Melvira Vs Viva Method Question

Decorating By tobycat Updated 1 Aug 2007 , 3:37am by newlywedws

tobycat Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tobycat Posted 29 Jul 2007 , 2:30am
post #1 of 12

I've become a big fan of the Viva method, but I'm curious to try Melvira's.

The question I have is this:

It seems that the heat from my hands helps in the smoothing process with the Viva. Isn't this completly lost with the roller? Does it really take care of all the little bubbles, etc? Or is it just a good thing to use to get you going and then use your hands/towel afterwards?

S.

11 replies
SueB Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SueB Posted 29 Jul 2007 , 2:47am
post #2 of 12

I can't answer your question because I tried the roller method and my icing stuck immediately to it. So I went right back to the Viva towel which I love!

countrycakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
countrycakes Posted 29 Jul 2007 , 3:03am
post #3 of 12

sueB, did you let your icing crust? If it did crust, it should not have stuck to the roller, unless you were applying too much pressure......I just learned this method the last several weeks........you just roll that roller ever so lightly, and it works! thumbs_up.gif

SueB Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SueB Posted 29 Jul 2007 , 3:25am
post #4 of 12

Yes, it was crusted...otherwise the paper towel wouldn't have worked...right? I'll just stick with what I know...it works well for me.

1234me Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
1234me Posted 30 Jul 2007 , 2:24pm
post #5 of 12

I use both methods and love them equally. Don't apply lots of pressure with the roller - gentle does it. Try them both - I usually use each mothed on each cake !

mpaigew Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mpaigew Posted 30 Jul 2007 , 4:11pm
post #6 of 12

I LOVE the Melvira method!!!! I made the mistake of buying the wrong rollers first, and those gave the icing a "spackled" texture. After I purchased the correct ones, it came out SO smooth. I personally think it is so much easier than Viva...you have more control over your edges, and it is faster. I have no problems with air bubbles or the little "dimple-dots" that appear sometimes...just roll it over the cake a few times, and you are good to go.

tobycat Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tobycat Posted 31 Jul 2007 , 3:44am
post #7 of 12

Well, I guess I'll give it a try -- thanks for the input!

S.

mareg Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mareg Posted 31 Jul 2007 , 3:20pm
post #8 of 12

I thought the viva method was great till I tried the Melvira method. I LOVE it. give it a try.

CakeBreaks Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakeBreaks Posted 31 Jul 2007 , 5:08pm
post #9 of 12

I bought WHIZZ Roller system in 4 and 6 inches.
The package states "Ultra Smooth Surfaces High-Density Foam." Does anyone know if these are the right ones?

mpaigew Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mpaigew Posted 31 Jul 2007 , 8:07pm
post #10 of 12

Mine are the ultra fine high density ones...it sounds like yours are the same. I just bought a pack of the rollers at Home Depot since I already had the little handle.

kerri729 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kerri729 Posted 31 Jul 2007 , 9:32pm
post #11 of 12

I too am hooked on the Melvira method.........I used to use the Viva, computer paper, etc........this past weekend, I smoothed with the roller.....I bought mine at Home Depot as well, the ultra dense ones.....I will never use Viva again..........the cake for 400, I smoothed the BC, and also the cream cheese icing on 3 of the 5 10" rounds that I made........worked perfect..........I love it! Melvira ROCKS!!!

newlywedws Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
newlywedws Posted 1 Aug 2007 , 3:37am
post #12 of 12

I LOVE the melvira method...it's a no brainer -and SO simple! Wish I would have thought of it first icon_biggrin.gif I use a foam roller that's made by Rubbermaid -handle is blue, w/ a yellow foam roller (it's small, but I find that it suits me well) it was about $3 at wal-mart.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%