To Watermark Or Not To Watermark...

Baking By Oniro Updated 27 Jul 2007 , 4:00pm by KarensCookies

ShirleyW Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ShirleyW Posted 26 Jul 2007 , 11:04pm
post #31 of 36

I do think watermarks detract to a certain extent. I wish we didn't have to use them, but sometimes you just do to protect your work. There are ways around that with certain programs where people can remove the watermark, change the background a bit, whatever, I know some websites prevent you from right clicking to prevent your copying or saving the photo to your files, but I imagine there is a way around that too. I am not computer savvy enough to know how but I'm sure there are others who do. Some watermarks can be made almost transparant. They are still there, but not so bold that they spoil the photo.

marthajo1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
marthajo1 Posted 26 Jul 2007 , 11:50pm
post #32 of 36

You know I just realized that those people I named might be offended that I named them and I hope not. These are some of the people whose work here I have come to respect and enjoy! Any way... hope I didn't make anybody mad! icon_smile.gif

tiptop57 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tiptop57 Posted 27 Jul 2007 , 12:39am
post #33 of 36

marthajo, I wouldn't worry about it...this site is public. icon_wink.gif

ShirleyW Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ShirleyW Posted 27 Jul 2007 , 1:05am
post #34 of 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by marthajo1

You know I just realized that those people I named might be offended that I named them and I hope not. These are some of the people whose work here I have come to respect and enjoy! Any way... hope I didn't make anybody mad! icon_smile.gif

I'm not offended. I just don't have them on every picture in my gallery photos because I forget about half the time and then it's too late to delete the photo and start over again if more than 5 members have added that picture to their favorites.

sweetflowers Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetflowers Posted 27 Jul 2007 , 3:21pm
post #35 of 36

Shirley, if you PM Heath and let him know you want to replace it, he's real nice about it and will delete the photo for you so you can upload a new one.

As far as the programs go for removing watermarks, the only one I know of is photoshop. Although I'm sure there are others too, I know for a fact it's reallllly hard to get rid of a compressed layered watermark. Would be very tricky and I think would probably lose some of the cake itself. But like you say, it's just a deterrent, not a guarantee. I also know how to disable 'right click' on the mouse, but that doesn't stop you from copying the photo just by highlighting it. There are so many ways to get around the javascript/php code it's a wonder we don't hear more about stolen photo work.

Such a shame we even have to worry about it.

KarensCookies Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KarensCookies Posted 27 Jul 2007 , 4:00pm
post #36 of 36

It has all pretty much been said, but I just had to add my two bits. I haven't wanted to watermark my pictures-- I compromised by adding a copyright notice at the bottom of each photo. Easy to crop off, but I figure I'll make it at least a little bit of work for them! But anyway, now I'm reconsidering. I've been finding my cookie pictures all over the place, and on some surprising sites. It wouldn't bother me too much except that some of the sites I've seen them on are a lot more well known than mine is, and it compromises my integrity. If someone sees my pictures on a well-known, big site, and then sees them on my site, they could think that I'M the one stealing the pictures, and that's what bugs me. I think that's why the big names don't watermark theirs... everyone knows their cakes.

Anyway, it's funny to find this thread because I was thinking about it all day yesterday as I was madly decorating a hundred cookies for my site. The harder I worked in the heat, the madder I got at thinking of people just stealing my pictures!! icon_smile.gif I'm better today, but it was sure bugging me yesterday.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%