Any One Else Started School Shopping?

Lounge By mbelgard Updated 5 Aug 2007 , 12:49am by shelbur10

mbelgard Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mbelgard Posted 28 Jul 2007 , 6:19pm
post #1 of 28

We have, school starts in less than a month. icon_cry.gif We ordered all my son's pants and some plain long sleeve tees to wear under his "cool" tees since that's all he wants to wear. Ordering is so I don't have to search all over for slim pants in the size I want.
Next week we're going to go shopping for the neat shirts and stuff. I've been told that we need to find pirate, dragon, skull and transformer shirts. icon_rolleyes.gif

It also kind of depressed me because I measured my 4 year old to order him some pants too because he's out growing everything and takes knees out in no time (and he's getting really skinny too). I had to get him a size 6. icon_eek.gif My oldest wasn't in that size until he started kindergarten.

27 replies
Leahbell Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Leahbell Posted 28 Jul 2007 , 7:20pm
post #2 of 28

Yep, we've already started. I got all the school supplies, and almost all the clothes. My daughter has to wear uniforms. She also wears slim sizes, and it can be pretty hard to find what the school allows in her size. Usually I have to get pants and skirts from Old Navy.

JRAE33 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JRAE33 Posted 28 Jul 2007 , 8:23pm
post #3 of 28

We're going sometime during the week. We do all our shopping in one day...school supplies, clothes, lunch boxes, etc...so it will be a day long adventure. I have two going this year and finding clothes for them is SO hard. My son, age 5, is on the heavier side. The poor kid has asthma and has been having a hard time and he's on a couple of different steriods which has him putting on weight like crazy. It's hard for him to exercise because of the asthma so that doesn't help. Anyways, he'll be 6 in October and is wearing a 10 husky, which has to be hemmed. Hard finding that size. My daughter, on the other hand, is 4 (will be 5 in Dec) and is still wearing a 2T for skirts/shorts. It's hard to find pants because 2T is too short but if you get something to fit the length then the waist is too big and the pants fall off! If it's not one extreme it's another with my kids! And to top it off, they go to private Catholic school and have to wear a uniform...no t-shirts/sweats...only solid colors or plaid skirts.

Sorry...I got a little side tracked from the original question icon_biggrin.gif Jodie

mbelgard Posted 28 Jul 2007 , 8:36pm
post #4 of 28

You're little girl is TINY. icon_lol.gif

We don't buy much for school supplies, I'll buy some crayons and stuff but I won't know what the teachers will let him have until the day before school starts. My kid goes to a BIA school so they don't send out supply lists (the teachers aren't allowed to send one out because some parents won't buy stuff). I normally buy crayons, glue sticks, scissors, a pencil sharpener, a pencil box and pencils but they don't tell us what kind of paper or anything else they want. Some teachers won't let the kids keep anything that the parents buy at school, they just send it home because the school gives them everything.

mkolmar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mkolmar Posted 29 Jul 2007 , 12:05am
post #5 of 28

almost done with school shopping. I only have to get some more school supplies. My daughter will be in 2nd grade and is in a size 7 length but a size 4/5 waist. She's tall and slim. My son who is going into Kindergaten is a size 6 in length and a size 2/3 in the waist. Also tall and thin. I found pants at the childrens place for them both. They have these adjustable bands in the inside so you can tighten them if your child is thinner. I think you can order them online too.

School starts here on September 4th.

infields Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
infields Posted 29 Jul 2007 , 12:25am
post #6 of 28

I've started already. School starts Aug. 23rd here, so I've been picking up some things here and there. We just took a mini vacation to Mall of America, so it was a great time to do some clothes shopping. I just wish this summer wasn't flying by. It seems like I've hardly had time to enjoy it.

LaSombra Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LaSombra Posted 29 Jul 2007 , 2:54am
post #7 of 28

less than a month away already?? icon_eek.gif

oh my...I'm going to have to set aside some school supply/clothes money for this I guess. I'm sure he'll want the transformers clothes as well icon_rolleyes.gif

CakeDiva73 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakeDiva73 Posted 29 Jul 2007 , 3:12am
post #8 of 28

My kids go back on Aug. 13th icon_surprised.gif and I started school shopping a couple weeks ago....the different thing with me is I get all their stuff at thrift stores. I am a single mother of 4 so brand new clothes are a stretch but to be honest, I prefer it like this.

My friend and I went 2 days in a row to a town with a bunch of stores and I got Mudd Jeans for $1.99 - they were so new they were crisp.......Old Navy, Abercrombie & Fitch, Aeropostale, tons and tons of Roxy t-shirts and sweatshirts, Paul Frank & Bobby Jack...long story short, my girls wear the cutest brand names clothes that I could never in a million years come close to affording if I tried to buy them new.

When I was a kid we always shopped at K-mart so I used to dream about the name brands icon_smile.gif so I don't mind taking the time to shop for their stuff. Since it's way too hard to shop with 4 kids (and my friend and I have been known to do 10 hrs each day) I just make a note of their measurements and preferences so I remember my youngest likes size 6x sundresses whereas my middle girl likes all brown/khaki or faded stuff - no bright colors and she loves capris. The oldest basically likes to dress surfer/skater....

I even got their backpacks for $2-3 a piece. I also like it because in many ways it's recycling stuff & they always have unique outfits. Ok, I'm getting off my little soapbox now - lol.

heather2780 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
heather2780 Posted 29 Jul 2007 , 3:42am
post #9 of 28

School starts here augest 17th on a friday no less anyone else find that wierd. i just ordered some things yesterday by the way the person looking for skulls and transformers might want to try target my son is into that same stuff. we just have to get the supplies and shoes and underclothes and then we are all set.I love and hate this time of year I love the shopping and the new things and for some reason I love to buy supplies but I hate when the credit card bill comes in. icon_lol.gif

sweetness_221 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetness_221 Posted 29 Jul 2007 , 4:14am
post #10 of 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by CakeDiva73

My kids go back on Aug. 13th icon_surprised.gif and I started school shopping a couple weeks ago....the different thing with me is I get all their stuff at thrift stores. I am a single mother of 4 so brand new clothes are a stretch but to be honest, I prefer it like this.

My friend and I went 2 days in a row to a town with a bunch of stores and I got Mudd Jeans for $1.99 - they were so new they were crisp.......Old Navy, Abercrombie & Fitch, Aeropostale, tons and tons of Roxy t-shirts and sweatshirts, Paul Frank & Bobby Jack...long story short, my girls wear the cutest brand names clothes that I could never in a million years come close to affording if I tried to buy them new.

When I was a kid we always shopped at K-mart so I used to dream about the name brands icon_smile.gif so I don't mind taking the time to shop for their stuff. Since it's way too hard to shop with 4 kids (and my friend and I have been known to do 10 hrs each day) I just make a note of their measurements and preferences so I remember my youngest likes size 6x sundresses whereas my middle girl likes all brown/khaki or faded stuff - no bright colors and she loves capris. The oldest basically likes to dress surfer/skater....

I even got their backpacks for $2-3 a piece. I also like it because in many ways it's recycling stuff & they always have unique outfits. Ok, I'm getting off my little soapbox now - lol.

You are not alone. I just went to the thrift store today to get my 8 yr old some school clothes. We do this twice a year. The one I go to also has a lot of name brands. I got her a boat load of clothes all name brand and in good condition for about 100 bucks. That includes clothes for myself and my other 2 DD's. If I were to buy all of these new I would have spent way over $300. I do buy her a couple of new outfits for school though, but usually that's at Wal-Mart or Kohl's when they have the good sales. I am the biggest penny pincher when it comes to things. If it's not on sale, clearance, or consignment we don't buy it. What's funny is I can't stand to pay $15 for a pair of jeans at Wal-Mart. I buy the ones that either are marked down on clearance or there cheapy $10 jeans. Plus after school starts when the stores start to mark down there school supplies I will go and stock up for the next year. Doing that I only had to get tissues and some highlighters for this year. I had everything else already. Being a family of 5 and living on one income we do what we have to do to get by.

mkolmar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mkolmar Posted 29 Jul 2007 , 5:05am
post #11 of 28

If it's not on sale, clearance, or consignment we don't buy it. What's funny is I can't stand to pay $15 for a pair of jeans at Wal-Mart. I buy the ones that either are marked down on clearance or there cheapy $10 jeans.

I'm the same way! I cringe at spending $15 for a pair of jeans for my kids. I was so happy at the Childrens Place they had a huge sale on shirts for $3.99 and jeans were $10 when I was there. I also had a 25% off coupon. If anyone looks they should still have a coupon (I think you can find it online--mine came in the mail) for 25% off for you and 15% for a friend.
Sears plus Kohles also has some good sales right now too.

CakeDiva73 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakeDiva73 Posted 29 Jul 2007 , 5:18am
post #12 of 28

Oh....forgot to mention that while I'm shopping for the kids, I take a little stroll over to housewares icon_lol.gif ....got some Wilton fondant cutters for .79 today - brand new in the package and in the past have found the 4 piece Wilton Flower Cake set for $5.99......a pasta machine for $6.99 (for rolling fondant) and, get this....a Magic Line wedding cake pan - 2 20" halves for $6!! I also found an entire ML round wedding cake set for under $10.

So I am a total crazy addict.....I think that is evident icon_redface.gif

bluehen92 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bluehen92 Posted 29 Jul 2007 , 11:34am
post #13 of 28

My kids start August 22nd but I haven't started shopping yet. I think I'll hit Target this week but I'm not going to go nuts because I want to wait until it gets cooler to buy any jeans & long sleeve shirts - my kids have a way of out growing things before they can wear them if I buy too early icon_rolleyes.gif My daughter is in between sizes - she's too tall for an 8, but not tall enough for a 10 (she's 8 ). DS is tall and skinny, so he needs a 6 for his height but could wear a 4 around the waist (he's 5). When the tourists leave the beach later in September I'll go down to the outlets.

24 more days!

-Lisa

mbelgard Posted 29 Jul 2007 , 1:23pm
post #14 of 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluehen92

My kids start August 22nd but I haven't started shopping yet. I think I'll hit Target this week but I'm not going to go nuts because I want to wait until it gets cooler to buy any jeans & long sleeve shirts - my kids have a way of out growing things before they can wear them if I buy too early icon_rolleyes.gif
-Lisa

We have to have fall clothing right away here, depending on the year we can see frost in August. It's cold in the morning even if it gets warm in the afternoon so they're going to need stuff right away.

We aren't lucky enough to have a good second hand shop for clothes around here. icon_cry.gif

LaSombra Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LaSombra Posted 29 Jul 2007 , 2:48pm
post #15 of 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by mbelgard

We have to have fall clothing right away here, depending on the year we can see frost in August. It's cold in the morning even if it gets warm in the afternoon so they're going to need stuff right away.

Where do you live that it gets cold so soon?

JRAE33 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JRAE33 Posted 29 Jul 2007 , 3:18pm
post #16 of 28

I wish we had a good thrift store like that!! I like in a small town and we have two...one is a community clothing store and whatever you can fit into a plastic grocery bag you can get for $4 but they aren't the best clothes. They are great for play clothes and summer days...not really for school. Our other resale shop is over priced in my book. I can go to the outlet stores and buy clearance for the same price as used clothes at the resale shop. I love the outlet stores...Old Navy and Gap especially. I only shop sale and clearance at the outlets. I get really good deals and the clothes last longer...which is good for my daughter because she's so tiny and can wear her clothes year after year. She's wearing some shorts for the 3rd summer in a row...they are just shorter then the first year.

MBELGARD- What's a BIA school? I've never heard of a school that didn't give out supply lists. I know schools are supposed to supply items that are required, but none of the schools I went to ever did! My husband doesn't understand why we have to but supplies...he thinks the tution we pay should be enough icon_lol.gif School supplies are my favorite part of school shopping!

mbelgard Posted 29 Jul 2007 , 4:28pm
post #17 of 28

A BIA school is like a DOD school, they're funded by the federal government. We live in a reservation area (my husband is part Native) and we live within the res school district. Because alot of the kids are Native just about everything is covered or there are very few fees.

I live on the northern border of North Dakota, some years it's in the 80's in September and others 50 is the high. A couple years ago we had a big storm that shut everything down the first week of October and this year we got frost up till the end of May so we never know what the weather will bring so we have to be prepared with school clothes that are warm.

Dordee Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Dordee Posted 30 Jul 2007 , 12:56am
post #18 of 28

My son is 5 and wears a 8 regular in pants. I only have to have them hemmed very little though because he is so tall. We are finished though (WHEW!!!) I am so glad!!!! I wish we had some decent thrift stores around here. DH and I were out around $350.00 this year but that included shirts, pants, undies, socks, shoes, backpack, a jacket for fall, and a coat for winter so I don't feel bad about it. Our thrift stores only have things that are completely worn out and are only fit to be playing in the dirt clothes or barn clothes. IF they did actually have something name brand it would be extremely outdated and overpriced. Anyway i'm glad it's done!

littleredtonya Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
littleredtonya Posted 30 Jul 2007 , 10:59am
post #19 of 28

I haven't done my school shopping yet. I will probably start next week. I have a 6 year old boy and a 4 1/2 year old girl. I will take two different days and take them seperately. I am only punishing myself and them if I take them together. icon_cry.gif That way I have the whole day with each to do what ever. My boy will be in the first grade. He wears a size 7 in jeans. I have to buy all new stuff jeans, shorts, shirts, underware, socks, shoes, backpack he hit a huge growth spurt. My little girl the same. She is in preschool. She has gained 8 pounds since the first of the year. At the first of the year we took them to florida and she could wear the summer clothes from last year (3t - 4t), size 10 shoe. Now 5-6 girl and a 12 shoe. HOLY COW!!!! where did that come from.
I can't wait I love to shop for them. And I so cannot wait until school starts can you say "Calgon take me away". icon_lol.gif

Tonya

bluehen92 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bluehen92 Posted 30 Jul 2007 , 11:14am
post #20 of 28

[quote="mbelgard"]We have to have fall clothing right away here, depending on the year we can see frost in August. It's cold in the morning even if it gets warm in the afternoon so they're going to need stuff right away. [quote]

I'm jealous icon_cry.gif I'm one of those wierdos (and DH is too) who prefer cold weather to hot. I HATE this nasty, gross east coast humidity in the summer that makes it hard to just breathe when you go outside. We won't need jeans & long sleeves until just about October. The worst was the last couple of Halloweens my kids were sweating walking around in their costumes. Ugh. I know you guys have bitter cold & wind up there, but I can't stand this stifiling heat & humidity.

Yesterday DD asked when we were going to go shopping and if the back to school sales have started yet icon_lol.gif

-Lisa

mbelgard Posted 30 Jul 2007 , 12:51pm
post #21 of 28

I'll trade any day. We have high humidity in summer too but if you haven't felt what -40 you have no idea how terrible it is.

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 30 Jul 2007 , 1:06pm
post #22 of 28

Even tho' I'm almost 50, I still have a 14 year old to get back in school. But we are not one of those families who buys all the clothes all at once. I CAN NOT get into buying winter coats in July! WILL. NOT. DO. IT. I'll wait until Nov, when they are on winter clearance so the stores can bring in the bikinis. (Does anyone beside me find this SO STUPID?????) icon_confused.gif

We buy stuff as needed. She might get a couple of new outfits at the start of school, but she starts school in the shorts, jeans and summer clothes she's been wearing. As it gets colder, we buy more.

My first one (who is now 2icon_cool.gif is the only one I did the"buy everything now" thing and I think I did it because somehow that's the rule and that's what everyone says you're SUPPOSE to do. icon_confused.gif Kids grow and need new clothes all year long. I'm not spending my whole budget in August anymore.

One year, my 14 year old's school tried the uniform thing, with assurances that the stores had been alerted and would have the clothes. That year, we had to switch gears and buy her more than "a couple of outfits" in August .... but what a joke!! The stores stocked the 'uniform' clothes ONLY in Aug-Sept! When we went to buy new clothes for Christmas, we couldn't find a single one! Fortunately, they had made the uniform thing optional, so we opted out in lieu of sending her to school naked because none of the august-purchased clothes fit her anymore!

Our school supply lists are on-line, but since she's in high school now, it's pretty much the basic paper, folders, pens, and pencils. No biggie. I would get all ticked at school supply lists full of things she'd never use (certain COLOR folders, certain STYLE of binder ..... oh puh-leese!)

I actually hate school systems. They don't operate in the real world and have zero consideration for working parents. (Ever try to get a parent-teacher conf appt after 6:00 p.m.?) icon_confused.gif My granddaughter started kindergarten this year and my daughter ran into the school system arrogance. I sat back and smiled and said, "And you only have more than a whole decade to deal with that! I've dealt with it for over 20 years with 4 more to go ..... it never changes ..... never gets any better."

keri0323 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
keri0323 Posted 3 Aug 2007 , 9:18pm
post #23 of 28

if you have a childerns place nearby they are having that sale on jeans and it you google childerns place coupon you can print off a 20% off your next purchase, it seems reasonable to me but I only have one going to preschool this year, I'll probably pick up something for the little one too, I would waste all my money on cute clothes for them if I could afford it.

heather2780 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
heather2780 Posted 4 Aug 2007 , 3:57am
post #24 of 28

just thought i would let you know for all you online shoppers I ordered my DS clothes from target last week and i got them in the mail with regular free shipping in like 3 days.

mbelgard Posted 4 Aug 2007 , 2:39pm
post #25 of 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by indydebi

Even tho' I'm almost 50, I still have a 14 year old to get back in school. But we are not one of those families who buys all the clothes all at once. I CAN NOT get into buying winter coats in July! WILL. NOT. DO. IT. I'll wait until Nov, when they are on winter clearance so the stores can bring in the bikinis. (Does anyone beside me find this SO STUPID?????) icon_confused.gif

We've looked at winter coats but won't be buying one until late September or October when they're needed, same with winter boots since kids feet grow. Since my kids are hard on jeans we buy all new for school, my youngest isn't in school yet but he's been known to take the knees out of pants in under a month.
The last couple years my son has been considerate enough to go through a size a year in pants (my mother says that's about to change) icon_cry.gif and we buy shirts all year.

I get annoyed with when stuff gets put out too. Winter boots can really get me mad, we have snow until AT LEAST March here in North Dakota and kids do grow so why do they clear them all out in November? icon_mad.gif

bharbor Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bharbor Posted 4 Aug 2007 , 8:01pm
post #26 of 28

I did all my son's today. He is going to be a senior this year so it is my last year to do this, Yeah!!!!! He is 6'4, but only has a size 30 waist, so it is a real treat to try to find pants to fit. But he just buys them big and wears a belt (thank God that kids wear their pants loose these days). Florida doesn't charge tax on a lot of school supplies this week, so everyone was out shopping, took me 45 minutes to get through check out line. But it's done!

Jenteach Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jenteach Posted 4 Aug 2007 , 9:43pm
post #27 of 28

My DD is only 3 and not in school yet, but I'm going back to school in September! I'm so excited. I have decided to go to Teacher's college and I applied last November for this September start. I have bought a few things, but I'm not quite sure what I will need. I did buy myself a new top today though to wear with jeans! OMG I get to wear jeans on a daily basis (when we're not teaching). I have my MBA and have been working at the same company for the last 10 years and this is so new and exciting for me (scary too though!).

Sorry for getting side-tracked. I am just so excited!

School starts for some on August 13th? When did it end?

Jen

shelbur10 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
shelbur10 Posted 5 Aug 2007 , 12:49am
post #28 of 28

We went shopping today. We don't usually do a lot of clothes shopping right now, because they will grow throughout the year, but it's our sales tax holiday this weekend and lots of sales, so I always take advantage of that for jeans and shoes and such. One very odd thing this year, I could not lay my hands on so much as a long sleeved shirt! I like to buy a couple short sleeved shirts, since it won't get cold until October or November, but I like to have a few new long sleeved things so I'm not taken off guard when it gets cold. Not this year!! I hate buying a bunch of tshirts now when they still have perfectly good clothes I bought in the spring! But I'm a softie...I want them to have some new things for school.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%