it was for family, they would be able to appreciate your hard work and time. I hope it all works out somehow...now at least you know not to offer anymore!

CourtneysCustomCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CourtneysCustomCakes Posted 2 Aug 2007 , 4:48am
post #9 of 10

I think at this point you tried your best to conform to their wants. I think they are not only unreasonable but out right rude. I'd just tell them to make or buy the cake them selves, and just sit back and smile knowing that you would have done a better job.

Don't stress yourself about this. Go get your niece a great gift (I'm sure they'll complain about that too but they are just jealous.) And remember they are In Laws. And you know the difference between Outlaws and Inlaws don't you.........Outlaws are wanted.

CCC

cakeatopia Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakeatopia Posted 2 Aug 2007 , 11:31am
post #10 of 10

Tell her(kinda stretching the truth a bit) that if you made the figure any more "DISNEY", you would be sued for coypyright infringement!!!! (I know the real lawyer and such--dh is one of those-lol).

How old is your niece btw? I am all for her having a say in her cake,but come on, some ages really aren't as critical as their freaky parents. I have a sil and a sister and they'd both be this way too. That is one reason there is not much togetherness!

As I always told my 2nd graders when I taught school, "Do your best, forget the rest". Like forget the rest of the sugar in their pieces of cake--lol

Goodluck!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%