Ok....dumb Question But Can I Make My Own Sanding Sugars?

Decorating By CakeDiva73 Updated 30 Jul 2007 , 1:06am by MichelleM77

CakeDiva73 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakeDiva73 Posted 29 Jul 2007 , 5:26am
post #1 of 12

I want to use some colored sanding sugars and thought I remembered somewhere seeing a post about taking some sugar and a tiny bit of gel coloring and sealing them in a sandwich bag...then roll and smush to blend the color (careful to use a PINCH of color or it will get sticky)

Then I was thinking it could be spread over a piece of parchment to dry and seperate.....was thinking I could make these in a bunch of different shades using my cake colors rather then spending $15 I don't have on a rainbow of sugars at the cake store.

Also, do you just use the clear sanding sugar on whatever color icing and it works - sort of like using Super Pearl over any color to give it a glitter? thanks icon_lol.gif

P.S. Yes, I can hear the little bird in my head *cheep, cheep, cheep* icon_redface.gif

11 replies
nefgaby Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nefgaby Posted 29 Jul 2007 , 5:42am
post #2 of 12

I remember when I was a little girl my Mom used to make this, she would take a small cantainer with regular sugar and just add a drop or 2 of color and shake shake shake.... voila! HTH

bobwonderbuns Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bobwonderbuns Posted 29 Jul 2007 , 5:43am
post #3 of 12

You can powdered food colorings and mix in with white sugar in a baggie and shake, shake, shake! But keep in mind, most stores that sell the sanding sugars sell them VERY inexpensively, so you might want to consider just buying them. However if you make your own you have better control over the mixing and matching of colors. Weigh it out and see what works best for you. Hope that helps some! icon_biggrin.gif

Cake_Princess Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cake_Princess Posted 29 Jul 2007 , 5:56am
post #4 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by CakeDiva73

I want to use some colored sanding sugars and thought I remembered somewhere seeing a post about taking some sugar and a tiny bit of gel coloring and sealing them in a sandwich bag...then roll and smush to blend the color (careful to use a PINCH of color or it will get sticky)

Then I was thinking it could be spread over a piece of parchment to dry and seperate.....was thinking I could make these in a bunch of different shades using my cake colors rather then spending $15 I don't have on a rainbow of sugars at the cake store.

Also, do you just use the clear sanding sugar on whatever color icing and it works - sort of like using over any color to give it a glitter? thanks icon_lol.gif

P.S. Yes, I can hear the little bird in my head *cheep, cheep, cheep* icon_redface.gif

Off topic I just stocked up on some cool irridescent sanding sugars.

CakeDiva73 Posted 29 Jul 2007 , 6:43am
post #5 of 12

where did you get it? the irridescent sugar, I mean.......I will check out a cheap source, my local cake store was about $2.50 per color and I needed 6 or 7 so that was my thinking - lol......

Kim_m_kk Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kim_m_kk Posted 29 Jul 2007 , 6:53am
post #6 of 12

I have done this. I just used regular sugar and a little bit of food color in a plastic bag and shake and mush and shake. Worked fine

ribbitfroggie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ribbitfroggie Posted 29 Jul 2007 , 7:17am
post #7 of 12

I just saw this on this great blog the other day, scan down to the second one and she gives the recipe from Martha Stewart. HTH!

CakeDiva73 Posted 29 Jul 2007 , 7:15pm
post #8 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by ribbitfroggie

I just saw this on this great blog the other day, scan down to the second one and she gives the recipe from Martha Stewart. HTH!

Is the blog here? And does she add something else to it, I wonder....to keep the sugar from sticking together....maybe a touch of corn starch like they put in powdered sugar (I think).

missnnaction Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
baker4life Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
baker4life Posted 29 Jul 2007 , 8:36pm
post #10 of 12

Yep, I do it all the time. I also add color ot regular sugar too.

It is very convenient for me and you can customize to whatever color you want! And you don't have to make a trip to the store or wait for your order to be delivered.

ribbitfroggie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ribbitfroggie Posted 29 Jul 2007 , 10:45pm
post #11 of 12

Well darnit, I apparently forgot the link...sorry alll!
http://www.cakejournal.com/

MichelleM77 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MichelleM77 Posted 30 Jul 2007 , 1:06am
post #12 of 12

Do you have a bulk food store near you? That's where I get mine and then you can just buy the amount you need instead of a big bag of one color that you might not use again.

My bulk food store sells candy, baking ingredients, chips, etc. Lots of good stuff!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%