Local Cake Supply Stores...

Decorating By TexasSugar Updated 6 Aug 2007 , 1:11am by angelas2babies

TexasSugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TexasSugar Posted 31 Jul 2007 , 11:54pm
post #1 of 39

Okay this is a question about local cake supply stores, not Michaels, Hobby Lobby's and such.

For those that are lucky enough to have them, when you go to your local cake supply store what is it you are going for? What types of products do you buy from them? What types of products do you wished they carried?

For those that aren't lucky, like me, what would you want in a local cake supply store? What products (other than Wilton) would you like to have handy and local so that you can purchase them when you needed them for those last minute things and didn't have to order and pay shipping and handling for?

38 replies
MichelleM77 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MichelleM77 Posted 1 Aug 2007 , 12:03am
post #2 of 39

Satin Ice Fondant!! I love having a store close by so that I don't have to pay for shipping. It's also nice to have a professional cake person so that I can ask all of my I'm-a-newbie-and-don't-know-anything questions! icon_smile.gif

missnnaction Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
missnnaction Posted 1 Aug 2007 , 12:17am
post #3 of 39

I go to purchase boxes, cake rounds, flavored oils.. basically everything that Michael's or HL don't carry. Hmm. dragees, molds.. and If they don't have what I'm looking for, they offer to order it. They don't have any pem or fmm products.. that's what I wish they carried...

oh, and I go for luster dust

i_heart_pastry Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
i_heart_pastry Posted 1 Aug 2007 , 4:26am
post #4 of 39

There is nothing where I live either, so I always try to visit a cake shop or two when we travel to larger cities. I typically look for fondant/gumpaste tools, such as cutters and molds. Also petal/luster dusts and sometimes cake pans (so I don't have to pay shipping for good pans). I like many of the products by FMM, PME and Patchwork Cutters, so I'll often check out those if a particular shop has a good selection. It just depends on what I need and what my budget is. Plus I like to check out the books and magazines, particularly ones from the UK and Australia (love the techniques). I'm also a cookie cutter junkie, so I usually end up getting a few of those too (although I never seem to find time to use them all). icon_rolleyes.gif

Another thing I love about many of the shops I've visited is the wealth of information you can get from the owners. Some shops will offer classes and have dummy cakes set up - love to check those out!!!

So, are you planning to open a shop?

Bec

DoniB Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DoniB Posted 1 Aug 2007 , 4:43am
post #5 of 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasSugar

Okay this is a question about local cake supply stores, not Michaels, Hobby Lobby's and such.

For those that are lucky enough to have them, when you go to your local cake supply store what is it you are going for? What types of products do you buy from them? What types of products do you wished they carried?

For those that aren't lucky, like me, what would you want in a local cake supply store? What products (other than Wilton) would you like to have handy and local so that you can purchase them when you needed them for those last minute things and didn't have to order and pay shipping and handling for?

I get my cake boards, boxes, doilies, etc from there. I can buy the amount I actually need, instead of the six-packs (or whatever) by Wilton. I also get fillings and specialty pans there, and TIPS!!!! So many of the books I get inspiration from, use tips that the big box stores don't carry, so I try to stock up on the lesser-known tips when I can.

And the hard-to-find separators... the ovals, squares, and hexagons. I don't know about everywhere else, but in my neck of the woods, we get circles. End of story. icon_razz.gif

My local cake shop is also a candy supply store, so there are tons of molds for just about everything you can think of, which is nice for accents on cakes. icon_smile.gif

cakeatopia Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakeatopia Posted 1 Aug 2007 , 4:44am
post #6 of 39

All of the above! I have one minutes from my house. Can't say enough good things about them. They sell Ateco tips, do edible images, lots of diff pans, including the plastic character pans that are under $5--never used them but they apparently work. They have GREAT classes--have not been to one yet but their website looks fun. They pack soo much into a small place. Their people are so knowledgeable and fun. They do carry different fondants like Satin Ice--I am such a newbie--right now I just use mmf. They have a wider variety of cutters--the Wilton ones, plus others. I think their prices sometimes are even cheaper than HL or Michaels on their tips and cutters. They also carry the Americolor shades, powdered colors, glycerine, flavorings and just so much.

I'd love to work there one day. Just a neat place!

summernoelle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
summernoelle Posted 1 Aug 2007 , 4:45am
post #7 of 39

I go for all the luster dusts, Americolor (Hobby Lobby and Michaels only have Wilton), Satin Ice, impression mats, special cutters, special rollers, cake dummies, etc. For very basic stuff, Hobby Lobby is fine. Luckily, there are two great stores not too far from me (Plano-ish).

Hollyanna70 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Hollyanna70 Posted 1 Aug 2007 , 4:57am
post #8 of 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by summernoelle

I go for all the , (Hobby Lobby and Michaels only have Wilton), Satin Ice, impression mats, special cutters, special rollers, cake dummies, etc. For very basic stuff, Hobby Lobby is fine. Luckily, there are two great stores not too far from me (Plano-ish).

Ditto!

Plus the powdered food color you can use in candy, rather than liquid or gel.

Also, I would like to find a store even closer to where I live, with employees that don't act like I'm an idiot when I ask them a newb question. They give classes, they're experienced decorators, but when I ask a question about something they sigh and act like they're frustrated I would even ask such a thing (as one did when I asked how much fondant she thinks I would need to cover a certain size cake, or when I asked what I would be required to bring with me if I decided to take a class).

all4cake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
all4cake Posted 1 Aug 2007 , 5:04am
post #9 of 39

boards, separator plates, pillars, cutters, luster dust, petal dust, HIGH RATIO SHORTENING!!!, samples(lol...my sweet tooth just struck), fillings....

all4cake Posted 1 Aug 2007 , 5:07am
post #10 of 39

different guage wires...gumpaste flowers just in case time runs short...large quantities of cupcake liners, pan liners...

AnythingSugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AnythingSugar Posted 1 Aug 2007 , 5:08am
post #11 of 39

I am fortunate because I have two locally owned cake shops near me. I get decorating tips, luster dust, Satin Ice fondant (I asked and they carry it now), Pettinice fondant, Americolor, the cake boards are sold individually and less expensive than Michael's, cake boxes because they carry a larger variety of sizes, flavorings like creme bouquet and birthday cake, dragees, sanding sugars, merkens??? wedding white chocolate, cake drums, and all sorts of plastic accessories for cakes (not kits but individual pieces).

The only things I can think of right now that I have wanted that I can't get locally are patchwork cutters and fondant lace molds. (I am sure my list isn't that short lol)

mixinvixen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mixinvixen Posted 1 Aug 2007 , 5:18am
post #12 of 39

i just went today to one of the two that i have somewhat locally, which was about 20 minutes from my house. the other one is in nashville and about 35 minutes from me. it's larger, but further away, so i try to only go there when i need something special or have several things to purchase at the same time.

i needed cake dummies today for the fair competition i'm entering this weekend, and when i called the smaller business was cheaper so i ended up there. i bought 3 dummies, a flag candy mold, some tylose powder, some lorann oil, and some fondant cutters. i keep contemplating, though, on buying some of the non perishable fillings, since the craft stores don't have them available, and it saves me the worry of bacteria as much when i'm decorating.

LittleBigMomma Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LittleBigMomma Posted 1 Aug 2007 , 5:33am
post #13 of 39

Americolor, boxes, drums, boards and board wrap.

I am fortunate to have several choices of local supply shops.

alanahodgson Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
alanahodgson Posted 1 Aug 2007 , 12:59pm
post #14 of 39

I go for... hi ratio shortening , flavorings (lorann oils, creme bouqet, etc) boards and boxes, cookie cutters, gel colors, magic line pans. I wish they had...more fondant supplies-crimpers, impression mats, textured rollers, satin ice in white, sugarpaste flower cutters. I also wish they had clay guns, airbrushes and other specialty supplies like this.

all4cake Posted 1 Aug 2007 , 1:08pm
post #15 of 39

There isn't a local supply store in my area of which I'm aware. I do most of my shopping online. My word! If such a place existed....

There's the chain hobby stores and one office supply place that carries a few odds and ends but nothing significant....a lot of rentals though.

sure would be nice if someone got the umph to put one here or even within a 50 mile radius...

ladefly Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ladefly Posted 1 Aug 2007 , 1:35pm
post #16 of 39

I would LOVE to have a shop around me....although how do you go about finding one. I guess just look in the phonebook huh. That means I have to look in alot of different phonebooks, because there are alot of different counties around me.

tyty Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tyty Posted 1 Aug 2007 , 1:37pm
post #17 of 39

I visit my cake supply store on Saturday or when I take off work. There were 3 diff ones but one closed at the end of July. The main one I visit I buy boxes, boards, oils, plastic containers for cupcakes, hi-ratio shortening, luster dust etc. This one is ok but they don't carry a lot of the molds or newer supplies. To get those items, I have to go to another smaller store that has a smaller inventory, but they do have all the newer cake supplies or they can order them.

What I would like to see more of is molds and cake pans and cookie cutters.

mixinvixen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mixinvixen Posted 1 Aug 2007 , 2:08pm
post #18 of 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by ladefly

I would LOVE to have a shop around me....although how do you go about finding one. I guess just look in the phonebook huh. That means I have to look in alot of different phonebooks, because there are alot of different counties around me.

try citysearch...just go to (your city here)citysearch.com and then you can do a search. i'm on nashvillecitysearch.com all the time.

Hollyanna70 Posted 1 Aug 2007 , 4:39pm
post #19 of 39

I had no clue if there was one near me or not, so I went to the CK website and clicked the link to look for a retailer... well, there wasn't one directly in my area, but a few days later they emailed me and told me of one that sells their products that's about 1/2 hour away, and on my husbands way to work, and the store also delivers, so that's much more convenient than ordering online.

I went to this store and they had almost everything. CK products, plus different brands of fondant satin ice, pettinice, and a few others.. they had almost everything you can use.

so, I guess what I'm trying to say is even if you aren't a big user of CK products, if there's a retailer nearby there's a good chance they also sell items you're interested in.

ladefly Posted 1 Aug 2007 , 6:12pm
post #20 of 39

by CK, you mean country kitchen??

TexasSugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TexasSugar Posted 1 Aug 2007 , 6:14pm
post #21 of 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by i_heart_pastry

So, are you planning to open a shop?

It may be a possiblity!

Where I live there is not a cake supply store with out 2 hours, so I think that it is something that once people learn about it may go over really well. I live in a fairly large city with another one near by. We have several bakeries in the area, so I think that market is covered pretty well already. Plus I'm not really into making wedding cakes.

If this does happen my plan is to have a supply store, with a legal kitchen and a classroom as well. With the kitchen if I wanted to do a few cakes here and there I could. I'm currently an WMI so I can see the benifits of teaching classes in the store as well.

Right now I'm more or less just trying to do some research about what alot of stores carry and what people want from their local cake stores. In the future I will have to visit a few to get a first hand view of them. Of course from there it will be looking into supplies and all that other fun stuff.

If I get lucky enough for this to happen, it probably won't be in the near future, but I'm keeping my fingers and toes crossed for now. icon_smile.gif

Thank you for those that have answered. If you think of anything else please feel free to add them. Or if you have other wants and wishes from your cake store let me know what they are. icon_smile.gif

Your replies are really helping me!

Hollyanna70 Posted 1 Aug 2007 , 6:15pm
post #22 of 39

CK Products is a brand name..

http://ckproducts.com/

On the left side of the page there is a link that says "find a retailer". I used that. Almost all cake supply stores carry some sort of CK product, so there's a good chance if there's a supply store in your area, and they actually go through the company, they will be listed.

Hope this helps,

Holly

bakenboi29 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bakenboi29 Posted 1 Aug 2007 , 6:20pm
post #23 of 39

Here in Baton Rouge, La. We have a place called Party Time which has a wide supply of cake decorating supplies: dragees, high ratio shortening, various flavors like emulsions, tips, fondant supplies, pastry bags, various pans, etc. etc. icon_lol.gif You got the picture. I have to watch myself. I'll keep going and going. Very nice place to shop.

angelas2babies Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
angelas2babies Posted 1 Aug 2007 , 6:21pm
post #24 of 39

I'm glad I saw this thread, because I've been wondering what people go out of their way for as well!

I wish that the local shops here had:
AMERICOLOR
FONDANT
FONDANT CUTTERS/TOOLS
LICENSED CAKE TOPPER KITS

The shops by me do have
LUSTER DUST
OILS
BOARDS
BOXES
CHOCOLATE MELTS
MOLDS

Angie

ladefly Posted 1 Aug 2007 , 6:22pm
post #25 of 39

thank you so much. i feel like a doof. ahh duh what does CK mean. LOL
but thanks again,
mary

Hollyanna70 Posted 1 Aug 2007 , 6:23pm
post #26 of 39

You're very welcome.. and don't feel bad. If I hadn't "accidently" bought some products from them years ago and noticed the label recently, I wouldn't have a clue what it meant either.. heh

**edit** I'm an idiot. I do believe CK does stand for country kitchen, but I've only ever seen it as CK Products. haha So, you were right.. I guess we both were. icon_smile.gif

Katskakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Katskakes Posted 1 Aug 2007 , 6:36pm
post #27 of 39

I'm lucky to have one near work, one near home and one an hour away from home and work, where i used to live. So if i go to visit family it's convenient for me. What i get look for:
Impression mats
Dusts
Americolors set
Americolors markers
Cake Boards
Flavorings
Cake Carrier (like the ones in the supermarket)
Cake boxes
Candy molds
Figurine sets for theme parties
Cake Pans (older, that are not found in Craft stores any longer)
Lustre Spray
Fondant & Gumpaste Tools
F&G cutters (flowers & more)
Already made flowers (mine are lousy)
Pastry filling
Rich's Bettercream (2 of them have! icon_lol.gif )
Fondant
Rolling pins - Textured
Cookie Cutters
Meringue Powder (CK or Ateco)
Pastry Bags (cloth - heavy duty!)
Impression molds for F&G
Books & Mags
Cookie Sheet (professional)
Silpat
Wooden Rolling Pin
Good quality Chocolate
Edible transfers (mostly kiddy ones)
Dragees (sp)
Edible colored Pearls

What i wish they had:
Disposable cutting knives
Magic Line Products (3-4" pans)
Gem cutters (like in Countrykitchensa)
Isomalt!
Pre-made Chocolate Candy Clay

i think there's more, that's all i can think of now.

flowermom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
flowermom Posted 1 Aug 2007 , 6:43pm
post #28 of 39

I am very fortunate to have a very nice cake supply store in our area. I mainly buy my boxes, cake boards and decorating tips. They also have all kinds of other things that you would need to decorate a cake. I wish they would carry Satin Ice, but they only carry Wilton's fondant, so I just make my own MMF. I have purchase other items such as flavorings, sprinkles, and other decorating tools.

They even have cake pans you can rent. I usually go to Micheal's first, that way I use my coupon (they take competitor's coupons, so I always try to have a coupon with me!) and get what I need. I also can ask questions and they are always very helpful! I also have a dozen candy molds, and they carry all kinds! Here is a link if you are in the bay area of CA. http://www.cakeworks.com/

My children did a candy class, and they were so great with the kids! I haven't ever done a cake decorating class there, but I understand that even those classes are really great also.

Happy Baking!

elvisb Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
elvisb Posted 1 Aug 2007 , 6:45pm
post #29 of 39

The only one in my area is Ideal Wedding Supply which is in Sioux Falls, SD, about 1 1/4 from my house. They carry boxes, cardboards in any shape, styro dummies, Americolor, Lusterdust, dragees, plastic deco picks, pans, molds, fondant, all kinds of goodies for bakers, fountain and candleabra rentals, catering equipment rental, cake stands, invitations--pretty much anything you might need for a wedding except the dress and the church! Their prices arent' spectacular--the Wilton stuff is cheaper at Hobby Lobby--but for the stuff you can't buy anywhere else, they have just about anything yu might be looking for.

ladefly Posted 1 Aug 2007 , 6:52pm
post #30 of 39

katskakes,
I see that you are from NJ, I live in Cinnaminson NJ and was wondering if the cake supply places that you go to are closer to me or not.
I know that there is one in North Jersey called Candyland crafts. Is that one that you go to?
Mary

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%