Present Cake Help?!?!

Decorating By ljberry Updated 31 Jul 2007 , 1:14am by ljberry

ljberry Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ljberry Posted 25 Jul 2007 , 1:17am
post #1 of 9

When making a present cake how do you cover the lid in fondant and prop it up and how do you make tissue paper?

8 replies
Cassie1686 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cassie1686 Posted 25 Jul 2007 , 3:50am
post #2 of 9

usually with the lid, you use different size dowel rods to prop it up, make tissue paper out of fondant or gumpaste to cover the dowels. I would recomment covering a piece of styrofoam for the lid, it would be much easier than cake.

Biya Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Biya Posted 25 Jul 2007 , 4:17am
post #3 of 9

Here's a link for directions on making a hat box cake.
http://forum.cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopict-215781-hatbox.html

Hope it helps you as much as it helped me.

Cake_Princess Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cake_Princess Posted 25 Jul 2007 , 4:26am
post #4 of 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by ljberry

When making a present cake how do you cover the lid in fondant and prop it up and how do you make tissue paper?

For the gift box cake in my album, I used gumpaste to cover the cake pan I used to bake the cake. I molded the lid over the inverted pan, made the bow and left it to dry. ft was sitting on a cake board that was supported by chopsticks. Make the lid a few days ahead of time so it has time to dry. lf you have questions feel free to ask me.

Here is the cake I made using this method
http://www.cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=43231

missnnaction Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
missnnaction Posted 25 Jul 2007 , 5:09am
post #5 of 9

I also used gumpaste.. and my procedure was similar to Cake_Princess
LL

ljberry Posted 25 Jul 2007 , 2:58pm
post #6 of 9

Thank you all so much. You have been so helpful. I can't wait to try it and I'm looking forward to making this cake. It's for this Sunday and I'll post a picture of it so look for it. Thanks again!

beverlyanne Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
beverlyanne Posted 25 Jul 2007 , 7:50pm
post #7 of 9

I was doing some "snooping" and came across your query; however, I didn't see a response regarding your "tissue" question. I've asked that question before & was instructed to put the fondant through a pasta maker to get it really thin. Then you can gather it up in the shape you want the "tissue" to look like. Hope this helps (I haven't tried it yet -- so I'm just sharing what I was told). I'll look for your pic.

Bev

Cake_Princess Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cake_Princess Posted 26 Jul 2007 , 4:38am
post #8 of 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by beverlyanne

I was doing some "snooping" and came across your query; however, I didn't see a response regarding your "tissue" question. I've asked that question before & was instructed to put the fondant through a pasta maker to get it really thin. Then you can gather it up in the shape you want the "tissue" to look like. Hope this helps (I haven't tried it yet -- so I'm just sharing what I was told). I'll look for your pic.

Bev

For the tissue, I used my mini Wilton rolling pin. I took the spacers off and I rolled the fondant out as thing as possible. Then I used the my spatula to lift a corner off the work surface. I picked it up and held it in such a way that cause it to drape in a natural fashion and placed it on the cake. If I needed it to be supported I used pieces of paper towel until it dried in place.

ljberry Posted 31 Jul 2007 , 1:14am
post #9 of 9

Thanks all! I ended up making the tissue out of gumpaste. The picture is in my photos if you wanna take a look.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%