Was Wondering How Do You This

Decorating By amaniemom Updated 31 Jul 2007 , 1:12pm by beachcakes

amaniemom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
amaniemom Posted 29 Jul 2007 , 9:45pm
post #1 of 21

Hi I was wondering what most of you do
1) preparing pan - do you spray it, use parchment paper, crisco and flour,make your own release...?
2) cake out of pan.. as soon as I take the cake out of the oven I put the cooling rack on top of the pan I invert it and place it on counter for 10 min then just lift off the pan what about you, what do you do?
just curious.

20 replies
kelleym Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kelleym Posted 29 Jul 2007 , 9:54pm
post #2 of 21

I use the 'Crisco with Pillsbury Flour' spray in the blue can. It works just great, I have never had a problem with sticking.

When the cake comes out of the oven, I cool it in the pan for 7-10 minutes, then invert onto a cooling rack (removing the pan) and let it come to room temperature. After that, I either proceed to assemble or I wrap and freeze the cake for later.

edited to put in the right name of the spray I always use. icon_redface.gif

gmcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
gmcakes Posted 29 Jul 2007 , 10:01pm
post #3 of 21

I use shortening & flour for pan prep. After the cakes come out of the oven, I let rest in the pan for 15-20 mins then invert onto my board.

(When I do a full sheet cake, I have to bake two 12x18" cakes. When doing this they both need to be flipped together. In which case, I bake the first cake and it rest in the pan while the second cake bakes, and then I flip them both when the second cake has co0oled for about 5 mins.)

beachcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
beachcakes Posted 29 Jul 2007 , 10:35pm
post #4 of 21

I use the cake release that i learned about on here (equal parts shortening, veg oil and flour) and parchment on the bottom of the pan. Works great!

i let rest in the pan 10 mins before flipping onto a cooling rack.

leily Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leily Posted 30 Jul 2007 , 5:08am
post #5 of 21

I use my homemade cake release (equal parts shortening, veg oil, flour) around the sides and one inch in from the sides on the bottom. Lay parchement paper on the bottom of all the pans.

Out of the oven right away lay a piece of wax paper over the cake then a cutting board with a pan on top of it for 5 mins. remove pan/board/wax paper let cool in pan another 5 mins. Flip over onto cooling rack.

Let cool completely, wrap in plastic wrap and freeze. Even if I am going to decorate the next day. I prefer to work with my cakes cold, and have never gotten a complaint on the moistness, actually always get asked how I make it so moist.

Sorry for additional detail, just thought I would throw it in.

GI Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
GI Posted 30 Jul 2007 , 5:24am
post #6 of 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by gmcakes

(When I do a full sheet cake, I have to bake two 12x18" cakes. When doing this they both need to be flipped together. In which case, I bake the first cake and it rest in the pan while the second cake bakes, and then I flip them both when the second cake has co0oled for about 5 mins.)

Just curious since I'm not a professional icon_cry.gif -- why do you need the cakes flipped together? And doesn't the 1st cake get too cold to get it out of the pan?

I take my cakes out of the pan and rest on cooling racks, also. Cookies, too. Funny becase my former co-worker never heard of a cooling rack before and always set her cookies & cake on a plate...

KoryAK Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KoryAK Posted 30 Jul 2007 , 7:02am
post #7 of 21

I use parchment on the bottom and regular old pam spray on the sides. As soon as I can handle the pans (prob 15 minutes or so) I wrap them in plastic wrap and put em away till the next day. (I do all the baking one day, filling the next, and decorating the next in wedding season).

leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 30 Jul 2007 , 11:37am
post #8 of 21

I make my own pan release also. Way cheaper. But I use wax paper on the bottom. Parchment is too $ for me!

Ehh . . .sometiems I cool in the pan, sometimes I flip. Depends on how many layers I'm baking that day. Once I hit 20 or so, it's just whatever.

DianeLM Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DianeLM Posted 30 Jul 2007 , 1:05pm
post #9 of 21

I use the Crisco with flour spray also. I used Bakers Joy for years, but prefer the Crisco now. Homemade pan release may be cheaper, but the spray is SO MUCH QUICKER! Pssst...pssst...done! icon_smile.gif

Then, I line just the bottoms with parchment paper. I stock up on Wilton parchment paper whenever I have a coupon.

Let cake cool for 10 minutes (15-20 minutes for 12x1icon_cool.gif, then turn out onto cooling rack, THEN, take a second cooling rack and turn upright. I have at least TWO cooling racks handy. If I'm baking 2 layers, I have 3 racks handy, etc.

1234me Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
1234me Posted 30 Jul 2007 , 1:33pm
post #10 of 21

1) grease pan with homemade pan realease
2) after done baking, place pan on cooling rack - leave 10 minutes for smaller cakes, 15 for larger
3) flip cake onto cooling rack
4) quickly remove heating core and flip cake back over
5) allow to cool for several hours
6) level cake with large wilton cake leveler
7) wrap in plastic wrap
icon_cool.gif place in freezer

mpaigew Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mpaigew Posted 30 Jul 2007 , 4:15pm
post #11 of 21

I use parchment and cooking spray. When the cake is done I let it sit for a few minutes, and then invert it on a cookie sheet (with a piece of wax paper in between the cake and the cookie sheet.) That way I can easily put it in the freezer or fridge to cool quickly.

evieg Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
evieg Posted 30 Jul 2007 , 4:49pm
post #12 of 21

i grease pan w/ own pan realease i can put cake in a frezer because i made fresh cake

amaniemom Posted 30 Jul 2007 , 11:56pm
post #13 of 21

thanks for the answers. Ok so why some of you put wax or parchement paper if you already use a release of some sort? Is there something that I am missing?

KoryAK Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KoryAK Posted 31 Jul 2007 , 12:54am
post #14 of 21

parchment guarantees that the bottom will not stick, its not even touching the pan.

texasbecky Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
texasbecky Posted 31 Jul 2007 , 12:58am
post #15 of 21

Cake release and parchment. Let it stand for about ten minutes out of oven and then flip onto cooling rack, then flip right side up on another cooling rack.

leily Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leily Posted 31 Jul 2007 , 1:10am
post #16 of 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by KoryAK

parchment guarantees that the bottom will not stick, its not even touching the pan.

Ditto, I don't want to take the risk of it not coming out.

It also makes it nice and easy to handle when I get ready to frost b/c I can touch and move the cake around holding onto the parchment side w/o worrying so much about my hands touching the actual product

amaniemom Posted 31 Jul 2007 , 3:41am
post #17 of 21

I guess it is better to be safe than sorry.
thanks

gloria Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
gloria Posted 31 Jul 2007 , 4:46am
post #18 of 21

I make my own release - flour and crisco.

upon removal from oven I immediately place a tea towel over top of it and slightly press down to remove any "humps".

I then double wrap in saran, wrap in foil and freeze.

No cakes are eaten unless I freeze first - more moistness and less crumbling this way.

diane Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
diane Posted 31 Jul 2007 , 6:02am
post #19 of 21

i just use pam, and have never had any problems. i let the cake cool before i take it out of the pan.

CakeRN Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakeRN Posted 31 Jul 2007 , 6:21am
post #20 of 21

Use a generic brand of spray release from Krogers. Put parchement down on all my pans. Take out of oven...cover top with parchment and flip immediately onto cardboard round. When you leave the cakes in the pan after taking them out of the oven they continue to cook. So that is why I take mine out of the pan...so I don't over cook them.

beachcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
beachcakes Posted 31 Jul 2007 , 1:12pm
post #21 of 21

[quote="leily]It also makes it nice and easy to handle when I get ready to frost b/c I can touch and move the cake around holding onto the parchment side w/o worrying so much about my hands touching the actual product[/quote]

I also find it's easier to move it around. The parchment helps "hold it together" especially on larger cakes and if you are torting it, until you are ready to use it.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%