Can't Get Candy Melts!!

Baking By leni Updated 1 Aug 2007 , 12:43pm by GeminiRJ

leni Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leni Posted 31 Jul 2007 , 9:50pm
post #1 of 7

I'm in the UK and can't get any wilton candy melts apart from on ebay and then the cost will be $13 for a 14oz bag, I'm not sure how many oreo cookies this will do.

I've just ordered 4 molds after months of debating, can anyone recommend an alternative chocolate that doesn't need tempering?

6 replies
GeminiRJ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
GeminiRJ Posted 31 Jul 2007 , 11:08pm
post #2 of 7

Many people on the site use chocolate almond bark. You can buy it in the grocery store along with the chocolate chips. I usually use the CandyMelts mixed with chocolate chips to give it a richer, smoother feel and taste. You could do the same with the chocolate bark. (I use 2 cups of the melts with 1 cup of the chips. No need to temper when mixing the two.)

MichelleM77 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MichelleM77 Posted 31 Jul 2007 , 11:29pm
post #3 of 7

You aren't missing anything. icon_smile.gif I personally find candy melts to be a bit icky.

leily Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leily Posted 1 Aug 2007 , 4:55am
post #4 of 7

Check out www.kitchenkrafts.com they have merken's chocolate. Some needs to be tempered and they have quite a variety that does Not need to be tempered.

HTH

snowshoe1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
snowshoe1 Posted 1 Aug 2007 , 12:27pm
post #5 of 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeminiRJ

Many people on the site use chocolate almond bark. You can buy it in the grocery store along with the chocolate chips. I usually use the CandyMelts mixed with chocolate chips to give it a richer, smoother feel and taste. You could do the same with the chocolate bark. (I use 2 cups of the melts with 1 cup of the chips. No need to temper when mixing the two.)

Never done this before but it sounds like I should try it. Do you find the chocolate sets better when you do this; often I find the candy melts don't hold up as well as chips.

ladefly Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ladefly Posted 1 Aug 2007 , 12:37pm
post #6 of 7

If you want the candy melts.... I can probably mail them to you...
PM me if you want to work out details.
Mary

GeminiRJ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
GeminiRJ Posted 1 Aug 2007 , 12:43pm
post #7 of 7

The chocolate sets up pretty good. I always keep my chocolate in the fridge, so it never sits out to get very soft!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%