Local Cake Supply Stores...

Decorating By TexasSugar Updated 6 Aug 2007 , 1:11am by angelas2babies

ladefly Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ladefly Posted 1 Aug 2007 , 6:52pm
post #31 of 39

katskakes,
I see that you are from NJ, I live in Cinnaminson NJ and was wondering if the cake supply places that you go to are closer to me or not.
I know that there is one in North Jersey called Candyland crafts. Is that one that you go to?
Mary

Katskakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Katskakes Posted 1 Aug 2007 , 11:09pm
post #32 of 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by ladefly

katskakes,
I see that you are from NJ, I live in Cinnaminson NJ and was wondering if the cake supply places that you go to are closer to me or not.
I know that there is one in North Jersey called Candyland crafts. Is that one that you go to?
Mary

Hi Mary,

I'm not too familiar with places in NJ...so i'm not sure where you are at. There is another store calles Sweet & Fancy in Cranford, NJ.
I go mostly to Candyland crafts, NYCake (in manhattan, nyc next to work) and another place called JB Prince for just a few things. Like cake pans and cookie tray/pan. I also go to Kerekes in brooklyn, NY (bakedeco.com)

ladefly Posted 2 Aug 2007 , 1:28am
post #33 of 39

yep, thats a little far up there. lol I live across the bridge from philadelphia. o well. i will try in phila for some places.
thanks anyway !!!

baka4lyfe20 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
baka4lyfe20 Posted 2 Aug 2007 , 2:52am
post #34 of 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by MichelleM77

It's also nice to have a professional cake person so that I can ask all of my I'm-a-newbie-and-don't-know-anything questions! icon_smile.gif

I soooo agree!!!! It's so much better to go to a place where the people who work there are actually passionate about what they do, know what they're doing, and can help you instead of a bunch of teenagers getting paid a couple $$ an hours and would rather be anywhere else!!!

TexasSugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TexasSugar Posted 2 Aug 2007 , 4:13am
post #35 of 39

I want to say thank you agian to those that have replied. I have made a list of what everyone said, it helps so much.

Some of the comments got me thinking as well about what other things can be offered besides just products, like classes. Is there any other things (besides products) your cake store could offer you that you would want or enjoy?

AnythingSugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AnythingSugar Posted 2 Aug 2007 , 4:51am
post #36 of 39

Well for me, I am not in business but only do cakes for personal things like family and friends. I have taken classes but I would love to learn some of the "out of the ordinary" things like carving cakes and making topsy turvy cakes.

I think it would be great to make an appointment and have some help making a special cake.

Honeydukes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Honeydukes Posted 2 Aug 2007 , 10:54pm
post #37 of 39

One of the classes offered locally is "Tiered Party and Wedding cakes." I think it includes display, delivery and they also discuss how to price cakes. I've not taken it because the last few times I tried it was full.

I would like to see an adult Gingerbread house class. Here they offer "family" classes, which is fine. But it's hard to really learn about construction and pattern making when all everyone there wants is to pile on candy. icon_rolleyes.gif

ladefly Posted 3 Aug 2007 , 1:15pm
post #38 of 39

not to hijack the thread again.... but anyone know of any local supply stores in and around either South Jersey or Philadelphia, i tried city search, found a couple but when I called they said that they don't have any supplies or not alot... etc.
let me know, please. !!!!!
TIA Mary

angelas2babies Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
angelas2babies Posted 6 Aug 2007 , 1:11am
post #39 of 39

I definitely love the idea of offering classes. Specific technique classes like particular gumpaste flowers, or purse cakes, or using wires in cake design. Endless possibilities.

Maybe even candy classes and using chocolate molds. A local candy and shop has alot of business from their candy molds. Even those oreo molds that are so popular as a sale or as molds.

www.spinningleaf.com

Offering ready-made gumpaste flowers for sale would be a great option, too.

Having cake plateaus or other various rentals available might help local decorators, too.

Just some thoughts off the top of my head. I would love to have a shop one day!

Good luck with everything.
Angie

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%