If You Have A Problem With Me, At Least Tell Me Who You Are

Lounge By edencakes Updated 31 Jul 2007 , 2:48am by caprica

edencakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
edencakes Posted 25 Jul 2007 , 10:11pm
post #1 of 28

I have been absent from CC since around October of last year due to personal issues, although I still love the community and value many of the relationships I developed while I was an active member.

Today, out of nowhere, I received the following message through my website:

Terry Pettit has sent a message from www.edencakes.com
----------------------------------------------------------------------------
You are one of the most sarcastic, smart mouthed people I have ever seen on CC. You stick your nose and 2 cents in where it does not belong nor asked for! Stop degrading people who make an honest mistake by not mentioning people they may be inspired by with their cakes...especially when it is not your cake they get the inspiration from!!! Or is that the reason you do it? Because they are not inspired by yours and you feel they need to brow beat them in another way for it? No matter the reason...you are NOT the cake police and there are more private ways to tell the person. Ever heard of the pm or email? Stop doing it under the posted pics. You only make yourself look like the idiot!!! Jealousy....you have it sister...get over it!!!

N/A
[email protected]
----------------------------------------------------------------------------

First, if I've ever offended anyone with a comment I've made, please let me know, as I would like to apologize directly. It has never been my intention to upset or hurt anyone with any comment or reply I've made. I have voiced my opinion in discussions before, but isn't that what this site is about?

I don't know if anyone I know is still on here, but if so I hope you know that I am not a mean spirited person.

To the writer of the email: If you (whoever you may be) have a problem with me, at least let me know how to contact you so I can either apologize, or at the very least defend myself. As it is, I honestly don't know what comments you are referring to. As I said, I haven't even been active on this site since October, and even so I don't ever remember acting in the manner that you have suggested.

I won't disagree that I am jealous of other peoples' talent, how could I not be? There are so many people who have so many skills that I don't. I don't however need to insult others in order to feel confident in what I do, because I know that I have skills as well. That said, I hope your little anonymous tirade putting me down has made you feel better about yourself.

Have a nice day icon_smile.gif

27 replies
wgoat5 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
wgoat5 Posted 25 Jul 2007 , 11:51pm
post #2 of 28

Life is way to short to worry about whoever wrote that email!!! I agree that it is hard to just look the other way but ... just do that.....I hope you don't stop posting your cakes and PLEASE don't leave CC!

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 26 Jul 2007 , 12:46am
post #3 of 28

I gotta tell ya....my mouth was hanging open as I read that. I have NEVER seen such hateful writings on CC as is on this email to you! Curiousity getting the better of me, I popped in your profile to read some of your recent posts ..... I found all of them to be courteous, helpful, very polite and professional. I cannot see what this person is referring to. icon_confused.gif

Obviously they are from someone who has too much time on their hands and finds it entertaining to see how far over the edge they can push it.

Hit the 'ole delete key and forget it! They are so obviously not worth your time.

Looking forward to more great input and conversations from you and with you! thumbs_up.gif

adven68 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
adven68 Posted 26 Jul 2007 , 1:01am
post #4 of 28

How brave of them not to disclose their identity....

There has been some heated discussion lately on the topic of not giving credit, but if you haven't been on since October, then this is probably a case of mistaken identity.

mkerton Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mkerton Posted 26 Jul 2007 , 1:07am
post #5 of 28

I hate that you got an email like that, what I dont understand is why this kind of stuff happens here in CC......I guess its just the volume of members? I used to be way more active here but now I only pop in and out (and only in the lounge) because I was so tired of people jumping on each other!!! Why can't we all just get along! Its sad cause I really used to LOVE this place and while there are still parts of it (and people) who I like and respect I have really been disappointed in the bickering.....hang in there and just hit the good ol delete button on that nasty email.

Crissy_Cakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Crissy_Cakes Posted 26 Jul 2007 , 1:33am
post #6 of 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by indydebi

Curiousity getting the better of me, I popped in your profile to read some of your recent posts .....

I'm with indydebi on this one, I peeked at your recent posts and I have to tell you, I don't see what this person is talking about. Quite frankly I'm amazed that someone would take time out of their day to write you such a mean-spirited email.

I may be a newbie post-wise but I've been on this forum for a while and I've never seen something of this sort..........you need to let it go and continue doing as you always have, offering knowlegble and experienced advice. If you're being honest about something, they shouldn't take it to as damaging and hurtful - they should be happy someone is finally telling them the truth and not leading them down the wrong path!

lardbutt Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lardbutt Posted 26 Jul 2007 , 2:15am
post #7 of 28

I'm not really that shocked. You don't have to be around human beings in general very long before you realize how mean some can be. There will always be people around like this, esp. in a community this large. That's life.

However, people like this enjoy controling others with their hurtful comments. Don't let her do it. No one can control you or make you mad unless you let them. You have control here, don't give it away to her!

I'm rather new around here and already feel the same way you do. There are parts of CC I love, and others I could do without! There are a couple of people on CC who seem to think no one else is entitled to have an opinion but them. Somehow they always show up!!

I made some comments (all in fun) about having my fifth child. I have noticed some comments that are probally directed at me on several threads. And usually made on threads that I have responded to, so I will see them. I could be completely paranoid, and this may not even be the case. I doesn't really matter, I'm making a choice not to be bothered by it.

So as already suggested, hit delete and don't look back. I'm glad you came back to CC and I look forward to getting to know you!

BTW, I'm Sherri icon_biggrin.gif

ShirleyW Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ShirleyW Posted 26 Jul 2007 , 2:19am
post #8 of 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by indydebi

I gotta tell ya....my mouth was hanging open as I read that. I have NEVER seen such hateful writings on CC as is on this email to you! Curiousity getting the better of me, I popped in your profile to read some of your recent posts ..... I found all of them to be courteous, helpful, very polite and professional. I cannot see what this person is referring to. icon_confused.gif

I just did the same thing and I didn't find anything you had said to be offensive. The only thing I can think of is maybe this person posted a cake in the photo gallery at sometime and you left a comment she took to be critical?

SaraO Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SaraO Posted 26 Jul 2007 , 3:27am
post #9 of 28

That is so childish. Even if you had said something critical (which as others have pointed out, you haven't), why wouldn't the person just pm you and be up front about it? If I got an email like that it would really bother me, but I agree with the others who have said you should just try to forget about it. This person's opinion is not worth worrying over.

Leahbell Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Leahbell Posted 26 Jul 2007 , 3:41am
post #10 of 28

I'm sorry someone felt the need to attack you. I haven't been on here long, but so far everyone has been very helpful. I hope you decide to stay a member of CC. I looked at your cakes and they are wonderful.

jsmith Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jsmith Posted 26 Jul 2007 , 4:31am
post #11 of 28

Well, one good thing that came of her catty email is that I saw some of your beautiful cakes and got to add them to my favorites. icon_lol.gif

lynda-bob Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lynda-bob Posted 26 Jul 2007 , 5:16am
post #12 of 28

jsmith wrote:

Quote:
Quote:

Well, one good thing that came of her catty email is that I saw some of your beautiful cakes and got to add them to my favorites.

Me, too thumbs_up.gif I just favorited (is that a word? icon_razz.gif ) your green and brown cake! I'd like to do something with the idea of that cake, if you don't mind icon_biggrin.gif

Lynda

edencakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
edencakes Posted 26 Jul 2007 , 1:20pm
post #13 of 28

Thanks everyone for your kind comments. You all really have made me feel better about the situation.

I know I should have just deleted the email and moved on, it was just such a shock to receive it that I wanted to post it here - mostly to see if the writer would make themselves known. No such luck though. I'm really not angry, just confused and surprised I guess.

Hey - at least it got me back on CC - maybe I'll get back into cakerating again now - lol

Melvira Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Melvira Posted 26 Jul 2007 , 2:24pm
post #14 of 28

I'm just wondering if you made a cake that was similar to someone elses (with or without knowing!!!) and they just flipped out because you didn't write a poem about how they inspired you! I am all for crediting your inspiration, but sometimes you come out with similar products just by chance. Or, you saw 12 cakes that were very similar and took inspiration from all of them! It's true, this has been a heated topic as of late, but personally, unless they give you a name, some contact info, or an actual documented case of your 'offense' I would just let it roll off you. I know it still stings, but they are in the wrong to attack from their position of anonymity. When I'm pissed... I always sign my name!!!

On that similar topic... do any of you remember a recent post where one of our lovely co-cakers was told by a bakery that she had to remove her picture of hamburger cupcakes from her website or they were going to sue her due to copyright infringement? Well, they'd better get on the Pilsbury Dough Boy's @ss then because I just bought a book that shows you how to do them! People can be really stupid, and a lot of the time they are just bluffing, hoping you'll be stupid enough to go for it!

Keep your chin up! And welcome back! We're glad you're here. You sarcastic, mean spirited old poop!! icon_lol.gif

bafishr Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bafishr Posted 26 Jul 2007 , 2:49pm
post #15 of 28

I love that word, cakerating. It's now in my cake dictionary. icon_biggrin.gif

Ironbaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Ironbaker Posted 26 Jul 2007 , 3:04pm
post #16 of 28

It sounds like they think she berated others for not giving credit through comments on pictures. Not in the posts. But eden hasn't been around for awhile (good to see your name again). So either it's mistaken identity or someone has been harboring this for almost a year! icon_lol.gif (If so, really, get a cake life.)

Welcome back edencakes and since this person couldn't idenitfy themselves, you may as well think of it as nonexistent.

AlamoSweets Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AlamoSweets Posted 26 Jul 2007 , 3:35pm
post #17 of 28

You know I totally agree with mkerton. What a shame CC has changed so from when I enjoyed surfing through all of the forum topics and helping where I could. I haven't been on as regularly as I use to and I too pop in and out sometimes. When things were at their worst here I joined another forum that was a lot smaller. I found it absent of all of the bickering that was going on here. What a relief! However, people being people and living in other countries there was a language issue that I disagreed with on that site so I don't go there much anymore. So, here I am longing for the old CC when everyone was getting along and having fun baking.

I bet the person that wrote you that ugly e-mail is reading all of the posts out of curiosity to see where it goes. Well, let me tell you, whoever you are, if you have such an opinion you should have the guts to say it and label it with your name. Shame on you. What a coward!

Luby Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Luby Posted 26 Jul 2007 , 11:13pm
post #18 of 28

Some people are just totally ignorant - ignore them. They aren't worth your time or effort.

Melvira Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Melvira Posted 27 Jul 2007 , 12:23am
post #19 of 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ironbaker

It sounds like they think she berated others for not giving credit through comments on pictures.

Yes, after re-reading it I see that I was thinking the opposite of what was said. Sorry! Either way, it was a terrible letter! I wish we could all increase our level of tolerance, etc. I, too, can lose my temper, but in general I really try to 'behave'. icon_wink.gif

emmascakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
emmascakes Posted 27 Jul 2007 , 9:45pm
post #20 of 28

I think this forum is generally very friendly and I very rarely come across any post that is unpleasant and feel sad that you've had this horrid email. It might just be from someone stirring things - are they called trolls?

You should try a dogs forum or even teachers forums - now they really are biiiitchy!

keonicakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
keonicakes Posted 28 Jul 2007 , 12:31am
post #21 of 28

All I can say is I'm so sorry you would get an email like this. I know how that feels, pretty crappy. Pay no mind to it and stick with us nice people who appreciate what you contribute. You do beautiful work by the way.
Keep that chin up, surely this person has you confused with someone else.
Amy

ckkerber Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ckkerber Posted 28 Jul 2007 , 5:22am
post #22 of 28

I'm with everyone else . . . ignore it. No one who would send an anonymous message such as that is worth even an ounce of worry or energy. I'm sorry you haven't been around as much (I hope everything is okay!) and I hope this doesn't keep you away! I, too, have taken a break now and then when attitudes get bigger than the cakes around here but I keep coming back because there's still an awful lot of talent and inspiration around here.

wgoat5 Posted 28 Jul 2007 , 10:13am
post #23 of 28

there is always a drama queen or king in the bunch...forget about it , move on ...come back to cc and see us icon_biggrin.gif

Wonder why there is always that 1 person that wants to stir up trouble? Makes me so mad!

(((((HUGS)))))

auntiem26 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
auntiem26 Posted 29 Jul 2007 , 8:08pm
post #24 of 28

there are people called "proffessional trolls" and they come on sites like this, and try to start fights between people. I live in a city with two universities and a college, and I know that students will do this for certain projects.

this is a real thing, so don't let it get you down. Some people are just jerks. icon_smile.gif

sarahnichole975 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sarahnichole975 Posted 30 Jul 2007 , 3:36am
post #25 of 28

There really are some real sweeties on here. And of course I love those sweets, AND I think there are enough of us on here to flock together and just avoid any drama. It's so much nicer to just be friendly.

cupcake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cupcake Posted 30 Jul 2007 , 4:10am
post #26 of 28

To the person who has to write nasty e-mails, I am sure you are out there surfing the comments and snickering, and I suppose you think you are real clever and cunning. Only a coward manifests herself or himself whichever it might be in such secrecy. At some point in time it will be known, perhaps you should bury your head in the sand now. Now, all that being said, there are many people in this forum that are talented, some just learning, some professionals, there are also people that think they know everything, which we know to be false, and there are some that are legitimately sincere about helping others, and then there are others that never let anyone get a word in edgewise, and some who are afraid to even post or suggest a way to do things. This is an open community, with a multitude of ethnic backgrounds, experience and talent. Is is so difficult to share, be kind and respect your fellow man or woman? Why is it so hard for people to do the right thing? What happened to dignity, respect for a human being and compassion? It is a mind boggling thing. Lets live in peace because one day we may not really have it, and all this petty stuff is a waste of time. Siege the moment.

wgoat5 Posted 30 Jul 2007 , 5:48pm
post #27 of 28

Amen Cupcake!!!

caprica Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
caprica Posted 31 Jul 2007 , 2:48am
post #28 of 28

WOW- What ever happened to diplomacy and civilized confrontation?
I'm sorry, but this is a HOT topic for me! icon_mad.gif

Here's how I see it: anyone who would do that, and not include their name is a COWARD. People who attack other's over the internet don't want to have to deal with your feelings, so they unload all their crap onto you and split. If someone had a problem with me, I would expect them to address me "privately" so we could discuss things rationally- and if necessary, I'd applogize. I mean, we're all adults here... right?

I agree with the "just ignore it" advice- this person is self-righteous and obviously bitter - you don't deserve that. icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%