Cake Voucher/certificate For Raffle??

Decorating By GolfAddict Updated 28 Sep 2006 , 12:22pm by emf7701

GolfAddict Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
GolfAddict Posted 25 Sep 2006 , 6:19pm
post #1 of 23

I have a friend who has asked me to provide a voucher or some kind of certificate for a cake. It is for a raffle/fundraiser for her daughters' dance school. It will be redeemable in the future.

Has anybody ever "donated" a cake? Does anybody have an example of something like this?

Thanks a bunch.

22 replies
notjustcake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
notjustcake Posted 25 Sep 2006 , 6:23pm
post #2 of 23

I have heard of these sort of stuff before I suggest you make it yourself the certificate and add some restirctions to it I think people can suddenly want very elaborate cakes when they don't have to pay for them for example say for a cake valued up to a certain amount. Good Luck

FunCakesVT Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FunCakesVT Posted 25 Sep 2006 , 6:26pm
post #3 of 23

I have done this and can send you language from home...I'll make a note to do so...

Cookie_Brookie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cookie_Brookie Posted 25 Sep 2006 , 6:26pm
post #4 of 23

I have donated cakes for a benefit auction before, but never a voucher. I just did an 8 in round cake and put a few decorations on it. My only problem was I had to cover it in saran wrap so some of the drop flowers were a little smooshed. I will definatly do a voucher next time. I would probably specify a size, whether or not a filling is included and what kind of decorations will be used in smaller print. Good Luck!

tichay Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tichay Posted 25 Sep 2006 , 6:29pm
post #5 of 23

We have a similar "raffle" at my office ... Those who participate sign up for what they are willing to bake, and the director's office creates 1/2 page "tickets" that the buyer uses to redeem their purchase. Those baking the goodies specify up front what they are "selling"; I haven't heard of anyone having any issues with the redemption process ???

Hope this helps.

msauer Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
msauer Posted 25 Sep 2006 , 6:36pm
post #6 of 23

I have done gift certificates in the past for cupcakes. One free dozen per certificate (to help drum up some business). Just made a certificate in MS Word.

I have also been asked to donate another cake for a fundraiser for Children's Hospital. I am working on how to go about doing this since (like you) it will be for an actual CAKE. A lot of people don't understand the "value" of a cake bc they have no idea how much time goes into a custom cake or how much they could end up costing.

I am going to be very specific about this cake on the certificate. Actual # of servings, fillings I am willing to offer, price for cake if it were being purchased, size, etc. I was thinking about even doing a dummy cake so there are no surprises.

Not sure if I've helped, but good luck!!!

-Michelle

KHalstead Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KHalstead Posted 25 Sep 2006 , 6:36pm
post #7 of 23

I would do the voucher for a cake up to a certain $ amount........that way you don't get duped into making a wedding cake for free LOL can you imagine???

birdgirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
birdgirl Posted 25 Sep 2006 , 6:39pm
post #8 of 23

Put a dollar amount on it or limit it to a certain size like an 8" or 9" two layer cake. That will limit what people think they will get that way there are no missunderstandings.

thecakemaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
thecakemaker Posted 25 Sep 2006 , 6:53pm
post #9 of 23

I donated a "cake for a future date" for a silent auction at my son's elementary school last year. I'll try to attach it here. It worked out really well. I had a display of some of my cake pictures there for them to look at. The artwork was "borrowed" off of the schools website.
LL
LL

thecakemaker Posted 25 Sep 2006 , 6:55pm
post #10 of 23

Oops! It added it twice! Anyway - it actually read ~

"Cake Coupon

Good for ONE SPECIAL OCCASION CAKE

Basic decorations in buttercream icing on vanilla, chocolate,
yellow or strawberry cake to serve approximately 20 people  

Edible images or fondant available at an additional charge

Kindly allow two weeks notice"

frankandcathy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
frankandcathy Posted 25 Sep 2006 , 6:56pm
post #11 of 23

I do this as well. I always limit the value to a certain amount by saying, Good for One Party Cake not to exceed $--------.

~C

GolfAddict Posted 25 Sep 2006 , 7:29pm
post #12 of 23

Here is another problem...

I'm not sure what the value would be. I really do not know how much it costs to make my cakes. I don't keep track because (1) they have always been for family and close friends, (2) I have never charged anyone (except one person who was a coworker and I gave her a big break), and (3) I don't really want to know how much I spend on cake supplies. Any suggestions on how much a 10" round with basic buttercream icing and decorations would cost?

This is what I came up with which I copied - THANKS A BUNCH THECAKEMAKER. Anybody have suggestions of other things to add?

CAKE VOUCHER

Good for ONE SPECIAL OCCASION CAKE

One 10 round cake with basic decorations in buttercream icing on vanilla or chocolate cake

Serves approximately 25 people

To redeem call Bianca Foller at 817-658-1185

Kindly allow three weeks notice

thecakemaker Posted 25 Sep 2006 , 8:04pm
post #13 of 23

Sounds good to me! Do they need a value or are they just looking for something to put on the item as "retail value" to give bidders an idea? Go on-line and check out a few websites from places in your area for prices. Also, include pictures of some of your cakes so people can see what you can do!

Debbie

GolfAddict Posted 25 Sep 2006 , 8:16pm
post #14 of 23

Good idea. They probably do just want a retail value.

Thanks guys.

Derby Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Derby Posted 26 Sep 2006 , 1:48am
post #15 of 23

I think that it's a great idea, but I would definitely post a maximum value.

HMMMMM.......gift certificates for cakes would be a good Christmas gift idea.

MissBaritone Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MissBaritone Posted 26 Sep 2006 , 6:51am
post #16 of 23

I always put a value on the certificate.

Ursula40 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Ursula40 Posted 26 Sep 2006 , 9:03am
post #17 of 23

When I did one I made sure, that the following was included

1. Put a value on it, based on your prices
2. Date subject to availability, order at least one month in advance, people usually know, when they have a birthday coming up
3. Delivery NOT included
4. Put in a use by date, when I did it it was 9 mnths
5 Voucher cannot be redeemed for cash

m0use Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
m0use Posted 26 Sep 2006 , 6:10pm
post #18 of 23

I just created one and will be creating another one for my son's school fundraiser.
It states:
The winner of this certificate is entitled to one 8 round 2 layer cake.

Choose A Flavor: White Chocolate Marble (circle one)

Choose A Filling: Vanilla Pudding Chocolate Pudding Strawberry (circle one)

Choose Frosting Flavor: Regular Buttercream Chocolate Buttercream (circle one)

Inserted Phone# and work email address
LL

FunCakesVT Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FunCakesVT Posted 26 Sep 2006 , 8:49pm
post #19 of 23

OK, sorry I did not get to this last night, but I print certificates in Print Shop (That's what I have for software)...the language I use is:

Gift Certificate

This certificate entitles you to a custom-designed cake for your event or special occasion.

(I insert a tag line here for fun and creativity)

Value up to $65.00
(Sorry, specialty expenses additional)

To:                 

Benefit:               

My name (note: and signature is above)
My business name
Phone number

I do not include an expiration date because our state does not abide by them, and I do not really care as long as the customer comes to me...

Good luck!

mariecar6 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mariecar6 Posted 27 Sep 2006 , 4:32am
post #20 of 23

Golf Addict:
I charge $35.00 for a 10x3" cake. Then again, I bake from scratch so I don't know if you do. Using a boxed mix might change the price.
I always put an expiration date on my vouchers. It would be a good idea to put restrictions, as some suggested. That way , you won't find yourself having to deliver a cake or having to include a character on your cake. People do try to get away with that stuff!
Marie

Schmoop Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Schmoop Posted 27 Sep 2006 , 4:49am
post #21 of 23

I have donated to several auctions, here is what was on the voucher for the last one...this was a very large Red Cross event...

-3 - 9 inch, 2 layer cakes (serves 18 - 20)
-Valued at $40 each
-Expiration is 1 year from date of purchase
-One week notice please
-Select from cake, filling and icing flavors listed below
-Decorated specifically for your occassion (One of a kind cake can be
designed with ideas or decorate to specific requests)
-Decorations are all edible and handmade using Buttercream, Royal
Icing, chocolate or fondant.

Contact number

Can be used for any occasion, such as:
-Birthdays
-Showers
-Dinner parties
-Family Get-togethers
-Anniversaries
-Retirements
-Easter
-New Years
-Valentines

Cake Flavors
-French Vanilla
-Chocolate
-White
-Yellow
-Lemon
-Carrot
-Spice

Fillings
-Buttercream
-Chocolate Buttercream
-Cream Cheese
-White Chocolate
-Raspberry
-Strawberry
-Bavarian Cream

Icings
(all Butterceam icings are made with 100% real butter, no
shortening added)

-Buttercream
-Chocolate Buttercream
-Lemon Buttercream

mxpark Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mxpark Posted 27 Sep 2006 , 5:09am
post #22 of 23

ooh this is great! i was just talking about this with my mom. my little brothers' annual school fall festival (their biggest fundraiser) is coming up and i was thinking of donating. it was either going to be this or some cakes for the cake walk. i think i may do both just do strum up some business. business for my husband has come to a screeching halt and we desperately need the extra money.

emf7701 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
emf7701 Posted 28 Sep 2006 , 12:22pm
post #23 of 23

hey golfaddict~

i make 2 layer 10" rounds quite a bit and i currently charge $25 for them, which probably isn't enough. i'm upping my price to $30 at the start of 2007, which probably still isn't enough. lol most of the cakes i make are for friends at church, so i'd feel really bad charging them a ton. hth.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%