Wedding Cake Meets The Dashboard!!!

Decorating By skarudy Updated 24 Sep 2006 , 2:22pm by DianaMarieMTV

skarudy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
skarudy Posted 19 Sep 2006 , 6:09am
post #1 of 6

i made my friends wedding cake which took me 2 whole days to make because it was the first wedding cake i have ever made. i was traveling with it to las vegas like around 220miles. i traveled with all 3 tiers together because i had no time to set it up when i got there. the cake held up very well just some rosebuds fell off a problem that can be solved with a little BC. so i was going to drop it off at my friends condo out there where the reception was. they called me and said they had to leave and didnt have time to wait for me. i was a little upset because i just wanted to get the cake off my hands but o well. so i drove with it to the family dinner. now my boyfriend was holding the cake in his lap because i didnt think that i would be traveling very far. everything was going ok the cake was doing very well then all of a sudden so lady cuts me off so bad i had to slam on the brakes and i still almost hit her. the cake just tipped over and ran right into the dashboard !!!!!! some flowers fell off and and there was a crack in the fondant and the layers kinda slide apart.. i was sooo mad and so upset i just started crying uncontolably. well anyways i fixed the flowers and i just tried to fix the crack the best i could.everyone really enjoyed that cake! i will never travel with a cake ever again like that i learned my lesson!!

5 replies
Feefs Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Feefs Posted 19 Sep 2006 , 6:24am
post #2 of 6

You poor thing! I know what it's like to travel with a friends wedding cake! nerve racking!! and then to have that happen - and such a pretty cake too!! lucky you were skilled enough to patch it up on the spot like that!!

cakes + travelling = bad combination!!

icon_smile.gif Fi

mxpark Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mxpark Posted 19 Sep 2006 , 6:25am
post #3 of 6

on ace of cakes (my lastest obsession) duff used RI to fix a crack in his fondant. it worked like magic! i would have really went off on that lady. but then again i have really bad road rage. and i just went through two days of caking for one cake so i can't even imagine how upset i would have been if that happened to me. but at least everyone enjoyed it!

Alicandra Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Alicandra Posted 19 Sep 2006 , 4:50pm
post #4 of 6

I'm SO sorry that happened to you - something similar, but not as crushing, happened to me with my very first 'class' cake - don't you just wish you could drive RIGHT OVER folks who cut you off on the road like that?! icon_mad.gificon_mad.gif

BUT here is the positive spin - your friends enjoyed the cake, you didn't hit the !@#$, your boyfriend and you are OK, and you will live to bake another day!

Don't let one !@#$ discourage you - hang in there!! thumbs_up.gif
Ali in MA

lindsaycakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lindsaycakes Posted 24 Sep 2006 , 2:10pm
post #5 of 6

Oh no!! I think I would have had the same reaction...to just CRY! icon_smile.gif I'm glad everyone still enjoyed your cake. I once traveled with a cake 3 1/2 hours, and it was the first and only "long haul" I have made with a wedding cake. The things we do for our friends and family!!!

My trick for wedding cakes is to travel with the layers apart. I stack the bottom 2, and then I put the rest of the tiers (on their boards) on top of the legged plates that Wilton makes, anchored with a dollop of buttercream. Then I put them in my trunk on top of one of those foam mattress pads. Works like a dream!!!
It's a litle more work when you get to the site, and more to haul around because you can't do all the decorating at home/work, but it works for me!! I'd rather have my cake get their in one piece. icon_smile.gif

Good luck on all your future cake endeavors!!! You learn from each mistake, right?!?! icon_smile.gif

Lindsay

DianaMarieMTV Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DianaMarieMTV Posted 24 Sep 2006 , 2:22pm
post #6 of 6

I agree with Lindsay. Might be a little more work to put it together on site, but much safer than either having the whole thing topple over or having to make major repairs when you get there.

So sorry this happened to you! The cake looks very pretty!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%