Making Gumpaste Flowers

Decorating By thecakemaker Updated 18 Jan 2005 , 8:40pm by MrsMissey

thecakemaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
thecakemaker Posted 18 Jan 2005 , 7:20pm
post #1 of 8

I live in Maryland in the Bel Air area ~ does anyone out there know of anyone near me that might teach gumpaste flower making? I've looked everywhere I thought might teach it and I've even contacted Wilton to see if they have any instructors in my area. I've taught myself some flowers but would love to have someone that knows what they're doing show me. With a full time job and a family it's hard to be able to travel out of the area for any length of time to take a class.

Thanks for your help!
Debbie icon_cool.gif

7 replies
MrsMissey Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MrsMissey Posted 18 Jan 2005 , 7:59pm
post #2 of 8

Hello the cakemaker...you're talking my territory now!!!!!!! We used to live in Bel air and Abingdon, Md! Thngas are really building up around there! The last time I was up there I saw a little store where the Battery Warehouse used to be, in that shopping center next to Harford Mall, I think the road is Tollgate Rd. The other place that might have classes in the Cake Cottage down Bel Air Road. It's in Perry Hall, so that one would be a drive for you. Good Luck, happy baking , Missey!

thecakemaker Posted 18 Jan 2005 , 8:05pm
post #3 of 8

Thanks ~ the place next to the mall is Stephanie's Sweets. I frequent the place along with the Cake Cottage! Stephanie's been saying she is going to offer a class for the last year but it hasn't happened yet. The Cake Cottage teaches but hasn't offered a gumpaste flowers class. I asked but they didn't seem to be interested in offering it any time soon. She did mention that she had to travel out of the area to take her class. Maybe they don't want the competition! icon_surprised.gif)

Things really are building up around here! I was born and raised here and it doesn't even resemble the Bel Air I grew up in.

Thanks for your help!
Debbie

MrsMissey Posted 18 Jan 2005 , 8:11pm
post #4 of 8

Awh...that's ashame about that classes! I"m having the same problem down here. I had to travel 60 miles one way to take the Wilton classes, but it was worth it! I'm also looking to take some advance classes but haven't had any luck either.

My mother-in-law still lives up in Darlington and we came thru Bel Air for the holidays...wow, what a difference!!

thecakemaker Posted 18 Jan 2005 , 8:17pm
post #5 of 8

I took Wilton I and II at Michael's. I signed up for III but never went. I wish I had taken the classes at the Cake Cottage instead. They do their own thing not Wilton so they're not pushing Wilton. Don't get me wrong ~ Wilton has a lot of nice things but they design their classes around their products and they're not necessarily the best way to go. My instructor wasn't the best either. I think she used the class to blow off steam from home instead of being a happy "let's decorate" kind of instructor. There were only 3 people in the classes though which made it more one on one.

Are you originally from this area? Never know - we may know each other!

Happy Decorating!
Debbie

MrsMissey Posted 18 Jan 2005 , 8:24pm
post #6 of 8

You should, if possible take that final course. It's good "hands on" if nothing else. I know what you mean about "pushing" the Wilton stuff. My instructor was pretty much the same way.

I was born and raised in Maryland moved to Harford Co. in the eighties, my hubby (who seems to know everyone!) was raised in Darlington. Back when we lived in MD, I was a hairdresser and he worked for Schaeffer & Strominger---I'm sure you are familiar with that name since they have seemed to take over Bel Air Rd!!! Where abouts in Bel Air are you? I miss Bel Air!! I cried to two years when we moved down here to rural VA..but I'm ok with it now!

thecakemaker Posted 18 Jan 2005 , 8:31pm
post #7 of 8

I was born and raised on Prospect Mill Rd (near Harford Community College) but live in Joppa now just outside of Fallston on Mountain Rd. I know a lot of people from up that way. send me an e-mail [email protected] is my home address.

Debbie

MrsMissey Posted 18 Jan 2005 , 8:40pm
post #8 of 8

E-mail sent! icon_biggrin.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%