Viva Technique

Decorating By shelshel Updated 23 Sep 2006 , 2:56pm by CarolAnn

shelshel Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
shelshel Posted 23 Sep 2006 , 2:03pm
post #1 of 10

Can anyone tell me where I can find the technique for using the VIVA papertowels for smoothing Buttercream?

9 replies
divaofcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
divaofcakes Posted 23 Sep 2006 , 2:08pm
post #2 of 10

Search for faux fondant on CC. I did the same technique but could not find the Viva! So I used parchment paper. It gave me the same effect. Good luck!

BigFatMamaKat Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BigFatMamaKat Posted 23 Sep 2006 , 2:08pm
post #3 of 10

Click on the tab that says "articles" and then type "Viva" into the search blank. icon_smile.gif

alicegop Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
alicegop Posted 23 Sep 2006 , 2:11pm
post #4 of 10

I like to cut my VIVA into 4ths... easier to see what I am doing and where I want the papertowel.

Use a crusting frosting and make sure you let it sit for awhile but not too long. Then put the paper towel up to the cake and use your hands or the fondant smoother to smooth out the frosting, works good, but sometimes makes your frosting look like worn leather icon_sad.gif

CarolAnn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CarolAnn Posted 23 Sep 2006 , 2:23pm
post #5 of 10

To smoothe with a Viva all I do is allow the icing to dry few minutes and then lay the towel on an area and smoothe using the flat of my hand and finger tips, pick up and move to another area until I have it all smoothed out. I've heard of people using a fondant smoother too but I use my hand because I can feel the icing under my fingers and tell how smoothe it is. I did a cupcake cake yesterday and this worked wonderfully to smoothe out the rough top I had trying to get that thing leveled out. I can also hang it over the edge of my cake to fix a flaw or stretch it up and over the top edge, towards the center, to help give a rounder curve to the egde. Does that make sense? Also I can fix a flaw (ie bubble, finger dent or spatula nick) by applying a dab of icing, letting it sit a minute and then put a viva over and smoothing with my finger to blend it in. This works great for me. It's the only paper towel I buy anymore so I have them handy to grab when I'm working on a cake. AND they're soft enough to grab when I have hay fever in the fall. Ahhhh...choo!

Jenn1978 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jenn1978 Posted 23 Sep 2006 , 2:26pm
post #6 of 10

I keep reading about the VIVA technique, I have never tried this. I use the icer tip then use the hot knife techniqe. Has anybody tried both? If so which one do you think works better? I don't have a problem with the hot knife but sometimes I'm lazy and don't feel like boiling water! pretty sad huh?

drurys Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
drurys Posted 23 Sep 2006 , 2:30pm
post #7 of 10

If I dont use the BC recipe that calls for the meringue powder, I have a really hard time with this method. I just can only seem to get it to work with one BC recipe. It is a wilton recipe with Meringue Powder....

cowdex Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cowdex Posted 23 Sep 2006 , 2:31pm
post #8 of 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jenn1978

I keep reading about the VIVA technique, I have never tried this. I use the icer tip then use the hot knife techniqe. Has anybody tried both? If so which one do you think works better? I don't have a problem with the hot knife but sometimes I'm lazy and don't feel like boiling water! pretty sad huh?

I think I'm less stressed by Viva.....but they both work.

mkerton Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mkerton Posted 23 Sep 2006 , 2:39pm
post #9 of 10

Personally I prefer using parchment paper, dont know what I am doing wrong with the VIVA but its like it allows me to move the frosting around or shift it and I dont want to do that! I am evidently unable to VIVA like everyone else...so I use parchment paper and my fondant smoother or just my hand.

Of course I am still working on the perfectly smooth cake!

CarolAnn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CarolAnn Posted 23 Sep 2006 , 2:56pm
post #10 of 10

Drury's,
Try leaving out the merringue. When I use the wilton recipe I rarely use the merringue. Your icing will still crust a little without it and when you use the viva you only need to allow the icing to sit a few minutes before you can begin to use the paper towel. Just test your icing by laying the towel on the cake, run a finger lightly over the towel and lift it to see if it's sticking. If it is remove the towel and allow it to sit a few more minutes then try again. I just don't get a smoothe enough finish on my cakes even using the hot knife method. ALTHOUGH I have very good results using a hot knife to smoothe an icing patch over a major flaw and toweling afterwards. Just play with it. Like everything else it takes practice.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%