Seriously Need Help Caterer/ Bridzilla!!! I Feel Stupid!!!

Business By HammIamm Updated 31 Jul 2007 , 10:35pm by mommachris

HammIamm Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
HammIamm Posted 31 Jul 2007 , 8:14pm
post #1 of 22

alright.. bride wants to get wedding cake, favours and tortes from me. FINE.
all my prices i gave her were just for the items, not for any service....
i just talked to the carterer... she had no plans to cut the cake, no plans, to serve the cake, no plans on bring utensils for the tortes, no plans for cleaning up the "sweet table" after words.
well, nothing has been discussed between the bride an myself about me doing this either. my prices are a steal as it is...i did not have any plans to stick around the hall and clean up and what not, replenish.
i am going to be talking to the bride tomorrow. i know she's gonna get all Bridezilla on me. I am not setup like a caterer and its not like i have 10 pie lifters and such to be supplying to serve the desserts, right???

and now i have NO idea how to setup this "sweet table" should i assume that this table will already by decorated with frills and lights and what not???

i am in total panic about this. all i state is that set-up and delivery f the wedding cake is free... fine i want to setup the sweet table to have everything to my liking, but i'm not going to hang around to clean up and to the serve the cake... right???

please help!!!!

21 replies
emmascakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
emmascakes Posted 31 Jul 2007 , 8:21pm
post #2 of 22

You need to speak to the bride. I think it's different in the US. In the UK the cake decorator is NEVER expected to cut or serve the cake, we drop it off and go - nothing more. It seems like in the US the cake decorators sometimes hang about to serve - I think that's like expecting an artist to pour wine at their own gallery opening. You're an artist not a waitress. She's made a mistake by assuming you are doing more than the cake - that's her problem not yours. Be firm but polite. I wouldn't even bring it up actually, I'd drop the cake and skidaddle.

JanH Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JanH Posted 31 Jul 2007 , 8:24pm
post #3 of 22

Excuse me, but if the bride has a caterer (who felt free to dump on you that she wasn't providing the services mentioned) why do you feel it's your responsibility.

If you have a contract (or anything in writing) with the bride which details that you are responsible only for delivery and set-up of your cakes then THIS IS NOT YOUR PROBLEM.

Do Not Under Any Circumstances Volunteer to do these things FOR FREE. (In fact, since the bride didn't mention this to YOU, she's obviously not expecting this.)

I'm sure this is something the bride and the caterer can work out for an additional fee.

'Cause for me, it sure doesn't fall under the baker/decorator job description!

(Think Colette Peters, do you think she'd be agonizing over whether or not to cut the cake and clean up.....)

I would however, provide a cake cutting guide and recommend using a sharp serrated knife to cut the cake/s.

HTH

Relznik Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Relznik Posted 31 Jul 2007 , 8:27pm
post #4 of 22

I'm also based in the UK, so I don't know if it's different in the US, but I haven't done anything more than deliver the cake, set it on the table (which has already been set up by the caterer/venue) and then leave.

You just need to explain that you are the cake decorator. Your prices were to make (and deliver???) the cakes, but that is all.

Good luck.

spongemomsweatpants Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
spongemomsweatpants Posted 31 Jul 2007 , 8:28pm
post #5 of 22

RIGHT!! thumbs_up.gif And stick to your guns. You were hired to make the cake and goodies, deliver said cake and goodies and set up said cake and goodies. It is NOT your responsibility to decorate the table, supply cutting devices and/ or plates, napkins and whatnot. Nor is it your responsibility to make sure that this cake is served and goodies replenished. Your job is finished when you put the goodies on the table. DO NOT Offer to do these things for any price, this is her problem and she needs to work it out with the caterer. I would not call the caterer and try to work it out, that is HER job. I will say that one more time SHE needs to work it out with the caterer, just like SHE needs to work out the floral arrangements for the goodie table with the florist. This is HER event and thus HER problem, you are NOT the wedding coordinator. If she gets all bridezilla on you tell her to take a hike.

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 31 Jul 2007 , 8:28pm
post #6 of 22

Jan is right.....it's NOT your problem. Stop worring about it. Just tell the bride when you talk to her that nothing in your agreement is about a 'sweet table' or you serving anything

mpaigew Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mpaigew Posted 31 Jul 2007 , 8:29pm
post #7 of 22

I really don't think that serving and such is your problem to worry about, ya know?? I think the caterer is at fault. If I were you, I get my price in mind to do the serving and clean up, and then kindly speak with the potential bridezilla. I would tell her that you spoke with the caterer and were surprised to learn that they did not have anyone to serve at the dessert table. Tell her that this is normally not a service that you offer, but if she would like, you would be able to do it for X amount of dollars.

If you do not want to do the dessert table, I would still speak to the bride and tell her she should speak with the caterer to make arrangements.

I don't think you should feel bad and give in and do it if you don't want to.

ccr03 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ccr03 Posted 31 Jul 2007 , 8:29pm
post #8 of 22

I'm with Emma. Coming from a Hispanic background and having gone to countless weddings and quinceaneras here in the U.S. the cake is has always been just dropped off and nothing more. For my sister's wedding we cut the cake with the knife and server we bought on plates we bought. Not that we are cheap, but that's the only thing we knew. And even when I get married (sometime in the distant future), I'll expect I'll do the same.

Beckalita Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Beckalita Posted 31 Jul 2007 , 8:30pm
post #9 of 22

Don't feel stupid. Unless you were told otherwise when working up the quote for this bride, you had no way of knowing she wanted cutting or clean-up service. I would not worry about it, this is a problem the bride needs to work out with her caterer. Most cake decorators I know simply deliver & set-up, they do not hang around to serve and clean up. (And unless told otherwise, I would assume that someone else is decorating the cake or sweets table. If she wants you to do that, then charge her extra.)

terrylee Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
terrylee Posted 31 Jul 2007 , 8:34pm
post #10 of 22

I HAVE ONLY BEEN ASKED ONE TIME TO CUT THE CAKE......AND IT WAS A FAMILY WEDDING....ALL THE CATERERS THAT I HAVE BEEN AROUND - CAKE CUTTING IS PART OF THE WHOLE PACKAGE..... THE CATERER SHOULD HAVE DISCUSSED WITH THE BRIDE WHAT THEIR PACKAGE INCLUDED.....AND EXCLUDED.....

GIVE HER A PRICE FOR YOUR TIME AND ANY MATERIALS THAT YOU MAY NEED, SHOULD YOU DECIDE TO HELP HER OUT...... BUT .I WOULD SAY NO PERSONALLY...... IT IS NOT YOUR RESPONSIBILITY

Hollyanna70 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Hollyanna70 Posted 31 Jul 2007 , 8:36pm
post #11 of 22

I've never known a cake decorator in the states to have to do that either. I've been in 8 weddings, counting my own, and attended even more, and the cake was always served by the caterer, if there is one.. or by whichever family members were doing the serving of the food and such. Clean up was done by whomever did all the rest.. Then the family, friends, or whomever was in charge of making sure all rental equipment was sent back to the right places, would also make sure the decorator got back his/her boards, stands, and whatever else they had brought to set up.

Granted, a lot of the weddings I've been to, or in, were simple and didn't have caterers, just family members and friends, but unless I was the one making the cake it was ordered from somewhere else and the cake decorator never did more than set it up, and make sure all the decorations on the cake were in place. The family, or whomever they had decorating the reception area, were the ones to make sure the table was also decorated, before or after the cake had been placed.

I think you should just explain to her it is the caterer's job to serve the cake, and whomever cleans up the reception hall and dishes, is also supposed to be the one to clean up the "sweet table". If she insists you have to do it, then explain it will be an additional fee for your time and services, and whatever equipment is needed will have to be provided by her. (plates, serving knives, etc.) It is very unusual for the cake artist to have to do such things. That is, if you actually want to. I say don't do anything you don't want to do. I would only do such a thing for a family member or friend.

(again, this is only in my own experience)

Hope this helps,

Holly

***edit*** I'm sorry I misspoke, and didn't mean to offend anyone by saying it's the caterer's job. I just meant in my experience it has been. That isn't to say they weren't compensated for it, just how that was pre-arranged, and it was not left to the cake decorator to do so. I hope that made more sense.

JanH Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JanH Posted 31 Jul 2007 , 8:40pm
post #12 of 22

You know, I just can't wait to see what indydebi has to say about this caterer? icon_eek.gif

Going to ask her to join this discussion.... judge.gif

spongemomsweatpants Posted 31 Jul 2007 , 8:43pm
post #13 of 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by JanH

You know, I just can't wait to see what indydebi has to say about this caterer? icon_eek.gif

Going to ask her to join this discussion.... judge.gif

LOL I was thinking the same way. I CAN NOT WAIT to see what she says about all of this icon_wink.gif

Hollyanna70 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Hollyanna70 Posted 31 Jul 2007 , 8:44pm
post #14 of 22

I'm still fairly new here, but I take it she is a caterer?

(sorry if that's a stupid question) icon_redface.gif

marthajo1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
marthajo1 Posted 31 Jul 2007 , 8:45pm
post #15 of 22

I would let the bride know that the caterer is not expecting to this. something along the lines of "The caterer mentioned they are not serving the cake and I wanted to give you a few tips for when YOU cut and serve the cake"

tiptop57 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tiptop57 Posted 31 Jul 2007 , 8:46pm
post #16 of 22

emmascakes wrote:

Quote:
Quote:

I think that's like expecting an artist to pour wine at their own gallery opening. You're an artist not a waitress.

Now that is funny to me, since I have a cake as an art piece in an art show and during the opening I had a glass of wine and if I had to cut the cake and pour the wine I would have cried all the way home...... icon_wink.gif

spongemomsweatpants Posted 31 Jul 2007 , 8:50pm
post #17 of 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hollyanna70

I'm still fairly new here, but I take it she is a caterer?

(sorry if that's a stupid question) icon_redface.gif

yes she is THE catereer as well as a cake decorator/ baker /designer. She is also married to a stand up commeidan who gets his material from her. She rocks and she does NOT belive in beating around the bush. I just adore her... can you tell? lol

marthajo1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
marthajo1 Posted 31 Jul 2007 , 8:56pm
post #18 of 22

Debi also has the most amzing advice and "verbage"!

melysa Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
melysa Posted 31 Jul 2007 , 9:00pm
post #19 of 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by marthajo1

I would let the bride know that the caterer is not expecting to this. something along the lines of "The caterer mentioned they are not serving the cake and I wanted to give you a few tips for when YOU cut and serve the cake"

i think that is the perfect solution. thumbs_up.gif

cakes-r-us Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakes-r-us Posted 31 Jul 2007 , 9:16pm
post #20 of 22

Yeah, as I read this, I am thinking now where is Indydebi, I know she can put this caterer in his/her place, or offer some good gem for the bride.

Yep, she's amazing.

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 31 Jul 2007 , 10:21pm
post #21 of 22

As a cake decorator and a caterer.....

For our UK friends, it's pretty normal for the cake to be just dropped off, like you do. I am one of a few that offer the service of cutting the cake if they purchase the package that includes that service. Otherwise, my invoice states that the a la carte price includes cake, delivery and set-up. Period.

As the caterer, I would tell brides that they should NOT assume that I am cutting your cake and working your dessert table without proper compensation. I think from reading the above posts, it's possibly being assumed that "oh, the caterer always does that!" Uh..... no she doesn't. She does that when she is being compensated for the labor and the time to do so.

I did not make the cake. I did not make the dessert table. I am not making any money on these items. Do not assume that I will pay my staff, out of my pocket, to handle these things for you. Also, when my staff handles it, it is sometimes assumed that I made them, ergo if someone keels over with food poisoning from your cream cheese puffs, *I* am the one who will get sued over it. I do not touch other people's food/dessert/cake without prior arrangement and compensation. And I sure as hell won't pay my staff to clean up other people's food items! I don't know what your food handling procedures are and I am not putting out food that I don't know has been prepared safe and proper.

By the time the bride has arrived at her reception, my crew and I have already put in an 8 hour or more day and we have at least 5 more hours in front of us. I am NOT working any more than I have to without proper compensation.

Sounds like this bride is doing a lot of assuming without any confirming. Which makes her an average bride ...... "oh it's just a wedding! ANYBODY can plan one of those!" She's been to weddings where she saw people serving food so she assumes the food fairies just appear and do it.

For my fellow CC'ers, I would suggest a standard question when you are taking the order: Who is cutting/serving your cake? Have they ever cut a cake before? This clearly plants it in the bride's mind that she needs to handle this. Do ME a favor..... when she says "oh the caterer is doing that!", ask her "Does the caterer KNOW that?"

On my paperwork that I send to the bride, It is clearly spelled out for our buffet and cake packages, "Price includes delivery, set up, tablecloth/skirting for the food tables, staff to service the buffet/cake, clean up and tear down of our food table area." Notice it says OUR food table area.

I have a section of "Bride is responsible for ....." This lists out things she is responsible for such as "Bride provides two 8-ft banquet tables for buffet." For my a la carte cake orders, "Bride is responsible for providing plates, forks, napkins, table linens and arranging cake cutting service." Flat out. Black and White. In writing.

For further education. there is a difference between an on-site caterer and an off-site caterer.

When the reception is at a hotel, the hotel has it's own kitchen and catering staff on-site. When the bride "forgets' to provide plates for the cake, it's no big deal for the on-site catering staff to walk into their kitchen and pull out 100 plates from their storage area,although don't be surprised when the hotel expects to be compensated to pay the dishwasher after the event is over. When the bride books the reception room, it's totally possible that these extra services are included in the room rental agreement since everything is right there. The in-house cleaning service usually clears all the tables at the end of the night since their staff is right there .... it's their house, they clean it up.

An off-site caterer is me. I have my own kitchen and everything is transported to the reception. If you order food for 100, I'm bringing 125 plates. If you have 170 people show up, I don't keep an extra 50 plates IN MY VAN!!!! to go get. Likewise I dont' carry an extra 100 cake plates IN MY VAN just in case the bride is a moron. Everything is NOT "right there" so whatever is needed must be discussed and arranged to be brought ahead of time. As an off-site caterer, I am the first vendor to be gone ... I am not there "anyway" at the end of the night to clear off tables and clean the room. It's not my house. I'm not a cleaning service. This should be arranged with the facility.

(this is why I get really ticked at comments about cake prices at a restaurant vs. our prices "....because the restaurant provides the plate, fork, and someone to cut the cake and bring it to you." Sure they do! It's all right there on site! I have to load the plate, unload the plate, do everything the restaurant does, load the plate into my van, unload the plate at my kitchen, THEN wash and put it away! The restaurant has it WAY easier and they are charging more for it!! icon_mad.gif But I digress.....)

So how to handle this bride......
Contact her and tell her that you have been informed that she is under the impression you are servicing the cake/dessert table and this service is not included in your price, so she needs to make arrangements to be sure this is taken care of.....either by paying you to handle it, paying the caterer to handle it, or paying her niece to handle it. It is helpful if what you provide was included in the paperwork to her, so you can refer her to it during the conversation.

Sorry this got so long ...... but come on, you guys didn't expect any less, did ya? icon_cool.gificon_lol.gif

mommachris Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mommachris Posted 31 Jul 2007 , 10:35pm
post #22 of 22

nope, you gave it exactly what we have come to expect from you, a clear answer to an honest question taking in to consideration all sides and a bit of humor too.

just debi being debi

in awe of your insight and willingness to share with the rest of us,
mommachris

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%