My First (And Last) Wedding Cake

Decorating By frostingfairy Updated 25 Jul 2007 , 4:00pm by armywife1

frostingfairy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
frostingfairy Posted 24 Jul 2007 , 9:19pm
post #1 of 15

Ok so maybe I was crazy to make my own wedding cake in the same month I redid my kitchen. And maybe I was crazy to think that I could get it right the first time with no practice whatsoever (cuz my kitchen was in a shambles). And I KNOW I was crazy to make the whole darn thing from scratch. But it sure tasted good icon_biggrin.gif I'll probably never attempt a wedding cake again, but any advice about keeping the tiers from leaning?
LL

14 replies
JoAnnB Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JoAnnB Posted 24 Jul 2007 , 9:23pm
post #2 of 15

Looks good considering all your problems. boards, even dowels, and level layers will prevent it from tilting.

shoup_family Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
shoup_family Posted 24 Jul 2007 , 10:12pm
post #3 of 15

My advice would be to make sure all your dowels are the same... and.... don't let it be your last!!!!!!!!!! You just had a tiny little problem other than that it is beautiful... and I wouldn't have noticed if you didn't point it out. thumbs_up.gif

pumpkinroses Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pumpkinroses Posted 24 Jul 2007 , 10:19pm
post #4 of 15

I can't give any advice because I've never made a real wedding cake but I wanted to let you know I think it looks great.

katerpillrgrl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
katerpillrgrl Posted 24 Jul 2007 , 10:19pm
post #5 of 15

Actually I noticed it leaning in the picture. I see your dilemma. Just make sure you cut your dowels evenly. I like to use a level throughout the process, before I even ice the cake to make sure it's all level.

Keep trying and good luck

debster Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
debster Posted 24 Jul 2007 , 10:20pm
post #6 of 15

I always use lots of dowels the wood ones, and double the boards. You did well for a first, learn and move on. Each cake I do I learn something new. It's never ending believe me, just don't give in or give up. icon_biggrin.gif

SueB Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SueB Posted 24 Jul 2007 , 10:21pm
post #7 of 15

You brave soul...doing your own cake!!!! You did a great job! I have only done 3 wedding cakes and after each one I have said "no more" but I am already feeling ready to take one on again! Give yourself some time to rest and try again.

Cake-Happy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cake-Happy Posted 24 Jul 2007 , 10:26pm
post #8 of 15

Don't give up. You'll get better with practice. Try a couple of two tiered cakes, then move up to three later. I've heard others here on CC say they use a small level to insure they are perfectly level, before moving on up to the next tier. We are always our worst critic. No one else probably even noticed. Keep up the good work. HUGS!!!

Yorkiemum Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Yorkiemum Posted 24 Jul 2007 , 10:27pm
post #9 of 15

You did a great job! Don't let that be the first and last. We are all on a learning journey and this is a great place to do the learning. I admire you!

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 24 Jul 2007 , 10:30pm
post #10 of 15

Oh geesh, with all that going on and you still managed to get a 3-tier cake out of it! Good job!!

The dowel-vote has it. Insert one to determine the length, then cut all the others the same length.

Don't give up.....you dun good!

lovinkakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lovinkakes Posted 24 Jul 2007 , 11:37pm
post #11 of 15

Don't ever give up making cakes! This one is fantastic and you're probably just a little bit overwhelmed from doing your OWN cake plus all of the ton of other things you had to do for your own wedding. It's great!

mkolmar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mkolmar Posted 25 Jul 2007 , 5:04am
post #12 of 15

Don't give up! Imagine if some of the greats on here did, we wouldn't have their work to inspire us.

frostingfairy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
frostingfairy Posted 25 Jul 2007 , 3:44pm
post #13 of 15

Thanks for the kind words and encouragement, everyone! I often feel that my ambition exceeds my abilities, and what I see in my head doesn't match the eventual reality. Oh well, I'll keep trying...definitely on a smaller scale icon_lol.gif

hsmomma Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
hsmomma Posted 25 Jul 2007 , 3:54pm
post #14 of 15

Don't give up we all have discouraging moments. I think you did a beautiful job ~ the same size dowels would definitely eliminate the problem. And the more you do...the better you get. You definitely have a GREAT start. I would definitely be proud if I were you!
I've "pulled" my first Wedding Cakes that I did years and years ago out of my portfolio. I felt like they were "damaging" evidence of my then lack of experience. But, looking at them, I'm impressed with where I started and where I am (which is still a loooong way to go!) So, I keep them around for an ego boost when I need it!

armywife1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
armywife1 Posted 25 Jul 2007 , 4:00pm
post #15 of 15

PLEASE DO NOT GIVE UP!!! I think you did a great job, especially for your first one. Keep up the great work! thumbs_up.gifthumbs_up.gif

usaribbon.gifusaribbon.gifusaribbon.gifusaribbon.gifusaribbon.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%