Woo Hoo! I Finally Finished A Quilling Cake!

Decorating By i_heart_pastry Updated 6 Aug 2007 , 8:05pm by novacaine24

i_heart_pastry Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
i_heart_pastry Posted 28 Jul 2007 , 3:23pm
post #1 of 36

I have wanted to do a quilling cake for so long & now I've finally finished one! I had made some flowers a couple of weeks ago for a 2-tier cake that I was going to serve to some friends, but I had a cake disaster (story in the disaster forum)! Then I had an order for a floral cake that ended up falling through. Finally, I received a call yesterday afternoon asking if I could do a small last minute floral cake for this morning, and I finally had my opportunity to use those flowers! Yay!

I was pretty happy with how it turned out. I still think the 2-tier would have looked better, but at least the flowers found a home! icon_wink.gif

Thanks for looking!

Bec
LL

35 replies
dazey1050 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dazey1050 Posted 28 Jul 2007 , 3:31pm
post #2 of 36

That's beautiful. I love the colors and the flowers that are sticking straight out are so cute.

MichelleM77 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MichelleM77 Posted 28 Jul 2007 , 3:31pm
post #3 of 36

Beautiful!! What did you use to attach the flowers, royal icing?

I've wanted to try one as well and was even thinking about it last night! I'm new to the cake thing and figured I could at least play around with some fondant even though I'm scared to attempt a full cake design right now.

i_heart_pastry Posted 28 Jul 2007 , 4:22pm
post #4 of 36

Yep, I used RI to attach everything. I picked up a pretty solid plastic clay gun at Michaels to use just for fondant, and it's working great. There are so many neat things you can do with it, plus it's dishwasher safe. I've still only used a few of the attachments & I can't wait to try out some of the others!

Thanks for the nice comments - I really appreciate it!

Bec

doreen1092 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
doreen1092 Posted 28 Jul 2007 , 4:28pm
post #5 of 36

This cake is soooo cute !! I have been wanting to get a clay gun , I guess I should so I can make cute cakes like yours thumbs_up.gif

omaida Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
omaida Posted 28 Jul 2007 , 4:39pm
post #6 of 36

Beautiful cake. I'm glad everything turned out OK for you. These flowers are totally awesome.!!

Julisa Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Julisa Posted 28 Jul 2007 , 4:43pm
post #7 of 36

Wow. That came out great.
Now, I have a stupid question. Is quilling a technique or a theme?

i_heart_pastry Posted 28 Jul 2007 , 4:51pm
post #8 of 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by Julisa

Wow. That came out great.
Now, I have a stupid question. Is quilling a technique or a theme?

Not a stupid question! It's actually a paper-folding technique. Thin strips of paper are cut and folded or curled into all kinds of neat shapes. Colette Peters used the idea on fondant in one of her books with a gorgeous result. I used the strips like she did, but I also used some of the round tubes of fondant, which I think I like better than the strips. This was really fun to make, and much easier than I thought it would be!

Bec

Tellis12 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Tellis12 Posted 28 Jul 2007 , 5:30pm
post #9 of 36

This is so great! Just last night I was doing a search to find everything I could on how to do quilling with fondant/gumpaste. Your cake is adorable! Can you post detailed directions? It doesn't look like you rolled the fondant for your flowers, but what did you do?

MrsMissey Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MrsMissey Posted 28 Jul 2007 , 5:42pm
post #10 of 36

Wow, your cake is just adorable!

jarjam1026 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jarjam1026 Posted 28 Jul 2007 , 6:05pm
post #11 of 36

HOW ADORABLE! GREAT JOB!

ShirleyW Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ShirleyW Posted 28 Jul 2007 , 6:22pm
post #12 of 36

Great job Bec, I love quilling and yours looks beautiful!

ladyteej Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ladyteej Posted 28 Jul 2007 , 6:34pm
post #13 of 36

Cute. Great Job!!!!

ps3884 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ps3884 Posted 28 Jul 2007 , 6:35pm
post #14 of 36

Very pretty! I just bought a quilling paper activity kit for a child's birthday gift. I may have to buy one myself now for the pattern book - lot's of great ideas!

thems_my_kids Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
thems_my_kids Posted 28 Jul 2007 , 6:49pm
post #15 of 36

Wow! I love it! Great job!

jessieb578 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jessieb578 Posted 28 Jul 2007 , 6:53pm
post #16 of 36

absolutely adorable!

valora387 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
valora387 Posted 28 Jul 2007 , 6:55pm
post #17 of 36

I love this cake! It looks great, the butterflies are awesome! Wonderful job on it!
Erin

superstar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
superstar Posted 28 Jul 2007 , 7:02pm
post #18 of 36

Great job. I have never tried this technique, but after seeing your cake & seeing what you have to say, I just might take the plunge.

cwcopeland Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cwcopeland Posted 28 Jul 2007 , 8:22pm
post #19 of 36

Precious! You did a beautiful job.

miriel Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
miriel Posted 28 Jul 2007 , 8:36pm
post #20 of 36

You did a great job on the cake! icon_smile.gif

katwomen1up Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
katwomen1up Posted 28 Jul 2007 , 10:01pm
post #21 of 36

Very cool,... and gorgeous!! I would also be interested in a step by step. ( If you wouldn't mind?)

Kat

MichelleM77 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MichelleM77 Posted 28 Jul 2007 , 11:02pm
post #22 of 36

Ooohhh great idea to use the clay gun! I have one for clay and now I'll have to get one for fondant! I wondered how you got all your pieces so neat and even. Thanks for sharing!

i_heart_pastry Posted 28 Jul 2007 , 11:52pm
post #23 of 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by katwomen1up

Very cool,... and gorgeous!! I would also be interested in a step by step. ( If you wouldn't mind?)

Kat

Thanks, everyone. There really wasn't much to it. I just used the clay gun disks to get different shapes of "ropes." To use the clay gun, be sure that you've kneaded some extra shortening into your fondant, b/c it needs to be very soft and pliable. For each flower, cut 5 equal lengths of rope and shape them into petals (use more or less depending on the number of petals). You can leave the petals rounded or pinch the ends to get the pointy shape. If you want more than one layer of petal, cut another 5 pieces of rope just a bit longer than the first and shape them around the first set of petals. Once your petals are done, pinch them all together in the center and add a ball of fondant for the center of the flower (I just use a paintbrush with water to make it all stick together). If you are going to do flowers for the edge of the cake, leave a petal off so that you have a 90 degree angle. Let everything dry really well. Oh - if you're using the strips of fondant, let them dry on their edges so they don't flatten. If you don't have a clay gun, you could roll your fondant and cut it into equal strips, and that would give you the same result.

I think that is pretty much it. They were a bit time consuming until I got the hang of it, but then they came along quickly. One note about the clay gun - if you get one, go with the plastic. I bought a cheap metal one at AC Moore - once I got it home, I quickly discovered that it was not food safe. The plastic one I have came from Michaels, and I think it cost between $6 and $8 (less with coupon). It's in the clay section and it's bright green. Hope this helps - happy caking!

Bec

beachcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
beachcakes Posted 29 Jul 2007 , 12:16am
post #24 of 36

Wow!! Great job! I have been wanting to do a quilled cake for a year!! icon_smile.gif

katwomen1up Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
katwomen1up Posted 29 Jul 2007 , 2:01am
post #25 of 36

Thanks so much Bec!! It looks like so much fun, Im looking forward to getting started! I went to Michaels today and they didn't have one. Will try another one.

Thanks Again ~)
Kat

cakesbyjess Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesbyjess Posted 29 Jul 2007 , 5:45am
post #26 of 36

Bec!!!!! Your cake is gorgeous!!! I love the look of quilling, and you really did a fantastic job!!! I'm saving it to my favorites! thumbs_up.gif

cupcake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cupcake Posted 29 Jul 2007 , 10:16am
post #27 of 36

icon_smile.gif Very nice and neat work. Like your colors.

beachcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
beachcakes Posted 29 Jul 2007 , 11:39am
post #28 of 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by i_heart_pastry

One note about the clay gun - if you get one, go with the plastic. I bought a cheap metal one at AC Moore - once I got it home, I quickly discovered that it was not food safe. The plastic one I have came from Michaels, and I think it cost between $6 and $8 (less with coupon). It's in the clay section and it's bright green. Hope this helps - happy caking!

Bec

that reminds me - i bought the silver metal one at Michaels and the silvering inside flaked off into the fondant! Luckily I was using white and could see it! thumbsdown.gif

Dixiegal01 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Dixiegal01 Posted 29 Jul 2007 , 12:01pm
post #29 of 36

Bec, your cake is fantastic!!!!

fluttercakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
fluttercakes Posted 29 Jul 2007 , 12:11pm
post #30 of 36

OMG, I love it! I just knew I needed a clay gun...now I have a reason! Great job!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%