Wilton Cake Classes

Decorating By dalechick12 Updated 28 Jul 2007 , 3:48pm by dalechick12

dalechick12 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dalechick12 Posted 27 Jul 2007 , 9:05pm
post #1 of 7

Hi there i will be taking the wilton cake classes in 2 weeks and was just wondering what to expect. do you have to bake a cake for each class or do you use pans or dummy cakes.

6 replies
Letmebeurdesignr Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Letmebeurdesignr Posted 27 Jul 2007 , 9:14pm
post #2 of 7

Hi dalechick, i took wilton course 1 last month..i had to bake a cake for 3 outta 4 classes...didnt bake one the first night but baked one every night after...my instructor told me that we could use a dummy cake but it is strickly up to your instructor..i would ask during the 1st night about using a dummy cake...i am taking course 2 now and will be baking a cake for my final class next week...ive only had to bake 1 cake for course 2..

Stefy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Stefy Posted 27 Jul 2007 , 9:27pm
post #3 of 7

When I taught the Wilton classes I left that soley up to the participants. They could bake a cake for class 2, 3 and 4 - I let them use dummies if they wanted to and I even let them just practice on wax paper. I took the approach that since the classes and the supplies needed can get to be a little expensive and most people work that whatever was easier for the students was fine by me. I never had any complaints

Lorendabug Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lorendabug Posted 27 Jul 2007 , 9:47pm
post #4 of 7

I know at some stores they will give you a list of supplies you will need for the class. But, usually in the first class you will find out.

Have fun and enjoy yourself!

mandyscraftycreations Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mandyscraftycreations Posted 27 Jul 2007 , 11:49pm
post #5 of 7

In my Wilton class 1 we baked 2 cakes and 12 cupcakes. In the 2nd course we only had to bake 1 cake. When they give you the list of supplies for course 1 don't buy anything but the Course 1 pack and the Course 1 book. I bought everything and then ended up returning a bunch of the stuff. Go to the first class and see what you really need and what you want to buy. Don't forget to have fun!
Amanda

CelebrationsbyLori Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CelebrationsbyLori Posted 28 Jul 2007 , 2:16am
post #6 of 7

In my classes I insist on students bringing real cakes to decorate. Icing a dummy and piping on practice boards just doesn't give the same effect as a real cake. Course 1 is a cake on days 2, 3, & 4. Course 2 is a cake only on day 4 and Course 3 is a cake on day 2 & a small wedding cake on day 4. If you are given the option, bring a real cake, you'll get much better practice on it and after all, that's what you'll be working on later!
-Lori

dalechick12 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dalechick12 Posted 28 Jul 2007 , 3:48pm
post #7 of 7

thanks for the replys. i apperacite them. i will make a real cake and then take it in to work the next day, they will love it. free food for them.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%