Please Help...another Royal Icing?

Decorating By newlywedws Updated 20 Sep 2006 , 10:37am by tcturtleshell

newlywedws Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
newlywedws Posted 19 Sep 2006 , 5:04pm
post #1 of 9

Okay I'm getting ready for lesson 3 in course III and I have to make royal icing...well I'm using "big brother's recipe...you know "W" - and here's my issue, it says it's suppose to yield 3 cups. Okay fine, but the lesson indicates we need both stiff and thin consistency royal icing - in all our lessons we've never been shown how to reduce royal icing -we have w/ BC, but not royal. The reason why we haven't been shown, I'm guessing is b/c the instructor believes thin will not hold shape like stiff royal icing will icon_cool.gif

So I really need some advice. How do I make it thin?

Edited to say, following the recipe as is, seems like it's just shy of 3 cups...should I add 1 more TBSP of water? I've added 6 Tbsp when I first started making it.

8 replies
DianaMarieMTV Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DianaMarieMTV Posted 19 Sep 2006 , 5:11pm
post #2 of 9

Just bring in stiff. Most of the things in that class can be done with stiff royal. Otherwise, you can just stir in a few drops of water at a time untill it thins down a bit. It shouldn'tbe a problem. Just take it easy with the water, litterally a few drops at a time or you could end up with a runny mess. icon_smile.gif Good luck, the lily nail flowers are really fun!

TexasSugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TexasSugar Posted 19 Sep 2006 , 10:34pm
post #3 of 9

Okay I have to say, I find the 'big brother' comment kinda offensive. Wilton is not telling everyone how they have to do cake decorating. They are out there to help people get started in cake decorating.

As far as the Royal icing in Lesson 3. I always tell my students to bring the same consistancy. No where in the book or our 'notes' does it say exactly how to thin it down. And since more than a few drops of water can really change the consistancy I don't give that added worry to my students. There isn't an exact measurement for it.

The 'thin' is used for the centers of the flowers, but you brush them up the sides with water, so it really doesn't matter what the consistancy is.

As far as it not being quite 3 cups, that's pretty common. Sometimes the regular buttercream can be shy of 3 cups. I just go with the 'about' measurements and not stress over it if it is alot bit off. Even if it is less than 3 cups you will have plenty of icing to use for these flowers.

Elfie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Elfie Posted 19 Sep 2006 , 11:00pm
post #4 of 9

I thought the Big Brother comment was kinda funny! icon_biggrin.gif

Cake4ever Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cake4ever Posted 20 Sep 2006 , 12:16am
post #5 of 9

Ok, I had this issue last night in course 3. In course 2 it was not whipped enough and was too loose. Now I overwhipped and it was too stiff. There's no winning!

At least the too thick can be watered down, whereas my friend's was too shiney and wouldn't work in class. I was able to add water and get it where I needed it. I found that it needed to be more of a medium consistency, not thick.

Good luck.

mmdd Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mmdd Posted 20 Sep 2006 , 12:44am
post #6 of 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasSugar

Okay I have to say, I find the 'big brother' comment kinda offensive. Wilton is not telling everyone how they have to do cake decorating. They are out there to help people get started in cake decorating.

I think she mentioned this to let everyone know EXACTLY what recipe she was using. icon_wink.gif She never said anything about them telling people how to do cake decorating.

Maybe the instrutor will show you in class. Either way, royal icing can be pretty difficult to get "just right" sometimes....lots of factors weigh in. If you need any help with your RI, look up CC member MissBaritone on here, she's always helped me with RI....just reading her posts about it are a huge help!!!!!

Good Luck to you!!!!!!!!!!

frosting111 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
frosting111 Posted 20 Sep 2006 , 1:16am
post #7 of 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by newlywedws

Okay I'm getting ready for lesson 3 in course III and I have to make royal icing...well I'm using "big brother's recipe...you know "W" - and here's my issue, it says it's suppose to yield 3 cups. Okay fine, but the lesson indicates we need both stiff and thin consistency royal icing - in all our lessons we've never been shown how to reduce royal icing -we have w/ BC, but not royal. The reason why we haven't been shown, I'm guessing is b/c the instructor believes thin will not hold shape like stiff royal icing will icon_cool.gif

So I really need some advice. How do I make it thin?

Edited to say, following the recipe as is, seems like it's just shy of 3 cups...should I add 1 more TBSP of water? I've added 6 Tbsp when I first started making it.

Just follow "Big Brothers" recipe, that's the one I always use, and take that in to your class, you can thin it there with a few "Drops" of water to the consistency your instructor requires if need be...RI is really easy to work with, I've used it a "LOT" threw the years doing my sugar molds and such as.

I always have my students bring extra powdered sugar if their icing is too thin to thicken it and water will always thin it out if its too thick...no big deal at all icon_smile.gif

Keep us posted on how it goes for ya...Happy Baking, Mary birthday.gif

MissBaritone Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MissBaritone Posted 20 Sep 2006 , 4:06am
post #8 of 9

Don't be scared of royal icing at all. Even using recipe it will never turn out exactly the same consistency twice. Things like humidity can come into play. You need to learn to make the icing by 'feel'. If it is to thick simply add water a drop ant a time a mix in well until you get the right consistency. If it then goes too thin simply add icing sugar and mix well until you get the correct consistency.

If you do have any questions or need any help please feel free to pm me and I'll do my best to help

tcturtleshell Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tcturtleshell Posted 20 Sep 2006 , 10:37am
post #9 of 9

I'm sorry but I have to comment on this one... I got a laugh when you said Big Brother "W"... I'm thinking.... this chicks big brother is "George" W??!!! LOL icon_smile.gif Toooooo funny!!!

RI is hard to get just right the first few times. Take the "thick" RI to your class. Your teacher should show everyone how to thin it down & yes it only takes a few drops of water. If I remember correctly my teacher said use beads of water that roll off your spatula, so that's less the a drop. Bring powdered sugar with you just in case you use too much water.

Don't worry about it so much. You'll get the right consistency down pretty quick. If not you can use someone elses in the class icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%