Have You Gained Weight?

Decorating By AnneZA Updated 2 Aug 2007 , 3:20am by iramirez94

AnneZA Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AnneZA Posted 30 Jul 2007 , 4:51pm
post #1 of 41

I'm new to cake decorating, because I've been avoiding it for years. Cake is not a food to me, it's a religion. I adore it as much as a heroine addict loves a fix. I've finally relented, and decided to go head first into cake decorating. I just assume I'll gain 50 lbs. the first month or so.

Does anyone else have this problem?
Does working with cake all day cause you to become immune to it's fabulous flavor?
Have you gained weight since living with cakes? Have you been able to maintain your normal weight? If so, I need tips!

Anne

40 replies
peytonsmommy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
peytonsmommy Posted 30 Jul 2007 , 5:05pm
post #2 of 41

I've gained weight, but it's from being too darn busy to squeeze in my normal run and any other exercise. I like cake, but after seeing it on a daily basis for weeks on end, i'm not so into it anymore. I might take a bite or two to make sure it tastes okay but I don't eat a whole piece every time I make a cake.

leily Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leily Posted 30 Jul 2007 , 5:07pm
post #3 of 41

I actually lost weight when I started baking and decorating at home. I have since gaines more but it has nothing to do with the baking and decorating. Working around the cake/icing/cookies all the time I don't eat them very often, and if I do it is a slice of cake or just a cookie or two. Granted I do have a couple of down falls (PB cookies) but for the most part I don't even eat my own cakes at parties I take them too.

Shayenne Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Shayenne Posted 30 Jul 2007 , 7:14pm
post #4 of 41

Well I gained 20 pounds since I start a pastry course but I'm working on it!!!

sweetviolent Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetviolent Posted 30 Jul 2007 , 7:21pm
post #5 of 41

omg I am soooo sugar addicted- the bc kills me to much is not to much arrgggg

shoup_family Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
shoup_family Posted 30 Jul 2007 , 7:27pm
post #6 of 41

YES!!!! icon_cry.gif (I'm not confessing any numbers)

Chewing gum helps a lot.

DCHall Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DCHall Posted 30 Jul 2007 , 7:28pm
post #7 of 41

I have the bad habit of licking spoons when I bake (not while baking, but when I am done before washing them!). I always have to "taste test" my work. I am trying to break the habit so I can lose the rest of the "baby weight" that really had nothing to do with my baby ( I just ate too much!). Hahaha.

Ironbaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Ironbaker Posted 30 Jul 2007 , 7:28pm
post #8 of 41

I love cake too (not icing) but I keep in mind, "this isn't for me". lol I don't have cake just bakes and sitting around the house waiting to be eaten. I taste the scraps to make sure everything's OK and may have a small slice if I'm going to be where the cake is, but that's it. I don't ever make a cake just for myself....except for my birthday. icon_smile.gif

So, no, I haven't gained and I've been going at it for the past 4 years or so, although, it's still just a hobby right now.

springlakecake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
springlakecake Posted 30 Jul 2007 , 7:35pm
post #9 of 41

yes, I believe I have...but I don't know if it is all from the cake. Let's just say I have had some trouble taking off 15 pounds or so since my youngest was born (now turning 2) Anyway I took up cake decorating about 1.5 years ago and it certainly doesnt help me to LOSE any weight.

We have a club in the lounge called "putting down the cake club" that is our little weight loss support group, anyone is welcome to join! We set weekly goals and have weigh ins on Thursdays. We have a weekly cheerleader that tries to keep everyone motivated and come up with some fun challenges. It is a very supportive group of gals!

springlakecake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
springlakecake Posted 30 Jul 2007 , 7:35pm
post #10 of 41

yes, I believe I have...but I don't know if it is all from the cake. Let's just say I have had some trouble taking off 15 pounds or so since my youngest was born (now turning 2) Anyway I took up cake decorating about 1.5 years ago and it certainly doesnt help me to LOSE any weight.

We have a club in the lounge called "putting down the cake club" that is our little weight loss support group, anyone is welcome to join! We set weekly goals and have weigh ins on Thursdays. We have a weekly cheerleader that tries to keep everyone motivated and come up with some fun challenges. It is a very supportive group of gals!

teenteen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
teenteen Posted 30 Jul 2007 , 7:42pm
post #11 of 41

It took me a year to gain 40lbs. since I started doing desserts. I attribute it to my schedule (sometimes, I am up reaallllly late baking) and the added sugar to my diet. (I love cake!) Excercise is going to be the key. Calories in, calories out.

Good Luck,
Tina icon_biggrin.gif

barbydoll8 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
barbydoll8 Posted 30 Jul 2007 , 7:43pm
post #12 of 41

Yes, 5 pounds in a year and half. Lost almost all of it. I think it was from just tasting and over eating though. I've scaled back on other items I eat so I don't feel guilty about tasting the scraps or the icing before I proceed. I don't make cakes every week though since it's more of a side thing for me.

klynne Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
klynne Posted 30 Jul 2007 , 7:43pm
post #13 of 41

No I havent gained weight. Actually Ive lost 28lbs,...lol,,,I really cant stand cake or icing anymore. I rarely even taste mine, but I do ask everyone else if it tastes ok.

tonedna Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tonedna Posted 30 Jul 2007 , 7:46pm
post #14 of 41

I'VE WORKED DECORATING CAKES FOR AROUND 5 YEARS AND IS AMAZING TO ME HOW I STILL CRAVE TO EAT CAKE...i DON'T GET TIRED OF IT...WHEN IS GOING TO SUBSIDE...MAYBE NEVER...i SAY LET'S GOT TO THE GYM SO WE CAN HAVE MORE CAKE...ANYWAY I NEED THE STRENGHT TO LIFT THOSE WEDDING CAKES

www.orlandocustomcakes.com

revel Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
revel Posted 30 Jul 2007 , 8:20pm
post #15 of 41

Yes i'm guilty of gaining weight! It's either the cake or because i'm a newlywed.(Honestly i think it's an allergy to cake...it makes me swell really bad!..lol)

peacockplace Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
peacockplace Posted 30 Jul 2007 , 9:15pm
post #16 of 41

Yep icon_redface.gif

Cake is in my head all the time. I dream about it, I read about it, and too often... I eat it too! It is my passion. In my experience you don't get immune. You have to taste. I'm constantly trying new things, pouring over recipes and dreaming of making frosting when I'm not in the kitchen. I gained about ten pounds when this cake thing started, but now I'm pretty much back to normal. You just have to be consious of how much you taste. Also, a silly trick I learned is to wear my teeth whitening trays while I'm decorating. It keeps scraps and leftovers out of my mouth. And I have prettier teeth too. icon_biggrin.gif

susies1955 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
susies1955 Posted 30 Jul 2007 , 9:29pm
post #17 of 41

I just made my first practice cake yesterday and spent the day playing with making icing, and using a decorator bag and different tips. It looked awful but I learned some things. LOL............I have ate a lot of it. OH NO!
I've always been ANAL about staying around high school weight and I'm wondering if this is a hobby that I will curse someday. icon_smile.gif
I hope I get sick of the taste very soon.
LOL
Susie

mbelgard Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mbelgard Posted 30 Jul 2007 , 9:34pm
post #18 of 41

I haven't, I'm actually down a size in the last 6 months and that's only a size off what I'd like. I've been making lots of cookies because I don't like sugar cookies but I love to decorate them. icon_twisted.gif

CakesBySandy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakesBySandy Posted 30 Jul 2007 , 9:43pm
post #19 of 41

I have been working with cake for about three years and haven't gained any weight but the funny thing about it...my dryer is really shrinking my clothes.

Oka, for real...I have gained alot of weight and I don't seem to get tired of cake at all. I love it. So I am now a member at Weight Watchers and have lost 15 pounds so far. This really keeps me in check. I do chew gum when I bake and when I need to sample frosting, I use the toothpick rule. I only sample with a toothpick and sample once only. That seems to help me too.

Sandy

cwcopeland Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cwcopeland Posted 30 Jul 2007 , 9:53pm
post #20 of 41

Ya'll's stories make me feel better. I haven't gained any more weight since I've started decorating cakes. I started gaining weight after the birth of my son (that was almost 20 years ago) and somehow it got so out of control, I just woke up one day really fat. My husband on the other hand has been fighting his weight for a long time too. He lost about 30lbs a few years ago, before I took my first cake decorating class. It was a 5 week class and I brought home a cake every week. He ate the homework and gained the 30 back and more. HE LOVES CAKE! He's my icing expert and he's really proud of the title.

My best friend says, "don't ever trust a skinny cook." In that case, you can really trust me.

icon_biggrin.gif

cakekrayzie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakekrayzie Posted 30 Jul 2007 , 10:06pm
post #21 of 41

when i started doing this about 7 years ago i had just lost a bunch of weight, and i king of looked like a crack head or at least that is what my aunt told me icon_redface.gif then i started to work at a ice cream shop as a cake decorator and it combined my two favorites ice cream and cake i would take the cake scrapes from broken cakes and add ice cream and whipped cream and that was my lunch, then i left that job and started going it on my own, well add to the running around and fast food and my weight started to come back now i have got it under control more or less but i am knid of tired of cake now, execpt for chcoclate cake with chocolate whipped cream everytime i do one i have to have a piece of the scrapes, and so far i have done 3 this week icon_cry.gif and i have one for next week too, the only tip i have is moderation not depervation icon_wink.gif

vitomiriam Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
vitomiriam Posted 30 Jul 2007 , 10:44pm
post #22 of 41

I got married in November of last year, plus started making cakes in February of this year. Grand total: 20 pounds. icon_cry.gif Haven't been this heavy since I had my oldest son and he's now 23.... icon_eek.gif

didavista Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
didavista Posted 30 Jul 2007 , 10:54pm
post #23 of 41

Yes, I've gained too. But I have always loved my sweets, so I don't know if its cakes, cookies, chocolate, age, or that I quit smoking. I figure I'll trade the cake for smoke.

cattycornercakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cattycornercakes Posted 30 Jul 2007 , 10:54pm
post #24 of 41

I hate to admit it but...I took my first class last November and I've gained 30 lbs since then icon_cry.gif

aliciababcock Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
aliciababcock Posted 30 Jul 2007 , 10:58pm
post #25 of 41

Since I do most of my cakes for practice, I am usually stuck with a lot of cake after family events. My husband is not too fond of cake, he might eat one slice and not want anymore for weeks. I can't just let the cake go bad and have to throw it away, so I eat it. And my fav. is cake for breakfast. I keep thinking that one day I will hate cake, but I think the more I decorate, the more I crave it. Anyway, I just have to work out longer on days I eat cake and try to keep the weight off.

cattycornercakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cattycornercakes Posted 30 Jul 2007 , 10:58pm
post #26 of 41

Oh..and I should mention I am now the same weight I was when I was 9 months pregnant with my 2 year old son icon_cry.gificon_cry.gif

candice1988 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
candice1988 Posted 30 Jul 2007 , 10:59pm
post #27 of 41

I actually think Ive eaten cake so much that I never even eat it or crave it anymore. After a while you just get tired of cake all the time. I think my family feels the same way some times. I still do love cake though icon_smile.gif

bethyboop Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bethyboop Posted 30 Jul 2007 , 11:10pm
post #28 of 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by revel

Yes i'm guilty of gaining weight! It's either the cake or because i'm a newlywed.(Honestly i think it's an allergy to cake...it makes me swell really bad!..lol)

this reminds me of a joke...
what is the most fattening food in the world?
wedding cake.

everybody knows that after you eat the wedding cake, you bloom.

Elizabeth19 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Elizabeth19 Posted 30 Jul 2007 , 11:26pm
post #29 of 41

argh... I her you ladies! Our youngest is 4 1/2 months old and I got within 6lbs of my prepreg weight by the time he was 8wks old...... oh I wish I could go back in time, Ive gained 8lbs in 2 months icon_cry.gif I used to have time to run a few days a week and didnt eat as much sugar (which is my all time down fall, Im a sugar addict!) but since having the baby Im eating a ton of cake scraps and icing icon_mad.gif and not exercising at all.... I keep telling myself I will start watching what I eat "next week".... lotta weeks are rolling by..... icon_surprised.gificon_eek.gificon_surprised.gif

tonedna Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tonedna Posted 31 Jul 2007 , 12:24am
post #30 of 41

icon_mad.gif I WAS OVERWEIGHT ALL MY LIFE...WORKING WITH CAKES IS NOT EASY...I AM A CAKE ADDICT...I ADMIT IT...IS LIKE ALCOHOL...LOL
I EXCERSISE SO I CAN EAT CAKE...AND THEN MY DR. SAID MY CHOLESTEROL IS WAY HIGH...WONDERING WHY...THE CAKESSSSSS!!!!

icon_sad.gif a decorator with issues....lol
icon_cry.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%