Let's Play "spot The Differences!"

Decorating By pish Updated 6 Aug 2007 , 4:30pm by mekaclayton

pish Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pish Posted 25 Jul 2007 , 8:55pm
post #1 of 19

I making a wedding cake for a good friends daughter in November and she sort of knew what she wanted but not really. Haing nothing better to do with my time ( icon_rolleyes.gif ) I said I would do a small cake with different variations of her primary ideas. Well, I finished it and immediately thought "This is the ugliest thing in the world!" because there was no flow or consistancy in the overall design. Then I noticed that there was a definate difference between the upper and lower layers of the cake and I immediately thought of that game where there are two pictures that seem identical but one has subtle changes to it you need to find. Does anyone know what I'm talking about?

I've noticed 5 obvious changes and 1 subtle. Can anyone else spot them?
LL

18 replies
jen1977 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jen1977 Posted 25 Jul 2007 , 9:04pm
post #2 of 19

I only found 5.....the top layer looks taller than the bottom, round swirls instead oof square, top looks to have one big dot on it and bottome doesn't, bottom beads are varying sizes, top swirls have 3 rows in each swirl and bottom only has two. What am I missing?

jen1977 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jen1977 Posted 25 Jul 2007 , 9:05pm
post #3 of 19

Found it....bottom lines are piped thicker than hte top.

pish Posted 25 Jul 2007 , 9:22pm
post #4 of 19

Wow Jen1977 you found more than I did! However there is still one out there that is very very subtle. I also think that the top being taller then bottom was unintentional. I think I was a tad too heavy on the frosting icon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gif

lakaty Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lakaty Posted 26 Jul 2007 , 12:00am
post #5 of 19

Ok I've looked and I've looked but I can't find the one thing. You said it was subtle so there's probably no chance of me seeing it anyway. I need glaring differences before i spot them icon_redface.gif .

But I am dying to know what the last one is..........

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 26 Jul 2007 , 12:37am
post #6 of 19

The top layer swirls are two different sizes but the bottom layer square-swirls are the same size.

Tweetycup Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Tweetycup Posted 26 Jul 2007 , 12:39am
post #7 of 19

I look at it and see that the bottom tier has 4 squares then a large square as the top one has the swirls just going around it. Why do 2 of the swirls look like they were placed on the cake (hence the big shadow) but the squares look like they were piped on the cake?

hmmm...that's my only thoughts

pish Posted 26 Jul 2007 , 12:51am
post #8 of 19

Nope, nope and nope icon_biggrin.gif . The are various sizes of swirls, round and square, around the cake (maybe NOT the best picture that shows that icon_redface.gif) and all the decorations were made the same way: piped chocolate.The difference had to do with the white frosting and in retrospect, you may have had to have been in my kitchen to spot that difference. Just throw some guesses out there...I let you know...

Tweetycup Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Tweetycup Posted 26 Jul 2007 , 1:03am
post #9 of 19

last guess, the squares basically are piped starting from the "same" spot. whereas the swirls seem to start in different "spots".

pish Posted 26 Jul 2007 , 3:39am
post #10 of 19

Okay, the last one is really difficult unless you were in my kitchen. The top layer is IMBC anf the bottom BC. Yes, I know that was probably unfair since it's so hard to tell in a picture but, it is a difference...okay, okay don't hurt me icon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gif . Be warned though that the next time I try this there will be two pictures that SEEM identical....

Thanks for playing and pointing out differences I missed! icon_smile.gif

practiceandpatience Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
practiceandpatience Posted 28 Jul 2007 , 7:17am
post #11 of 19

One difference I noticed was that the bottom layer has a sharp corner where sides and top meet, while the top layer has a rounded corner where side meets top.

dazey1050 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dazey1050 Posted 28 Jul 2007 , 3:54pm
post #12 of 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by practiceandpatience

One difference I noticed was that the bottom layer has a sharp corner where sides and top meet, while the top layer has a rounded corner where side meets top.

That's what I was thinking too.

lionladydi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lionladydi Posted 28 Jul 2007 , 4:12pm
post #13 of 19

I'm just glad it's not going to be my wedding cake........... icon_lol.gificon_lol.gif

Julisa Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Julisa Posted 28 Jul 2007 , 4:39pm
post #14 of 19

Bottom layer looks to be iced in BC and top may be covered in a REAL thin fondant like maybe choco-pan. Is that it?

pish Posted 28 Jul 2007 , 4:41pm
post #15 of 19

Hey! No potshots at the cake, it's suppose to be that ugly icon_biggrin.gif . You'e going to hurt it's feelings icon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gif

lionladydi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lionladydi Posted 28 Jul 2007 , 5:29pm
post #16 of 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by pish

Hey! No potshots at the cake, it's suppose to be that ugly icon_biggrin.gif . You'e going to hurt it's feelings icon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gif

Sorry.......I didn't make myself clear. I didn't mean the cake was ugly. I meant that I was glad it wasn't me getting married. Been divorced since 1982 and I'm still glad about it. icon_lol.gif

Diane

practiceandpatience Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
practiceandpatience Posted 28 Jul 2007 , 6:15pm
post #17 of 19

LOL too funny!!!!!
I feel the same way! send sympathy cards vs congratulations

Julisa Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Julisa Posted 6 Aug 2007 , 4:12pm
post #18 of 19

So what is/was the difference?

mekaclayton Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mekaclayton Posted 6 Aug 2007 , 4:30pm
post #19 of 19

I'm so stupid...I saw all of those things (didn't catch the buttercream/MMF clue) but thought maybe that 1 dot to the right on the top tier was a clue. Sorry...didn't see any other dots. So what do you do with the cakes after you practice??

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%