Opinion

Decorating By loli Updated 29 Jul 2007 , 12:06am by beachcakes

Carson Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Carson Posted 28 Jul 2007 , 5:10am
post #31 of 48

I am a guilty one that has posted a "how much" thread, but I usually get really good advice and it helps me price future cakes. Yes, I have already told customers my price, and it will start to go up with experience and I always worry I will ANNOY people. I try to answer other's posts about pricing because of this reason...

Loli - I am too afraid to try a topsy turvy cake yet, but make sure you charge (and I realize its for a friend and you are not charging) what you feel its worth to you. It is a very good start and I would charge at least $2.00 per serving - it looks like a lot of work!! Keep in mind I charge fairly low compared to a lot of people here, but I'm trying hard to gain experience (and get as good as others here) to up my price a bit!

loli Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
loli Posted 28 Jul 2007 , 5:28am
post #32 of 48

I am a beginer and i am very thankful for all critisism and all replys.

tyty Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tyty Posted 28 Jul 2007 , 5:32am
post #33 of 48

Loli, I really like your cake, I think you did a great job for a newbie. I love the color combo and look forward to seeing the finished cake.

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 28 Jul 2007 , 5:34am
post #34 of 48

I guess I've been around long enough to qualify as a "veteran" on here, and I, for one, do not get tired of pricing questions. In the short year I've been on here, I've learned a lot about pricing myself and I've been doing this for a long, long time!

I agree that sometimes we are missing some information that may be needed to help with the pricing question, but until that piece of advice is posted, then we don't learn the better way to make an inquiry .... with good information so a quick answer can be given.

So I think notjustcake's response was very helpful in that she shared information on how to post a question to get some good responses. I don't recall anyone ever really spelling it out like that before, and that's how we all progress and learn in here.

----------------------------

As far as pricing, I won't attempt to price this one because I don't do this style of cake and I don't work in fondant. But I would suggest having at least some kind of base price per serving, (such as 55 servings x $2 per serving = $110 base price) then add'l charges could be added for elements that are extra cost or effort. At least it would give you an idea of what price range to start in.

Stefy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Stefy Posted 28 Jul 2007 , 3:27pm
post #35 of 48

The title of her post was OPINION and she asked how much she would charge. I gave her my opinion by saying that I would be upset if I had paid $350 for that cake. I wasn't condescending at all when I posted it BUT NOW I AM. People want honest opinions on this site but don't want to hear the truth. The majority of the people that post their opinions give the standard "that's cute." I'm sorry, I don't work that way. Yes, I should have followed it up with some advice that would make it a better cake - I totally agree with that and next time I give an opinion I will take that into consideration.

If I asked for an opinion on one of my cakes I totally want someone to be completely honest with me and not give me some sugary sweet bull crap response because their afraid to tell me the truth. WHY BOTHER ASKING!!

My motto in life is "I'd rather you hurt my feelings with the true than spare them for a lie." I guess more people would just rather be lied to. My Bad!!

FromScratch Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FromScratch Posted 28 Jul 2007 , 3:47pm
post #36 of 48

It's also hard because English is not her native language.. so a little slack would be nice.

I am all for constructive criticism, but I really don't think she was yelling THANKS FOR YOUR OPINION even if it was in all caps.. it's hard typing in a language that isn't your native tongue and coming across as you intended to. icon_biggrin.gif

Kelrak Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kelrak Posted 28 Jul 2007 , 3:50pm
post #37 of 48

I don't know a thing about pricing, but I'm impressed by her generosity, and her bravery to attempt a 3 tier topsy turvy cake as a beginner!

Loli, I'm sure you will get many thanks. Good luck if you're thinking about going into business.

SophieBelle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SophieBelle Posted 28 Jul 2007 , 3:52pm
post #38 of 48

Hi, Loli! Your cake is very cute and for a beginner it looks really great! You have the imagination and creativity, that's for sure. We learn something with every cake we do, and every time you do one it will look better and better.

About pricing, I'm clueless. I just know your friend is lucky to have a friend a like you!!! I wish someone would make me a cake like that!

imnamor95 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
imnamor95 Posted 28 Jul 2007 , 4:23pm
post #39 of 48

Oh well, I think this cake is flippin' SPECTACULAR! I wouldn't have guessed, from the pic, that u were a newbie! I would DEF be charging close to the $250-$300 mark. Good luck on ur future cakes!
As for the harsh comments...I really find NO need for them! There is such a thing as "constructive criticism", y don't u look it up in the dictionary? icon_rolleyes.gif

Eggshells Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Eggshells Posted 28 Jul 2007 , 4:35pm
post #40 of 48

to price a cake you need to figure out exactly how much you put into it. Including your hours.

Then you can go from there, multiply by 2x or 2.5x's or 3 times to get your profit.

Simple retail is about 2 1/2 time what you paid.

JulieR Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JulieR Posted 28 Jul 2007 , 6:29pm
post #41 of 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by jkalman

I am all for constructive criticism, but I really don't think she was yelling THANKS FOR YOUR OPINION even if it was in all caps.. it's hard typing in a language that isn't your native tongue and coming across as you intended to. icon_biggrin.gif

This was my interpretation as well. I don't think she was being sarcastic.

CarolAnn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CarolAnn Posted 28 Jul 2007 , 6:50pm
post #42 of 48

I believe we all need to remember, no matter how much experience we have, that we were ALL newbies at one time. I'm not just talking about this website. When someone asks for an opinion/input on a cake they've made very few are really saying "hit me with your best shot" and expecting or wanting brutal honesty. Sure we need to be honest but come on let's stop and think before we just whomp on someone (and I'm not referring to anyone in particular) who's looking for some positive reinforcement when they're just starting out. Not everyone here is going to go into big time cake business, many are just doing it for a hobby or a little spending money. A lot probably won't ever even charge for their cakes.

Personally I don't get annoyed with the repeat questions about pricing etc because it IS hard to establish your pricing and stick to it. It's extremely helpful to see the price charts that others use. Many times when I see these questions come up I'll click on them to see the pic and and maybe leave a comment.

I have seen some harsh comments made here from time to time and I don't think they are EVER necessary. I personally know people who say "if you can't handle the truth don't ask for it" and believe me feelings and relationships can sustain major damage because some feel that because they have their opinion they ought to blurt it out no matter what for the sake of "being honest". I happen to believe that kindness should be the basis for all that I say and do. I'm not a wishy washy person though or a doormat to anybody.

I have more experience and maybe talent than some here but there are many here who have more of the same than I have or will ever have. I'm just hanging out here to learn, encourage and be encouraged in something that I love to do, decorating cakes. CAKES! It's not cellular biology it's cakes and fun and good eats. For some it's bigger $ than for others. I am continually impressed by members here who are blessed with such grand decorating talent yet also care to encourage others and yes learn from what goes on at CC.

loli, I think your cake looks really good. As scarey as it might seem (it is to me anyway) I do think your fondant needs to be rolled a little thinner. Your colors are great and the design is fun. Your friend is lucky to have an up and coming cake decorator friend who can turn out a great freebie just for her. She'd better enjoy it now cause when you get ready to start charging she'll need to pay up just like the others waiting for a cake from you. So keep it up, you're doing good!

I know this is going on and on but I have one more thing I want to say. Every now and then someone starts crabbing about the comments people leave about cakes. They insinuate that comments like "cute cake", "good job", "great cake", "nice job" or "beautiful" are just BS comments because they don't want to give their REAL opinion. The truth is when I see cake pics I'm thinking "now that's really cute!" or wow, that's just beautiful" or "oh my gosh that just takes my breath away!" THAT'S why I comment as I do. I don't care what the rest of you think when you read my comments about someone else's cake. I care about the person who posted their picture for all to see. My comment is sincere and everyone else can think what they want. I don't appreciate having my well meaning sincere comment being called insincere or BS just because it's the same thing that popped into the heads of a bunch of other people on here.

Yes honesty is best. NO hurtful comments don't encourage or make us feel better, they just hurt.

i_heart_pastry Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
i_heart_pastry Posted 28 Jul 2007 , 6:56pm
post #43 of 48

I think your cake looks great for a beginner! I know a lot of experienced decorators that are terrified of fondant! I'm also just starting to sell cakes and pricing is one of the hardest parts for me. Like the others said, there are many components including where you live. Some of the prices that others CCers charge would just not fly where I live - a neighbor just asked me if I could make a 250-serving wedding cake for 1.25 a slice, which is what another local decorator quoted her (um, NO WAY!). Some of the constructive advice I've seen on CC is to call around to local bakeries and find out what they are charging. Once you get some more experience and decide that you want to go into business, you can also find good advice here about how to start up. Most of the folks on CC are perfectly willing to help out, b/c they remember that we were all new at this once!

Good luck & keep showing us your pictures!

Bec

PS - Well said, Carol Ann!

vitomiriam Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
vitomiriam Posted 28 Jul 2007 , 7:04pm
post #44 of 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarolAnn

I believe we all need to remember, no matter how much experience we have, that we were ALL newbies at one time. I'm not just talking about this website. When someone asks for an opinion/input on a cake they've made very few are really saying "hit me with your best shot" and expecting or wanting brutal honesty. Sure we need to be honest but come on let's stop and think before we just whomp on someone (and I'm not referring to anyone in particular) who's looking for some positive reinforcement when they're just starting out. Not everyone here is going to go into big time cake business, many are just doing it for a hobby or a little spending money. A lot probably won't ever even charge for their cakes.

Personally I don't get annoyed with the repeat questions about pricing etc because it IS hard to establish your pricing and stick to it. It's extremely helpful to see the price charts that others use. Many times when I see these questions come up I'll click on them to see the pic and and maybe leave a comment.

I have seen some harsh comments made here from time to time and I don't think they are EVER necessary. I personally know people who say "if you can't handle the truth don't ask for it" and believe me feelings and relationships can sustain major damage because some feel that because they have their opinion they ought to blurt it out no matter what for the sake of "being honest". I happen to believe that kindness should be the basis for all that I say and do. I'm not a wishy washy person though or a doormat to anybody.

I have more experience and maybe talent than some here but there are many here who have more of the same than I have or will ever have. I'm just hanging out here to learn, encourage and be encouraged in something that I love to do, decorating cakes. CAKES! It's not cellular biology it's cakes and fun and good eats. For some it's bigger $ than for others. I am continually impressed by members here who are blessed with such grand decorating talent yet also care to encourage others and yes learn from what goes on at CC.

loli, I think your cake looks really good. As scarey as it might seem (it is to me anyway) I do think your fondant needs to be rolled a little thinner. Your colors are great and the design is fun. Your friend is lucky to have an up and coming cake decorator friend who can turn out a great freebie just for her. She'd better enjoy it now cause when you get ready to start charging she'll need to pay up just like the others waiting for a cake from you. So keep it up, you're doing good!

I know this is going on and on but I have one more thing I want to say. Every now and then someone starts crabbing about the comments people leave about cakes. They insinuate that comments like "cute cake", "good job", "great cake", "nice job" or "beautiful" are just BS comments because they don't want to give their REAL opinion. The truth is when I see cake pics I'm thinking "now that's really cute!" or wow, that's just beautiful" or "oh my gosh that just takes my breath away!" THAT'S why I comment as I do. I don't care what the rest of you think when you read my comments about someone else's cake. I care about the person who posted their picture for all to see. My comment is sincere and everyone else can think what they want. I don't appreciate having my well meaning sincere comment being called insincere or BS just because it's the same thing that popped into the heads of a bunch of other people on here.

Yes honesty is best. NO hurtful comments don't encourage or make us feel better, they just hurt.

THANK YOU! You took the words right out of my mouth. I've read Loli's posts over and over and don't understand how they could be misconstrued.

If you're offended by someone asking for pricing. Move on to another post.

It's unbelievable how hostile some of these posts get. I understand honesty. I just don't understand rudeness.

Honestly, in the end ladies, we're just chatting about cakes.

bakerchick Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bakerchick Posted 28 Jul 2007 , 7:06pm
post #45 of 48

Hi Loli
The cake looks great with really good detail. You can tell you've put a lot of effort into it and don't forget you'll only get better the more cakes you make. thumbs_up.gif icon_biggrin.gif I think you did a great job with this cake, I would probably charge around $160 - $180 for this cake, thats around $2 per slice, if you get about 60 slices from it. I am also a newbie and only started making cakes this year so I know where your comming from. What i do is make the cake and work out how much it cost me to make inlcuding toppers and ribbons etc, and how many people it will feed. Then I come up with a price that I think is reasonable. I'm not charging the high end at all because my cakes are not worth the top money, but I really enjoy making cakes and if I can make at least 3X my money back I'm happy! so my cakes generally cost around $30-$60 to make. I find if I can stick to a good cost price then you can be consistent in charging, then as you get better you can still keep the cost around the same BUT charge more for the same product icon_rolleyes.gif icon_lol.gif . I hope this helps, and don't worry about the critics, I think they forget they were newbies and maybe needed a bit of help at the start too tapedshut.gif : icon_redface.gif !!! keep up the good work! thumbs_up.gif icon_wink.gif

LauraS Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LauraS Posted 28 Jul 2007 , 7:07pm
post #46 of 48

you did a great job for being new, I have not done a whimsy cake, but look forward to trying one, and with out a doubt I am sure you will get a HUGE THANK YOU and a hug i bet.

Good Job.

cmeridge Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cmeridge Posted 28 Jul 2007 , 7:50pm
post #47 of 48

The cake looks great. I am a newbie, just started in Feb. I couldn't imagine doing a cake like that yet. You should be proud of your work. You know there is a lot to learn. But hey we can only claim to be new for a short amount of time. Why not get the most help and opinion while we are new. icon_razz.gif thumbs_up.gif

beachcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
beachcakes Posted 29 Jul 2007 , 12:06am
post #48 of 48

Lolli, I think your friend will love it - she's very lucky to have you! I love the colors. You really did a great job on it - I would not have known you were a newbie. I still have not attempted a topsy-turvy cake and I'm a not-so-newbie! icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%