Opinion

Decorating By loli Updated 29 Jul 2007 , 12:06am by beachcakes

loli Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
loli Posted 27 Jul 2007 , 5:09pm
post #1 of 48

Hi

i want to know how much you think will cost this cake that i made for my friend? i will not charge nothink just to know for my self!

i still need to add the topper and letters.
and i will like to know your opinion about this cake? what i need to improve?
size 8/9/10 6/7/8 and 5/6/7

thanks alot!
LL

47 replies
hmarie_73 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
hmarie_73 Posted 27 Jul 2007 , 5:17pm
post #2 of 48

I'm not sure what you are asking, exactly...

Are you asking how much to charge your friend?

I will give you a bump and add another question...

Is it just me, or does it seem like no one ever wants to answer a "how much should I charge question"

And when one does ask the question it seems like they always start with I'm sorry, or so sorry to ask this...

Being new here I'm begining to wonder if the CC population views this as "taboo"?

leily Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leily Posted 27 Jul 2007 , 5:21pm
post #3 of 48

What sizes are each tier?
What flavor of cake?
Is there a filling in each tier?

These answers will help us to figure out the cost of the cake.

oh and are you asking what you should charge someone for them to pay you? Or how much it will cost for you to make it?

lardbutt Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lardbutt Posted 27 Jul 2007 , 5:25pm
post #4 of 48

I really have no idea that's why I never respond to these questions. I wouldn't have a problem giving my opinion, but I've never made a topsy turvy cake.....Sorry.

I'm sure it depends on the area you live in also. The cost of a cake where I live would be way different from a big city town like Atlanta or somewhere else.

JMHO- Sherri icon_smile.gif

MichelleM77 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MichelleM77 Posted 27 Jul 2007 , 5:29pm
post #5 of 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by hmarie_73

Being new here I'm begining to wonder if the CC population views this as "taboo"?

It's not taboo, there are just way too many variables to answer the question, in my opinion.

loli Posted 27 Jul 2007 , 5:34pm
post #6 of 48

i wanted to know your opinion about this cake

layers are 8/9/10 6/7/8 and 5/6/7

i will not charge nothink for this cake is for my fiend party
i just wanted to know for my self how much will cost?
and what i need to improve it?
on the top will be a eeyore topper

all opinions welkome

sorry for my poor english

icon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gif

JulieBee Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JulieBee Posted 27 Jul 2007 , 5:36pm
post #7 of 48

I for one make cakes only for family and friends; therefore, I would have no idea how to charge.

Julie

jenbenjr Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jenbenjr Posted 27 Jul 2007 , 5:36pm
post #8 of 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by MichelleM77

Quote:
Originally Posted by hmarie_73

It's not taboo, there are just way too many variables to answer the question, in my opinion.

I agree!

nanahaley Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nanahaley Posted 27 Jul 2007 , 5:43pm
post #9 of 48

I only make cakes for family and very close friends so I couldn't help you as far as pricing. I do think your cake is nice. I like the colors. Would like to see it with the Eeyore topper on it. I'm sure your friend will be thrilled with it. Welcome to CC!!!

loli Posted 27 Jul 2007 , 5:47pm
post #10 of 48

thanks!

roxxxy_luvs_duff Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
roxxxy_luvs_duff Posted 27 Jul 2007 , 5:48pm
post #11 of 48

id charge $100

PhishTech Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
PhishTech Posted 27 Jul 2007 , 5:50pm
post #12 of 48

I live in the Seattle area, so we could probably charge at minimum $350.00 for this cake.

I am guessing it will cost you for supplies with out the pans about $150.00 to make this cake. I am making one for a wedding in September and I think thats a high estimate of what mine is going to take.

I am really new at charging for cakes. I just blurted out $3/slice for this wedding cake and I have decided on $40.00 for a simply deocrated 8" round, 3" high with 3 layers of fiilling.

Hope this helps

mixinvixen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mixinvixen Posted 27 Jul 2007 , 5:53pm
post #13 of 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhishTech

I live in the Seattle area, so we could probably charge at minimum $350.00 for this cake.

I am guessing it will cost you for supplies with out the pans about $150.00 to make this cake. I am making one for a wedding in September and I think thats a high estimate of what mine is going to take.

I am really new at charging for cakes. I just blurted out $3/slice for this wedding cake and I have decided on $40.00 for a simply deocrated 8" round, 3" high with 3 layers of fiilling.

Hope this helps

icon_eek.gif...i must be missing something, because i only saw about $40 +- worth of supplies...are you counting the cake stand too?

notjustcake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
notjustcake Posted 27 Jul 2007 , 5:53pm
post #14 of 48

What annoys me is icon_mad.gif when someone asks how much would you charge for "a picture of a cake" icon_confused.gif it's obvious it is covered in fondant icon_wink.gif but no more details please are we magicians? icon_rolleyes.gif are we supposed to guess what size cake that is, that's why I usually don't answer those questions, too much time to go back and go what size is it blah, blah, blah I click and leave that post, I am not very good at pricing myself icon_sad.gif I do ask the how much question all the time, but leave every details with it size, materials and techniques used anyways, I don't mind though telling you how much I see myself paying for that cake, icon_smile.gif I also learned to call bakeries and ask them for a quote like I was buying from them, icon_evil.gif I try not to call the same place too often icon_redface.gif I spread them out, anyways try the cakeboss for pricing it works for me, sometimes I just need to get an idea on what to charge fast, so I ask in the forums, and yes I do think some of the veterans get tired with the same old question, but that's just what I think, I never mind telling you what I would charge or would pay for your cake,
I am no expert I think your cake is great may be the purple squares could have been thinner they seem too thick for my taste, because I do not know the size I would not know what to charge but not cheap for sure that's a lot of fondant no matter what size those cakes are.

loli Posted 27 Jul 2007 , 5:55pm
post #15 of 48

Thanks PhishTech !! i just want to know onother opinions about my cake and how much is worth my work on this cake, was a pleasure to make it for my friend i will not charge nothink just a nice THANK YOU!

roxxxy_luvs_duff Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
roxxxy_luvs_duff Posted 27 Jul 2007 , 5:56pm
post #16 of 48

whoaa i wish i could charge that much for my 8in cakes. i only charge $25

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 27 Jul 2007 , 5:57pm
post #17 of 48

I'm sorry you are not getting suggestions on pricing but of course as the others said there are many things one must consider when pricing.
One way is to add up ALL costs of making, putting together such a cake then multiply by 3.5
When you add up all the costs, remember to include cakeboards, box, cake mix or scratch ingredients, supports used; anything & everything usedicon_smile.gif
A factor that greatly effects pricing is where you live. As an example, people who live in San Francisco and New York City can get at least double what someone in a small town in Iowa or MI (as examples) could charge.
On the low to middle level I would charge about $100 for such a cake, in those sizes. HTH

jewelykaye Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jewelykaye Posted 27 Jul 2007 , 6:16pm
post #18 of 48

My fondant prices start out at $2.50 a slice. However, I would add a dollar per slice due to it being a whimsical cake. So that brings us to $3.50/ slice times 78 slices (by my calculations)...total being $273.

However, you are in New York so you should be charging $4.50-6.50/slice...which would bring the total to anything between $351-$507.

I hope that helps!

canoewoman Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
canoewoman Posted 27 Jul 2007 , 6:20pm
post #19 of 48

Is does get somewhat tedious having people continually ask what should I charge for a cake. I would think that they have ALREADY told the customer a price that is why it is already made so I feel that a question like this is irrelevant. Maybe ask BEFORE the cake is made and people may be more willing to help out. It depends on area, supply cost, electricity, water etc. etc. etc. I feel that pricing should be whatever YOU feel YOUR cake is worth as you are the one that made it and are aware of the cost of everything.

chaptlps Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chaptlps Posted 27 Jul 2007 , 6:25pm
post #20 of 48

K, here's how I would break it down.
fondant cakes- no less than $3.00 USD per serving
(some areas can get more).
filling- $2-$3 per tier If your ingredients are more ex. gran marnier or some other expensive ingredient like ganache, I would charge perhaps up to $5 per tier.
toppers- if ordered, (from wilton etc.) charge cost +$5 (to cover shipping etc.)
if made- start at roughly $10 -$15 for each element (two figures would be $20-$30)
gumpaste flowers - I would charge $5 for each flower and a spray of three would be $15.
That's how I would break it down.
Each cake has a different component to it. So it depends on what you have included in your cakes. But if you break it down to each element, that helps alot in the calculating the final cost.
So, for your cake, it's three tier with fondant, so take your amount of servings x $3 (let's say for arguments sake that this cake will feed 100) so that's $300 right there and another $15 for the eeyore topper that's $315 and let's say you used strawberry filling so that's 3 tiers x $3 that's another $9 dollars. So altogether with the fondant the servings, the fillings, and the topper it would come to about $324. for that cake. If it serves 100.
I hope that helps you with your problem hun.

FromScratch Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FromScratch Posted 27 Jul 2007 , 6:45pm
post #21 of 48

I would charge a minimum of $200.00 for that cake. It would be abotu 55 servings and I would charge a minimum of $4/serving. So about $220.. with just buttercream for the filling.

loli Posted 27 Jul 2007 , 6:54pm
post #22 of 48

thanks alot !! icon_smile.gif

loli Posted 27 Jul 2007 , 7:00pm
post #23 of 48

first layer is chocolate cake with whipped vanila frosting the second and third levels are german cake with whipped chocolate frosting.

thanks for your reply!

Stefy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Stefy Posted 27 Jul 2007 , 9:53pm
post #24 of 48

[quote="PhishTech"]I live in the Seattle area, so we could probably charge at minimum $350.00 for this cake.

I would not pay $350.00 for this cake. No offense but even if the area warrants that charge (which it would where I'm from and more) I think it has a long way to go before you can pull that kind of money.

loli Posted 27 Jul 2007 , 10:21pm
post #25 of 48

Hi Stefy
i made this cake for a friend i will not charge nothing for this cake. I just wanted to know opinions about my cake i know is not perfect and has a lot of work to do more.
I wanted to know for the future what to improve and how much will be worth.

I will not charge 10 or 100 $ just a nice big THANK YOU!

THANKS FOR YOUR OPINION!

okieinalaska Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
okieinalaska Posted 28 Jul 2007 , 12:52am
post #26 of 48

Experience also should play a part in pricing in my opinion. But it's nice to see what other people would charge. : )

adven68 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
adven68 Posted 28 Jul 2007 , 1:18am
post #27 of 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by notjustcake

What annoys me is icon_mad.gif when someone asks how much would you charge for "a picture of a cake" icon_confused.gif .

A little harsh, no?....the OP is a newbie.

loli....what everyone else said...there are a lot of factors involved...
While meeting a minimum price, I charge $5.00 per serving for whimsical cakes...add $20 per tilted tier...plus the cost of a topper....ranging anywhere from $30-100 +

Stefy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Stefy Posted 28 Jul 2007 , 1:51am
post #28 of 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by loli

Hi Stefy
i made this cake for a friend i will not charge nothing for this cake. I just wanted to know opinions about my cake i know is not perfect and has a lot of work to do more.
I wanted to know for the future what to improve and how much will be worth.

I will not charge 10 or 100 $ just a nice big THANK YOU!

THANKS FOR YOUR OPINION!

You asked for an opinion - please don't ask if you don't want to hear the truth

loli Posted 28 Jul 2007 , 4:42am
post #29 of 48

HI

I guess i was misunderstood.
I am really thankful for all opinions.

Doughbelly Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Doughbelly Posted 28 Jul 2007 , 5:07am
post #30 of 48

You know...as a newbie myself...I certainly would appreciate some obvious consideration when "veterans" give advice. While it may "annoy" you to get questions about cake pricing...for loli..she is new and is asking for suggestions. She has already said that she was not going to charge for the cake...but that she wanted to know what to charge...if she were to get paid for it. Stefy...she didn't ask for criticism...she ask for suggestions. Perhaps...you should tell her what she could do to improve the looks of the cake without sounding condescending. I read through many forums every day in the hopes of bettering myself in the art of cake decorating. I rarely ask questions because I am afraid to get responses similiar to some that have been offered to loli. We have a lot to learn...but as I often tell my students...there are no dumb or ridiculous questions...just the fear of asking them.

Loli...I think your cake looks wonderful for a newbie. In the future, I would suggest rolling your fondant a bit thinner. Good Luck..I hope your friend appreciates the time and effort you put into it.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%