(Just For Fun) How Many Character Cake Pans Do You Own?

Decorating By mthiberge Updated 2 Oct 2006 , 3:31am by imakecakes

mthiberge Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mthiberge Posted 22 Sep 2006 , 3:04am
post #1 of 28

How many character pans do you own?? Which is your favorite?? Which is your least favorite??

I have 30... icon_surprised.gif Don't tell my DH to be though...I hide them well icon_lol.gif
My favorite is wilton's little hero pan, he is SO VERSATILE!! My least favorite...I ended up with a Telatubby pan icon_confused.gif Don't laugh, it was in a bundle from a garage sale...

27 replies
cakesondemand Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesondemand Posted 22 Sep 2006 , 3:13am
post #2 of 28

non I don't do character cakes since I sell my cakes.

Phoov Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Phoov Posted 22 Sep 2006 , 3:15am
post #3 of 28

One....a Hollie Hobbie pan from decades ago when I was in college!

ANGELA0520 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ANGELA0520 Posted 22 Sep 2006 , 3:16am
post #4 of 28

I have almost every novelty pan put out by Wilton. I have purchased them from other people going out of businesss and on Ebay in lots. I would say I have at least 100. My DH says well over.

auntsushi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
auntsushi Posted 22 Sep 2006 , 3:17am
post #5 of 28

None right now. Only ever had a Winnie the Pooh pan for my daughter's first birthday, which was 28 years ago !!! I didn't do cake decorating for many years but am just now starting to get back into it. It seems to me that "nowadays" there are so many more options for doing cakes than there were years ago ....and I love it. I don't think I'll buy any character pans unless someone is really dying to have one.

debrab Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
debrab Posted 22 Sep 2006 , 3:24am
post #6 of 28

I have over 100 right now. My husband thinks he will find them in his sock drawer one day. He thinks I have them every where!!

Even though I don't use them often, I am addicted to them. It is hard to pick a favorite. They are all so cute!! I love Marvin the Martian so I guess he would have to be my favorite. I just found the Smurf pan at a yard sale and made it for my BF B-day. It turned out very cute!! Now I am on a quest for Smurfette. icon_smile.gif

My least favorite are the Barbie pans. It is not worth making if you don't have the plastic piece. Since I find most of mine at yard sales, I only have 1 Barbie with a plastic face.

mbelgard Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mbelgard Posted 22 Sep 2006 , 3:26am
post #7 of 28

I have about 10 of the actual cartoon type and a total of about 40 shaped pans.

My 2 favorites are Rainbow Brite and Strawberry Shortcake (the old one). My sister and MIL found them for me at yard sales, I've made Rainbow Brite and should use Strawberry Shortcake at some point but I want them mainly to hang on the wall and admire. I played with both when I was little. icon_lol.gif

cakelady1994 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakelady1994 Posted 22 Sep 2006 , 3:35am
post #8 of 28

I have 350+! icon_lol.gif

I'd have to say that I like them all about the same, except for Barney. tapedshut.gif

I started collecting them in 1994 and have continued to this day. Always looking for more!

pattycakescookies Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pattycakescookies Posted 22 Sep 2006 , 3:38am
post #9 of 28

I don't own any because they seem very time consuming to put soooo many stars just to fill them in although now I am considering getting the spiderman pan for my son's birthday cake. I think he would be tickled pink if I did and if he's happy then I guess its worth the work.

doescakestoo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
doescakestoo Posted 22 Sep 2006 , 3:41am
post #10 of 28

I quit counting at 500. Yes 500, and my hubby has helped me collect. He goies to swap meets and so he kinda knows how many. But who's counting: icon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gif

lhmoore Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lhmoore Posted 22 Sep 2006 , 3:42am
post #11 of 28

WOW 350+ cakelady. I would be out of my house if I had bought that many. I only own 20. My favorite is the old Care Bear pan. My least favorite is the Barbie.

mthiberge Posted 22 Sep 2006 , 3:47am
post #12 of 28

350 plus!!!!! If I ever get busted I'm showing my DH to be, that post...LOL. I have 30 and I thought I had lots.
I don't know what they're worth in the states, but in Canada I pay 20$ per pan...350 pans is 7000$ worth of pans...You are my hero!! Where do you keep them all?? I'd love to hang out in your storage room just to see what I would find!! WOW!!

debrab Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
debrab Posted 22 Sep 2006 , 3:49am
post #13 of 28

Debiashwood and Cakelady-Amazing!! How do you store all those pans? You are my heroes thumbs_up.gif I have a huge list of pans that I am searching for and maybe someday, I will have as many as you. I am so addicted to them. Even if I never use them, I just want to have them!! I guess I could have worse hobbies. Cake decorating is expensive, but when I was scrapbooking all the time, I think I spent more money on that!!

mthiberge Posted 22 Sep 2006 , 3:50am
post #14 of 28

500!! Oh my...oh my...deep breath...deep breath...that's like 10 000$ in pans. Clearly I need to get a second job just to compete with you guys...I have SOOO many more to collect...where to start...where to start???

jo_ann Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jo_ann Posted 22 Sep 2006 , 4:13am
post #15 of 28

I have close to 100 character and novelty pans. My favorite is Lambchop and my least favorite is Barney

dolfin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dolfin Posted 22 Sep 2006 , 4:26am
post #16 of 28

5, only used 2 then learned about sculpting cakes and I hate doing the gazillion stars. There are so many other options as aunt sushi said.

Bumps Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Bumps Posted 22 Sep 2006 , 8:21pm
post #17 of 28

I must have 250 plus I am sure. Don't use them much anymore, to time consuming, Someday I will get rid of them.

gina1221 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
gina1221 Posted 22 Sep 2006 , 8:30pm
post #18 of 28

I think that I have about 35 character pans (I, along with many others, hide them well from DH) tapedshut.gif

My favorite is probably the 3D bear (so many other uses than just a bear).

My least favorite would have to be Rugrats (part of a lot bought from eBay)...

... or maybe an old 3D lamb with the ears sticking out from the sides - looks a bit evil. icon_evil.gif

awela Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
awela Posted 25 Sep 2006 , 2:54pm
post #19 of 28

In the 4 years that I'd been into cake decorating, I have accumulated 211 pans. Alot of them are discontinued which I bought on Ebay all along. The problem with this is to organize them. My basement's walls are filled with them. I organized them by gender/occassion, etc. When I acquire a new one, I hide it from him so this way he never notices. LOL However, beware of Ebay sellers, I just had a bad experience with them, after being their customer for so many years. I like them all.

jamiet Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jamiet Posted 26 Sep 2006 , 4:16am
post #20 of 28

None- it's much more fun to shape the characters out of sheet cakes and round cakes. And it's cheaper too. The less you spend on pans the more profit you make on your cakes!! icon_smile.gif

mariecar6 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mariecar6 Posted 26 Sep 2006 , 4:24am
post #21 of 28

My goodness! I am in awe! I thought I had a lot of pans - and I ONLY have about 26!
I've done Disney Princess and Strawberry Shortcake so many times, that I do them almost automatically. Does that make them my favorites? My least favorite of all is Thomas the Tank.
This week I'll be buying a new pan - Cars.
As Jamiet said, I also do most of my characters from a sheet cake.
Marie

edencakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
edencakes Posted 28 Sep 2006 , 2:50pm
post #22 of 28

I don't have any, but I really WANT the 3D lamb... I just haven't found a reason to buy it yet.

darandon Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
darandon Posted 28 Sep 2006 , 3:01pm
post #23 of 28

I only have about 5 - a star, scooby doo, mini 3d bear, beer mug, and a football. I have them hanging in the stairway to my basement.

sprtd76 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sprtd76 Posted 28 Sep 2006 , 3:02pm
post #24 of 28

I have about 70 pans. My Dad keeps picking them up at various flea markets and yard sales. I won't complain because they have been cheap.

Edencakes,
I have 3 3D lamb pans, if you would like I could send you one. PM me if you are interested and we can work out details.

Thanks,
Beth

mommachris Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mommachris Posted 1 Oct 2006 , 11:03pm
post #25 of 28

as I'm reading these posts, I am reminded that when you start hiding something from your spouse then you have a problem, could we say and pan addiction!

Muhahaha...

those of you with coat closets full of cabbage patch doll, rocking horse and the dreaded barney pan.... seek help before it is too late.

( me being in a goofy mood icon_lol.gif )

mommachris

Granpam Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Granpam Posted 1 Oct 2006 , 11:14pm
post #26 of 28

I have 3 from many years ago. the ice cream cone a cat and Hollie Hobbie. I played at decorating back when my girls were little. I did a Strawberry shortcake drawing on a cake before wilton came out with the pan.

sara1596 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sara1596 Posted 1 Oct 2006 , 11:14pm
post #27 of 28

I don't really use them but I have a truck, Dora,a bunny, a snowman, and tweedy.

Sara

imakecakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
imakecakes Posted 2 Oct 2006 , 3:31am
post #28 of 28

I only have about 30-like so many others, I thought that was ALOT. I guess it is, if you talk to my friends and family, but compared to the pros here...... Well, then there's just no comparison.

I use my ball pan the most - for a lot more than just sports, too. I want the 3D Nascar race car pans that come as a kit, but haven't been able to justify the $30 price tag yet. I know I would use it a lot tho', if I had it. I would also love the Dumbo pan, if I ever came across it.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%