People Asking For Recipes??

Decorating By melissablack Updated 3 May 2011 , 3:43pm by nanefy

melissablack Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
melissablack Posted 1 Jul 2005 , 3:46pm
post #1 of 55

I was just curious, how do you handle people asking for your recipes? I am not talking about people online, but the people you make the cakes for & guests at the events where they're served.

I have been suprised at how many people have been asking me my recipes lately! I mean, I'm trying to start my little business here, why would I give everyone my recipes? Then they'd just make it themselves! icon_wink.gif

I've just been saying 'it's my secret recipe.' I feel rude, but I don't know what else to do!

Melissa icon_smile.gif

54 replies
Mchelle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mchelle Posted 1 Jul 2005 , 3:52pm
post #2 of 55

I wonder the same thing. Why do people ask that? Duh, if I give it to you, what would you need me for! dunce.gif

I just tell them that I don't give out the information. The nerve! icon_mad.gif

mochaboi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mochaboi Posted 1 Jul 2005 , 3:59pm
post #3 of 55

My Grandmother always told me "Never give away your recipes." And this was when I was younger and would just sit in the kitchen to watch her. Before I even knew I'd be baking one day (maybe she knew something I didnt at the time)...But to this day, whenever anyone asks me, I tell them, I'm sorry, it's a family recipe and I can not give it to you.

ntertayneme Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ntertayneme Posted 1 Jul 2005 , 3:59pm
post #4 of 55

I always tell them, I just can't remember all the exact measurements/ingredients for it right then ... if they ask again, I straight out tell them I really rather not give it out and also tell them I hope it doesn't hurt their feelings, but I'd just like to keep the recipe to myself.

Bubbles Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Bubbles Posted 1 Jul 2005 , 4:01pm
post #5 of 55

I never know what to say either when someone asks for a recipie. If it was just a dessert I made to take to a party, that is one thing. But if you are going to pay me to make you a cake, then you obviously aren't going to make it yourself. So why ask for the recipie.

I had one lady ask me if she could come watch me make a cake. That was a little weird. Thankfully someone started talking to me at the same time, and I guess the lady lost interest. So I didn't have to say - "I don't even know you." It wasn't like she was asking me to teach her anything - no she just wanted to watch. Does that sound strange to anyone else?

melissablack Posted 1 Jul 2005 , 4:08pm
post #6 of 55
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bubbles

I never know what to say either when someone asks for a recipie. If it was just a dessert I made to take to a party, that is one thing. But if you are going to pay me to make you a cake, then you obviously aren't going to make it yourself. So why ask for the recipie.

I had one lady ask me if she could come watch me make a cake. That was a little weird. Thankfully someone started talking to me at the same time, and I guess the lady lost interest. So I didn't have to say - "I don't even know you." It wasn't like she was asking me to teach her anything - no she just wanted to watch. Does that sound strange to anyone else?

Yes! That sounds so weird to me! lol. Especially considering you didn't even know her, wow....

MrsMissey Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MrsMissey Posted 1 Jul 2005 , 4:11pm
post #7 of 55

Some recipes I give out, others I don't! To make light of it, I usually just respond by saying....I'd tell ya' but then I'd have to kill ya'!! LOL! Then I quickly change the subject!!

llj68 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
llj68 Posted 1 Jul 2005 , 6:17pm
post #8 of 55

It depends on the recipe. But, I do have some that I will not give out to the "general" public. I usually say something like "it's a secret family recipe", or (especially for my family bc) you just can't go and make it yourself--you need specialized training from infancy. lol!!

My neighbor keeps asking me if she can come over the watch me decorate--that is fine. However, if it was someone I didn't even know--I don't know about that.

Lisa

CIndymm4 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CIndymm4 Posted 1 Jul 2005 , 6:26pm
post #9 of 55

I don't have people asking me for my cake recipes near as much as I have them asking for my cinnamon roll recipe....they taste like the Cinnabuns you get in the mall......I usually say something like, oh you know the usual stuff is in it like flour, sugar, yeast. I've only had one really try to press me about it and I told her I had a secret ingredient in it.....she said if I guess what it is, will you tell me, she was a home economics teacher, and I agreed. She was eating the things and trying to guess but she never did! icon_lol.gif

diane Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
diane Posted 1 Jul 2005 , 6:28pm
post #10 of 55

girl, it is your secret recipes and it should stay that way. just tell them that, i'm sure they would understand.

APCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
APCakes Posted 1 Jul 2005 , 6:34pm
post #11 of 55

It's called a trade secret - every company has them, and you're no exception!

Teisha45177 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Teisha45177 Posted 1 Jul 2005 , 7:22pm
post #12 of 55

I will not give out my recipes. Even my mom has asked. I told her that I would have to kill her if I told her. So therefore I cant. I will give out desert recipe's for instance at a family gathering. I will not give out my "master recipes".

Teisha

littlebubbieschocolates Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
littlebubbieschocolates Posted 1 Jul 2005 , 7:33pm
post #13 of 55

ive been lucky havent had that problem yet

ccbakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ccbakes Posted 1 Jul 2005 , 7:35pm
post #14 of 55

I tell people I'm writing a cookbook and when it comes out they can get it then..(seeing as how it'll really never happen) but it does get them off the subject and this way I'm not being to rude at the same time

good36 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
good36 Posted 1 Jul 2005 , 7:43pm
post #15 of 55

I find it a wonderful compliment when they ask. I am more then happy to hand it out to them.
Judy

mami2sweeties Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mami2sweeties Posted 1 Jul 2005 , 8:37pm
post #16 of 55

I know some people don't like giving out recipes but sometimes people try to work the recipe but they come back and say, "I followed the recipe but it doesn't come out as good as yours."

Some people ask and get it but never try it because it is just easier to buy it. Baking takes time and not everyone really likes to do it. They ask with intentions to try the recipe some time but never do.

So, yes, I give out recipes.

debsuewoo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
debsuewoo Posted 1 Jul 2005 , 9:58pm
post #17 of 55

You might try saying something like "You know, this really is a secret recipe, but you can find one like it the Cake Mix Doctor book (or another cook book)." Kind of like Top Secret Recipes.

ashianadotkom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ashianadotkom Posted 1 Jul 2005 , 10:25pm
post #18 of 55

The only time someone asked me for my recipe was a couple of years.
Since i like to make recipes that are challenging to me i said to her oh you use a double boiler to....and that's where i lost her attention thumbs_up.gif
I change my recipes often to personalize it or change it to my liking anyway.

AShiana

ashianadotkom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ashianadotkom Posted 1 Jul 2005 , 10:31pm
post #19 of 55

By the way i agree with Bubbles ....for example you wouldn't go to your hairstylist and say can you show m ehow to cut my hair.
PEOPLE DO NOT REALIZE IT THAT THIS IS ANOTHER PROFESSION NOT EVERYBODY CAN BAKE AND DECORATE A CAKE!!
Please don't be offended any of you ladies ..i have learned a great deal from this site.

Mchelle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mchelle Posted 1 Jul 2005 , 11:51pm
post #20 of 55

There are certain recipes that I give out, but not others, like sweet potato cheesecake (delicious). If I am charging you, then you won't get the recipe. I love sharing with you guys on here because we all have the same common interest. My recipes are what sets me apart from everyone else.

My hubby is a hair stylist and no one asks him to teach them for free. I think that most people think that it's just a cake or dessert. They don't consider this a craft until you make cakes like Collette. Forget how long it took you to perfect the craft and get to where Collette is.

beachcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
beachcakes Posted 2 Jul 2005 , 2:04am
post #21 of 55

I've never had anyone ask me for a recipe, and I hope they never do icon_wink.gif I only make for friends/coworkers/family but i hate when they hint around trying to find out if it's scratch or a mix. I use both, but when I doctor a mix, I feel guilty about it - I don't know why. It should be none of their business, I'm not charging them! One coworker freaked out on me after she ate a cake that was covered in MMF b/c she was vegetarian. I felt bad, but i don't think I have to tell everyone what I use to make cakes!

SweetCreations Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SweetCreations Posted 2 Jul 2005 , 4:39am
post #22 of 55

Hey Ya'll,
I am still laughing about the co-worker that ate the mmf and got upset when she found out what was in it... I am sorry but I laugh at most everything.. Got to in this world,, it really helps.. icon_lol.gif but some times when someone asks for a recipe I am like O well it was my great grandmas and she would come back and Kick my butt if I gave it out.. icon_biggrin.gif that kinda breaks the ice and seems to lift the pressure of feeling like you Have to give it up.. B/c you dont. I tell them to go to yahoo and put in a search for it because I cant remember right off hand all the measurements. & people are happy with that. But I love the fact that I can come here and give a recipe or search for one I would like to have and most likely find it.
~Sweet~ icon_rolleyes.gif

APCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
APCakes Posted 2 Jul 2005 , 5:00am
post #23 of 55
Quote:
Originally Posted by beachcakes

I only make for friends/coworkers/family but i hate when they hint around trying to find out if it's scratch or a mix. I use both, but when I doctor a mix, I feel guilty about it - I don't know why.

You know what, beachcakes? I get the sense too that some people attach a stigma to using mixes. The truth is, in all of the recipes I've tested, scratch and DR'ed mixes, I actually like the mix cakes so much better! Especially when they are doctored a little bit, they always turn out so much moister, they taste better, they keep longer, and they keep costs down for the clients. I wish there weren't so many ingredients I can't pronounce, but the end effect is a much better cake. Unless a scratch recipe is better in taste AND texture (which I haven't found many of), I'd rather do a doctored mix! Great taste and texture is what the client wants most of all anyway, right?
So don't feel guilty at all! icon_smile.gif

melissablack Posted 2 Jul 2005 , 5:10am
post #24 of 55

I'm really enjoying reading everyone's responses! So I guess I will just stick with my 'secret recipe' line. I don't mind giving out my normal recipes, just not the cake related ones that I use for cakes I sell.

Melissa icon_razz.gif

SweetCreations Posted 2 Jul 2005 , 5:22am
post #25 of 55

I have often wondered what difference does it make if they are ooo-ing and awwwing over the cake why should it matter if its Scratch or not? and why would you have to Tell? lmao I love to keep 'em guessing. but I do love the mixes..
~Sweet~ =0)

SweetCreations Posted 2 Jul 2005 , 4:50pm
post #26 of 55

Ooo and even if you do use a cake Mix,,, you have to Mix it up.. so Heck yeah its Homemade, Not like you ran to wal mart and bought the cake all baked up and just slapped some icing on it. =0) hehhe
~Sweet~ =0)

VickiC Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
VickiC Posted 2 Jul 2005 , 5:04pm
post #27 of 55

I tell people I find alot of recipes on the internet like Martha Stewart. I'm always trying something new, blah, blah, blah. If they are really interested, they can look it uo themselves.

cakeladyofga Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakeladyofga Posted 2 Jul 2005 , 5:44pm
post #28 of 55

The people I work with are always asking how I make this or that. They are my testers on everything I make. They'll eat anything for free! icon_lol.gif But if they ask I just tell them it has sour cream in it or yogurt, cream cheese...etc, but nothing more. that seems to satisfies them as I make my get away. icon_lol.gif

flayvurdfun Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
flayvurdfun Posted 2 Jul 2005 , 7:46pm
post #29 of 55

I know someone that tells them a different recipe for the same thing... it usually is just a basic cake.... and of course doesnt taste as good.. pretty sneaky I think, she then hears...I tried to make that cake and it does not taste the same way.. she then says "hmmm it always works for me". mean I know but she keeps getting the call backs and reorders....
me on the other hand tells them... its all in my head and I dont have time to write it down...they never get back to me for it.....

Beebug123 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Beebug123 Posted 3 Jul 2005 , 3:34am
post #30 of 55

Yeah my mom's cousin did that to her once, for a pumpkin cake recipe. She wrote down salt for the sugar and my mom made the cake and took it to a party. She was horrified when she tasted how aweful it was because she did not realize that it wasn't the "real" recipe.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%