Can I Get An Allejuah Chorus Anyone???

Decorating By bubbles4500 Updated 26 Jul 2007 , 2:27pm by omaida

bubbles4500 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bubbles4500 Posted 26 Jul 2007 , 1:54am
post #1 of 24

Ok, so I have a "present' cake to be picked up on Saturday. I've never done a bow in my life. First attempt--made loops with gumpaste...they all cracked and looked bad..threw those away. Second attempt, made chocolate modeling clay (chocolate + corn syrup) didn't harden or set up at all to hold the loop shape. 3rd attempt, bought some gumtex and added that to some fondant, NOPE!! 4th attempt, redo the gumpaste rolled it a bit thinner and didn't use the hanging dowel method.....ALLLLEEEJJJJUUUUAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!! I'm sure there are cake angels singing somewhere in Heaven right now thankful that I finally got it right! haha

So this is a picture of my first bow...It's actually a chocolate brown color, but my 1970s counter is reflecting pretty bad and making it look orange..it's not.

I'm thrilled that its standing and in one piece..now how do I get it on to the cake???!!!

Thanks for looking...and singing!!
Anita
LL

23 replies
SueB Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SueB Posted 26 Jul 2007 , 2:13am
post #2 of 24

I have done bows before and have used candy melts to glue the loops together. Once the melts dry I can usually pick up the bow in one big piece. I put a little blob of candy melts on the cake and then set the bow in the blob. TA DA!!! Finished By the way...your bow is beautiful!

aoliveira Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
aoliveira Posted 26 Jul 2007 , 2:16am
post #3 of 24

Congrats!! It looks good and it's huge! Make sure it dries before you try to place it on the cake.

Kate714 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kate714 Posted 26 Jul 2007 , 2:22am
post #4 of 24

Awesome job! My attempt at a bow failed miserably icon_cry.gif

lardbutt Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lardbutt Posted 26 Jul 2007 , 2:25am
post #5 of 24

It's georgous! and I have no idea how to put it on the cake!

Lenore Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lenore Posted 26 Jul 2007 , 2:28am
post #6 of 24

I AM singing for your lovely bow! Now I want to make one too! How did you get the loops to hold their shape?

tyty Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tyty Posted 26 Jul 2007 , 2:31am
post #7 of 24

Your bow looks great. What did you attach the loops to? If you used the method of attaching the loops to a disk of gumpate then you wait for it to dry and just pick it up and place it on the cake.

PoodleDoodle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
PoodleDoodle Posted 26 Jul 2007 , 2:40am
post #8 of 24

It is really nice and very unusual. Don't take that as negative - I really like the different size loops and the way you have the loops on the top arranged.

As for putting it on the cake - the easiest way is to make a gumpaste disk about half the diameter of the bow and assemble the bow on it. The disk would be dried before assembling loops. That gives it a sturdy foundation and makes it a lot easier to move.

At this point, I would say try to scoot it onto a cardboard circle then position it over the cake where you want to put it and slowly slide it onto the cake. Use icing to glue it to the cake. Best if icing is same color as bow.

Good luck. Can't wait to see the cake.

homemaluhia Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
homemaluhia Posted 26 Jul 2007 , 2:40am
post #9 of 24

Yes! Alleluia!! I'd say that too but my bows never work!! Yours is great! Thanks for sharing!!!

bubbles4500 Posted 26 Jul 2007 , 3:09am
post #10 of 24

Thanks everyone!
I used cakeboss' tutorial to make this. It is all gumpaste. I used chocolate melts with layers of chocolate gumpaste disks in between. It appears very secure. I really had not clue what I was doing!!! I just kept looking at it from the top to see that it was circular and centered the whole way around. As for the top, again had not clue so I just stuck them a little bit of everywhere to fill in!! It's going on a 10 inch square cake that is four layers tall...I'll post a picture when it's all done! Thanks again for looking!

LittleLinda Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LittleLinda Posted 26 Jul 2007 , 3:57am
post #11 of 24

Alleluia! OH GREAT! I'm off to bed and now I've got that song stuck in my head! The bow looks great. I think I'd try picking it up with a spatula to place it on the cake.

Doug Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Doug Posted 26 Jul 2007 , 4:40am
post #12 of 24

great bow...

and well -- you did ask! icon_rolleyes.gif

Hallelujah Nuns

http://www.zappinternet.com/video/PeXrRimXag/Turtle-Creek-Chorale-Hallelujah-Nuns

mkolmar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mkolmar Posted 26 Jul 2007 , 4:43am
post #13 of 24

and the choir yells--hallelujiah and amen.

You did a great job.

too funny Doug! but yet it works.

TractorDiva Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TractorDiva Posted 26 Jul 2007 , 4:52am
post #14 of 24

The bow is beautiful!
However, thanks to Doug, I now have a combination of tears, bc, and coloring running down my cheeks from laughing so hard! icon_biggrin.gif

GI Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
GI Posted 26 Jul 2007 , 5:07am
post #15 of 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleLinda

OH GREAT! I'm off to bed and now I've got that song stuck in my head!

I sang that song in High School Choir!! Great, me too -- am off to BED and singing soprano! icon_cool.gificon_lol.gificon_confused.gificon_lol.gif

Torte Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Torte Posted 26 Jul 2007 , 5:13am
post #16 of 24

O.K. Doug has me cracking up also! The bow is awesome. It looks so big and I love the colour.

ShirleyW Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ShirleyW Posted 26 Jul 2007 , 5:16am
post #17 of 24

Bee Utiful!

sarahnichole975 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sarahnichole975 Posted 26 Jul 2007 , 5:29am
post #18 of 24

Love that big fabu bow! And the nuns are cracking me and my never sleeping 2yo up!!!

Shamitha Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Shamitha Posted 26 Jul 2007 , 5:47am
post #19 of 24

Beautiful bow thumbs_up.gif

diane Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
diane Posted 26 Jul 2007 , 8:08am
post #20 of 24

don't you just hate when things won't go your way?? icon_confused.gif congrats on a beautiful bow!!

Verina Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Verina Posted 26 Jul 2007 , 9:25am
post #21 of 24

BEAUTIFUL BOW!!! Well done - just love it. Good on you to try so many times. I'm sure I would have turfed the idea in no time! thumbs_up.gif

wgoat5 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
wgoat5 Posted 26 Jul 2007 , 10:12am
post #22 of 24

great job!! My bow didn't turn out near this pretty....think Im gonna go get more stuff and try again icon_biggrin.gif

bubbles4500 Posted 26 Jul 2007 , 2:13pm
post #23 of 24

Doug---you are an endless source of funniness!!
I appreciate the nuns!! I'll be calling on them again to help me actually finish the rest of this cake! haha

omaida Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
omaida Posted 26 Jul 2007 , 2:27pm
post #24 of 24

GREAT BOW!!! I love the nuns Doug sent you, they are hillarious!!!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%