Questions On Ok Sugar Art Show

Decorating By trulyscrumptious Updated 14 Sep 2007 , 1:50pm by trulyscrumptious

trulyscrumptious Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
trulyscrumptious Posted 27 Jul 2007 , 3:52pm
post #1 of 27

Hi! I'm entering the OK Sugar Art Show for the first time this year and I was wondering if anyone else is going?
Is anyone from here a regular competator? I'm not sure about what all to expect and I'd love some advice!

Thanks!
~Truly

26 replies
Hippiemama Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Hippiemama Posted 27 Jul 2007 , 8:06pm
post #2 of 27

I'm going for the first time this year. I'm not competing this year. Maybe next year I will.

Andrea

trulyscrumptious Posted 30 Jul 2007 , 4:53pm
post #3 of 27

Oh cool! Maybe we'll bump into each other! That would be fun! icon_smile.gif

New question:
Okay, so I know I'm going to get this in right under the wire icon_redface.gif but I'm going to do some entries for the tasting compitition. The entry form states that entries are $10 for the first then $3 for each additional entry up to $19. Is that just for the cakes or does that include the tasting entries too?
Please! Help! icon_confused.gificon_cry.gif
Thanks!

trulyscrumptious Posted 31 Jul 2007 , 5:20pm
post #4 of 27

Well, I tried contacting someone with the show but didn't get a response from them or from anyone here either so I sent off all the money I could owe them this morning. Since the deadline is Aug. 1 I had to send it overnight, cost me almost $17! icon_eek.gif *kicks post office* icon_cry.gif Its my own fault for not taking care of this the minute I printed the form out two months ago but real life happens ya know!

Ahh well, still hoping someone can tell me more about what I'm getting myself into with this compition. I would love to hear anyone's past experiences- good or bad!

~Truly

SophieBelle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SophieBelle Posted 4 Aug 2007 , 2:49am
post #5 of 27

I'd like to hear, too, so here's a bump!

slacks2250 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
slacks2250 Posted 12 Aug 2007 , 3:27am
post #6 of 27

Here is the website. Check it out. Gives all the guidelines.
Good luck! I live close and love looking at the entries!
http://www.oklahomasugarartists.com/

playingwithsugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
playingwithsugar Posted 12 Aug 2007 , 3:35am
post #7 of 27

Kerry Vincent is the best person to direct your questions to, since it is her "baby." Her e-mail address used to be posted on the OSSAS website. She has always answered questions for my friends and myself in a prompt, delightful manner.

Theresa icon_smile.gif

cakemomne Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakemomne Posted 12 Aug 2007 , 3:38am
post #8 of 27

I'm going. Yippie!! And my dear SIL is coming from IA to go with me. Finally something we both really like, I'm terribly left brained and she is right brained. icon_lol.gificon_lol.gif

jbart Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jbart Posted 12 Aug 2007 , 3:49am
post #9 of 27

I can't wait to meet all of you. I only wish I could be good enough to compete one day. Good luck!

moydear77 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
moydear77 Posted 13 Aug 2007 , 3:14am
post #10 of 27

This is my third year competing. Let me know if you have any questions??

OhMyGanache Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
OhMyGanache Posted 13 Aug 2007 , 3:21am
post #11 of 27

I'm planning on attending - and entering... so long as I can get away from the family for 3 days. This will be my first time entering.

We'll see.

moydear77 Posted 13 Aug 2007 , 3:32am
post #12 of 27

There are new rules this year regarding the wedding cake competition. You need to be Semi Pro, Pro or Master to enter. Every year I have gone it gets harder and harder. Last year I was knocked down a few pegs. I plan to make a strong comeback!

trulyscrumptious Posted 15 Aug 2007 , 2:40am
post #13 of 27

Oh wow! icon_eek.gif Look at all the chatting going on here! Guess that's what happens when I leave my 'puter for the weekend!
Thanks to SophieBelle for the bump and slacks2250 and playingwithsugar for the kind pointers.

moydear77- would you tell me about the general environment of the competition? Are there other things to see and do besides looking at everybody elses entries?

It looks like several of us CCers are going to be going, is there a secret members handshake that we identify ourselves by at events like this? icon_wink.gificon_lol.gif

playingwithsugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
playingwithsugar Posted 15 Aug 2007 , 2:43am
post #14 of 27

It is held at the State Fair, so you can go on rides, play games. I am sure they have some free entertainment there. I have never been, but my nephew has, and he said it is huge, about 8 times the size of the one here.

Theresa icon_smile.gif

trulyscrumptious Posted 15 Aug 2007 , 2:57am
post #15 of 27

That's cool! I've never been to a State fair before, but the County fair is where I grew up! Deep fried candy bars and mozzerella sticks here I come! icon_biggrin.gif
However, I guess I was thinking more along the lines of cake/show related activities. Is there anything like that planned?

cakemomne Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakemomne Posted 15 Aug 2007 , 3:02am
post #16 of 27

Love the secret handshake idea! icon_lol.gificon_lol.gif The fair is HUGE and parking is a nightmare. I thought the cake area was way too crowded last year, then again I get claustrophobic easily if crowded by too many people. Outside of the fair, Tulsa is a great town! Lots of good shopping and eating if you get sick of the fair.

sweetteacher Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetteacher Posted 15 Aug 2007 , 3:58am
post #17 of 27

trulys, try this link for ossas schedule and lots and lots of other info:

http://www.tulsastatefair.com/fair/creativearts/documents/Pages24-45SugarArt.pdf

I'll be there. Have fun.

moydear77 Posted 15 Aug 2007 , 4:47am
post #18 of 27

The competition can be fun.crazy stressful and calm all at the same time! There is tons to do the whole weekend! Vendors and cake pics to take!

trulyscrumptious Posted 15 Aug 2007 , 6:47pm
post #19 of 27

sweetteacher- OMG! Thank you! That schedule helps me so much! I wonder why they don't include that whole thing on the OSSAS web site? icon_confused.gif Chocolate cake to you for finding it! birthday.gificon_biggrin.gif

cakemomne- icon_lol.gif Maybe we'd better come up with something a little less... bold. I've just had this terrible mental image of me getting carted off for going up and shaking random peoples hands all day. icon_lol.gif

So if I counted right that's 4? 5? of us going? Does anyone else have an idea? Ribbons, buttons, stickers, matching purple socks?

moydear77- Vendors?!! Like, I get to go shopping vendors?! *bounces* Yay! thumbs_up.gif And I'm planning on taking so many pictures it's not funny! Mom is bringing her digital and I have a shiny new SLR that is going to get some heavy use!

~Truly

moydear77 Posted 15 Aug 2007 , 7:30pm
post #20 of 27

Depends on the webiste you are going to. There is two and one is run by Kerry Vincent herself.

Sugarflowers Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sugarflowers Posted 16 Aug 2007 , 8:40pm
post #21 of 27

I'll be going again. I've been attending the show for 12 years! How crazy is that?

For those of you considering not entering a cake, please reconsider. The divisional part of the show has many levels of talent. It's a great way to learn and to show off your work. It also gets you into the fair at no charge. Entering does cost you some, but there are prize drawings, and you will probably have to find room in your vehicle for all the stuff you win and/or buy!

Please never consider your work not good enough. Just because you may not be able to compete in the Master's division, doesn't mean your work isn't fabulous. Besides, a lot of us veterans like to see what the new decorators are doing. So many have such great ideas and only need a little more practice. Beginners and first-timers bring fresh and wonderful ideas to cake decorating. We don't want to miss what you have to offer.

Okay, I'm done. I just hate to hear people think that their work is not worthy. It is.

Michele

trulyscrumptious Posted 17 Aug 2007 , 3:18pm
post #22 of 27

I just got my Nielsen-Massey vanilla products for the Queen of Tarts compition!! icon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gif
I was just telling my mom last night that I hoped my samples would get here soon cause I need to practice and here they are! They sent: 4oz. Madagascar bourbon vanilla extract, 4oz. vanilla bean paste, and 2.5oz. vanilla powder. I'm so excited! I hope the ginger and chocolate products come soon too!
Has anyone else recieved their samples?

~Truly

trulyscrumptious Posted 28 Aug 2007 , 12:15am
post #23 of 27

Well all the samples for "Queen of Tarts" are in!
The Ginger People sent some very nice products; a freeze dried powdered ginger, a ginger spread (mmmm), and ginger juice. I must admit I've had a problem with the ginger juice. The bottle says to shake before opening which I did and then opened. The whole thing went spraying like a bottle of shook up soda! icon_eek.gif I have tried calling the company's number as given on the letter that came with the package with no answer. icon_confused.gif Gonna try the email next. I'm just afraid that the product is somehow spoiled. Does anyone have experience with this product?

Guittard sent dark chocolate and vanilla buttons. They taste amazing! I was a little disapointed though, I was planning to use cocoa in a crust. Do you think that I can still do that even though it's not a Guittard product? Has anyone tried making a crust with melted chocolate?

Arrrg... I have so much to do in the next month and so little time to do it all in! I am I the only one feeling a little worried? icon_sad.gif

~Truly

deli1777 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
deli1777 Posted 28 Aug 2007 , 5:47am
post #24 of 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by trulyscrumptious

and ginger juice. I must admit I've had a problem with the ginger juice. The bottle says to shake before opening which I did and then opened. The whole thing went spraying like a bottle of shook up soda!

When I opened up the bottle of ginger juice it did the same thing... I wonder if being shipped in the summer/heat had something to do with it?

FiveAlarmBakery Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FiveAlarmBakery Posted 12 Sep 2007 , 4:21am
post #25 of 27

Oklahoma is only a couple weeks away, and out of all the girls in the bakery I work for, I was told to stay behind. I'm horribly depressed. So while the main cake decorator, another girl, and two of their friends gets to go, I'm stuck at the bakery all weekend working double shifts. I was really excited for it too.

Will everyone tell me how it went when you get back?

I think next summer I'll be able to enter on my own, which will be nice, and I wont be working for the bakery anymore. I'll be able to get "Yellow Brick Road Cakes" on the road to realization!! icon_smile.gif

Trulyscrumptious, let me know how it goes!! Best of luck!!!

PixieDiva Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
PixieDiva Posted 12 Sep 2007 , 11:11pm
post #26 of 27

Just wanted to let anyone know that was in the Oklahoma City area, that I am the new Wilton Method Instructor for the Hobby Lobby in Norman. They are running half-price tuition this month, plus free Wilton metal Halloween cookie cutters. So, if you, or anyone else you know wants to sign up for Course 1, please let me know. My class starts October 3rd from 6:00-8:00pm, and is every Wednesday after that, for a total of 4 Wednesdays. It is only $15 total for the tuition this month! Sorry for the ad in the forum, but I didn't know where else to post this, and I have to have at least 4 students in order to run my class. Thank you for any help sending students my way!!

trulyscrumptious Posted 14 Sep 2007 , 1:50pm
post #27 of 27

Hey, for anyone watching this there's a group of gals wanting to get together for dinner sometime Saturday or Sunday. The thread is over under general if your intrested- the more the merrier!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%